Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seafile accuses Paypal of forcing them to snoop and censor all user data [resolved] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seafile accuses Paypal of forcing them to snoop and censor all user data [resolved]

2»

Comments

• boerndboernd Member

https://seafile.de/en/important-infos-about-app-seafile-de-and-licensing-purchases-through-our-web-shops/

PayPal called us this afternoon to apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that restricting our PayPal account has caused us. They said they made a mistake in our case. We are not a “high risk business” and sufficiently explained our business model to them when they asked us.

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@boernd said:
    https://seafile.de/en/important-infos-about-app-seafile-de-and-licensing-purchases-through-our-web-shops/

PayPal called us this afternoon to apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that restricting our PayPal account has caused us. They said they made a mistake in our case. We are not a “high risk business” and sufficiently explained our business model to them when they asked us.

Good move on both their parts I'd say.

• @jarland said:

@boernd said:

Good move on both their parts I'd say.

So now we may in full integrity be sneery about Paypal? :p

@deadbeef said:
    So now we may in full integrity be sneery about Paypal? :p

Well, not quite an admission of the accusations ;)

I still would like to hear more about that. As far as integrity goes, I have no way of knowing if these people have any more than Jonny Nuggets.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2016

There is an issue here: You cannot impose an NDA on someone you have no connection with, they have nothing to lose if they go full out and I am sure there were plenty of reporters asking questions to other people paypal still does business with.
    As someone said, more of these stories would certainly reinforce the public paranoia about the spooks and censorship. The long history of impunity on strongarming telcos into breaking the law/constitution/human rights and do police/secret service/army/RIAA/etc work for them is about to come to an end when everyone knows what happens and safe means of communication emerge. At the end of the day, if it is as easy and even more free to communicate in safety than through the traditional easy to intercept ways, people WILL choose the former. Right now there is some inertia and the belief it is very complicated to be secure from government eyes, so, "I dont break the law therefore I have nothing to hide" kind of attitude prevails, until the consequences of what is happening will be understood by everyone and the fascist states will become invulnerable face tot heir own citizens.

Thanked by 1jar
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

@jarland just noticed that "allegedly" which you sneaked into my thread title -- without any note of "edited by jarland" anywhere in the post. Also I can't edit the post back, since the time-out has passed. You are rewrote my title to change its meaning, and I can't do anything to fix that. Please in the future mark any such cases of misrepresentation or censorship of other people's posts in a clear and obvious manner. As for this one, please either remove that "allegedly", or change the title to:

Paypal [@jarland: allegedly] tried to strong-arm Seafile into snooping and censoring all user's private content

Thanks

edited June 2016

Accusations without evidence get a less dramatic title. Been true for a long time. If you don't want it to happen to you, be more fair in your thread titles. Don't use them to draw conclusions that you can't back up.

I think my edit was more than fair and extremely factual given the situation. If you want click bait titles where the content doesn't justify the title, use Facebook. I hear it's popular there.

edited June 2016

jarland said: Accusations without evidence get a less dramatic title. Been true for a long time. If you don't want it to happen to you, be more fair in your thread titles. Don't use them to draw conclusions that you can't back up.

I think my edit was more than fair and extremely factual given the situation. If you want click bait titles where the content doesn't match the title, use Facebook. I hear it's popular there.

My request stands. There can be no justification for quietly rewriting people's opinion pieces behind their backs, in effect misusing moderator powers to forcibly attribute your own world views as though that has been posted and agreed with by someone else. Please either flip it back, or add a comment into the title that it has been changed by you. I don't oppose that you changed it, only that you did it quietly and with no note that it has been modified from original.

edited June 2016

Thread title length will only allow 1 added character to what is currently there. Original post changed to indicate edit.

jarland said: Thread title length will only allow 1 added character to what is currently there.

Then, I guess this should fit:

Seafile accuses Paypal of forcing them to snoop and censor all user data [resolved]

Thanked by 1Maounique

Would you prefer that or the edit I've just made to note the title change at the top of your post?

edited June 2016

jarland said: Would you prefer that

Yeah just set this entirely new one, in any case it'd be fair enough to note that this has been resolved.

Done

Thanked by 1rm_