Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Front Range Hosting - Down - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Front Range Hosting - Down

Comments

• Good luck boss

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2013

Saturday, 8:00 AM MST:
    My KVM VPS on Torrey is up. It would not respond to pings or SSH connections when I initially checked, even though the SolusVM control panel said it was running. I used the control panel to do a shutdown and then a boot, and now all is well. The control panel is sending the login notice email messages as expected.

• KrisKris Member

@emg said: The control panel is sending the login notice email messages as expected.

From FaceBook: Torrey is fine (and back up as emg said)

Another update : "We expect to pick up the cards around 2pm from FedEx. Under a blizzard warning so it may take some time to get from there to the datacenter depending on roads."

Good call on using FedEx as previously stated. If you guys need help, I'm currently living in the SE Denver area. (why I got a VPS with you back when I was on the East coast)

Also much respect for going out in this right now, looking outside, it's a proper white-out, and 8 to 14 inches total expected.

• AaronAaron Member

My VPS on Pike node just came up.

Two thumbs up to @FRCorey for his handling of the situation.

• AaronAaron Member

@Jack said: @FRCorey do you offer any SLA for this type of event or ?

TOS States:

Server Uptime Guarantee

Front Range Hosting, LLC guarantees 99.9% service (http, ftp, pop, imap, smtp) uptime on all hosting plans. Should we fail to deliver this for any given calendar month, your account will be refunded a pro-rated amount for the duration of excessive downtime. Uptime guarantee does not apply to scheduled maintenance. Scheduled maintenance will have notifications in advance unless it is an emergency. Emergency maintenance is usually confined to critical zero day security threats that may impact the security of our servers, we will attempt to minimize downtime during these events.

This is silly. I pay $2.81 a month. I'm not expecting an $0.18 credit (48 hours) from @FRCorey.

• jon617jon617 Veteran

I'm back online

• OllieOllie Member

@FRCorey I feel for you dude, you have been so unlucky :<

• my vps at pike is up. thanks @frcorey

• Mine is back online. Thank's corey.

• @Aaron said: This is silly. I pay $2.81 a month. I'm not expecting an $0.18 credit (48 hours) from @FRCorey.

@Jack said: @FRCorey do you offer any SLA for this type of event or ?

We cleaned up the TOS a bit, but yes I do need to add acts of god, but really it was emergency maintenance for the 2nd shutdown.

Reason it's taking so long on Kenobi is A) The force of obviously not with me and B) Whmcs wont do multiple builds in parallel, or the SolusVM module. We could of just clicked Reinstall in SolusVM but it wont reinstall unless it sees the VM config on the box and that's obviously gone. Anyone know a way around that I'm all ears.

If your OpenVZ VPS is not up, open a ticket, if your KVM VPS is not up, login into the VPS control panel and make sure your ISO is not mounted, if it's not, then open a ticket :)

• @Kris said: Also much respect for going out in this right now, looking outside, it's a proper white-out, and 8 to 14 inches total expected.

Snow was not so bad by the datacenter, but I live in North El Paso County and it was pretty bad up here, but just wet roads. Was worse up in Black Forest because the trees keep the road cold and it's all ice and snow up that way. They even closed hwy 24, glad I dont live in Falcon.

Now the wind was another story entirely, I could lean into it and it kept me up.

• While mine was not one of the nodes affected, I really feel for FRH in all this mess, and I just want to say they have done an excellent job not only keeping everyone up to date, but also getting things back together quickly. I hope there are no long-term repercussions.

• Luckily I have just lost a handful of customers so far, most are understanding of the issue and challenges we faced.

• I would hope so. Some people, though, can be very selfish. It's too bad, really - you guys have very good prices/value, yet some people are willing to throw that all away just because of an inevitable failure. Even when it wasn't your fault.

Also, to anyone who has kept track of everything said here, is there a TL;DR version? I usually monitor threads like this pretty closely, but I've been away for a while and don't want to wade through everything.

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited March 2013

@FRCorey said: Luckily I have just lost a handful of customers so far, most are understanding of the issue and challenges we faced.

I'll be honest, I was gonna jump ship, but after reading the reassuring e-mails and updates I would rather suck it up and wait because that shows some true dedication to your work. Can't really complain at all with the promo pricing too.

• Does any VPS provider have their own ups' in racks?

• @bdtech said: Does any VPS provider have their own ups' in racks?

On LEB? I doubt it. It would be very uneconomical. But im sure some vps company does somewhere in the world

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Didn't BuyVM do that recently?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Nick_A said: Didn't BuyVM do that recently?

One better.

We're getting A+B feeds whenever FH has them available.

We'll then plug in ATS units.

Any UPS that could carry 20A is going to either cost a fortune or only give us 1 - 2 minutes to carry.

Francisco

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Zetta said: I'll be honest, I was gonna jump ship, but after reading the reassuring e-mails and updates I would rather suck it up and wait because that shows some true dedication to your work. Can't really complain at all with the promo pricing too.

I agree. Show me another low-end-box that showed this much dedication and communication. They've earned my low-end business.

• Datacenters generally don't allow the customers to have their own UPSes. It's related to fire code (they need to be able to cut the power to everything in emergency). But maybe these requirements can vary from place to place.

• @Francisco also running a UPS behind a UPS is not a good idea. They're designed to receive a true sine wave, analog, but the output is always a digita sine wave. So there's power inefficiency. So I've been told.

The problem though is if you did it would have to be huge to hold the load until the server can shut down all VPS's and power itself off.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I've always heard it's a fire hazard so I've only known of 2 DC's that would allow it, HE and FH if the fire marshal would approve it (unlikely).

We run our strips at 15 - 16A and would simply need a really really huge UPS for each strip and at most it'd buy us a couple minutes to shut things down nasty anyway. Even with Anthony's automation scripts, we're still talking a couple minutes to pull a full node down and at most, we'd be able to ride a 5 - 15 second blip on a fully slammed unit.

Francisco

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member
    edited March 2013

We should have a RFO by monday I hope from Data 102..

Gremlins.

• Okay everyone on Kenobi has been re-provisioned, check your inboxes or spam folders for your VPS Welcome Email.

• emgemg Veteran

I am still waiting to see a final post from FRCorey about how it all worked out - what failed, when the RAID cards arrived and whether they fixed the issues, etc. Is everything back to normal?

• kornnflakekornnflake Member
    edited March 2013

@emg said: Is everything back to normal?

Nope, 2 of 3 kvm nodes are still down...

• @kornnflake

Have you opened a ticket, or better yet, check in the control panel if you still have your ISO mounted, that's about 95% of the reason people cant get to their KVM VPS.

PM Me too which ones you're having issues with.

• @emg

A failed rectifier part on the input side of the UPS failed, causing a reverse current from the batteries and subsequently the UPS detected that and shut itself down, which dropped power to the entire datacenter.

I've talked with some of the Data102 folks about how they can better manage that in a fast and cheap way, and the long term suggestion of multiple UPS systems to cover things. Power was down for approx 20 minutes, but it took some time for upstream ISP's to get their stuff back online along with Data102's network which we use as a backup.

All of this was basically started by a battery overcharge condition. I'll try to copy the RFO into a KB article on our website so you can view it if logged in. I dont think they would like it if we just threw it out on the interwebs :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@FRCorey your datacenter makes a great first impression: