Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canonical attempting to bill OVH for use of the "Ubuntu" trademark - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Canonical attempting to bill OVH for use of the "Ubuntu" trademark

Comments

• RamiRami Member

@jarland said:

Nyr said: Do you really want me to tell? ;)

Heh, that'd be interesting :)

Maybe someone start with D :D

• rds100rds100 Member

So if i ever decide to install Ubuntu am i not allowed to compile and run my own kernel per their ToS? That would be... strange.

• BradNDBradND Member
    edited June 2016

@rds100 said:
    So if i ever decide to install Ubuntu am i not allowed to compile and run my own kernel per their ToS? That would be... strange.

Not what they are saying.

This is a pure commerical stand point - OVH are in effect selling it as "Ubuntu" when infact, in support agreement terms - it is not. They do not mention that the kernel is custom, or that it tracks various things on your server (including file creation tracking).

From a canonical standpoint it is NOT Ubuntu.

The issue is this simple - the OVH kernel could cause issues, thus being blamed as "ubuntu sucks!!!!1" it's brand reprensentation. IT IS NOT Ubuntu in this case.

Thanked by 1tux
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

centOS all the way

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited June 2016

Any redistribution of modified versions of Ubuntu must be approved, certified or provided by Canonical if you are going to associate it with the Trademarks. Otherwise you must remove and replace the Trademarks and will need to recompile the source code to create your own binaries. This does not affect your rights under any open source licence applicable to any of the components of Ubuntu. If you need us to approve, certify or provide modified versions for redistribution you will require a licence agreement from Canonical, for which you may be required to pay. For further information, please contact us (as set out below).

I find these terms very reasonable.

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited June 2016

@rds100 said:

You can make changes to Ubuntu for 
    your own personal use or for your 
    organisation’s own internal use.
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Darwin said: I find these terms very reasonable.

This is bullshit. There is a difference between asking "rename your modified Ubuntu to something else", and quietly trying to extort 1-2 EUR per month, per user. The latter is just downright Microsoft- and Oracle-grade evil.

• lbftlbft Member

I wonder if the people cheering for Canonical realise that if booting a different kernel makes it a modified distro requiring a hefty license fee, then every single OpenVZ VPS running Ubuntu also counts as modified.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • lazytlazyt Member

Well since Canonical is all butt buddy with Microsoft, what do you expect. There's a reason that Microsoft is using Ubuntu to provide the bash in the new 10 builds.

• Ubuntu is the new MS ;)

• BradNDBradND Member

@lbft said:
    I wonder if the people cheering for Canonical realise that if booting a different kernel makes it a modified distro requiring a hefty license fee, then every single OpenVZ VPS running Ubuntu also counts as modified.

Depends if you associate it with the trademarks I guess. But yes - I guess it would apply to OpenVZ too.

• cececece Member

long live debian centos scientificlinux gentoo archlinux freebsd and so on..

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

What people doesn't seem to get is that ANY provider using a template even with the original kernel is technically distributing a modified version of Ubuntu.

This money grab has no justification, sorry.

I remember speaking to some Canonical directives some years ago and they certainly weren't the kind of people which cared about the open source world. They had this "startup entrepreneur mentality" instead, just trying make their product grow and push their shit.

• @Nyr said:
    This money grab has no justification, sorry.

It's legal, what more justification is required?

They had this "startup entrepreneur mentality" instead, just trying make their product grow and push their shit.

The horror! :)

@deadbeef said:

I'm sorry for you if that's all you need to justify an action.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Setsura said: This.

But:

Nyr said: What people doesn't seem to get is that ANY provider using a template even with the original kernel is technically distributing a modified version of Ubuntu.

So:

Nyr said: This money grab has no justification, sorry.

That.

Thanked by 2Nyr lbft
  • @Nyr said:

@deadbeef said:

Don't be, it's not my problem that you dislike Western Civilization.

• @BradND said:

... They do not mention that the kernel is custom, or that it tracks various things on your server (including file creation tracking).

Do you have some proof for this statement? I couldn't find anything on the interwebs.

@deadbeef said:

@Nyr said:

@deadbeef said:

I'm fine with western civilization, not so much with sociopaths.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Rallias said: Or, if you want to shorten it, CuntOS

I like new name for OS, how the original open source and some graphical modification can be changed for? Linux is open source and kernel source is not source or property of Canonical/Ubuntu.

Darwin said: This does not affect your rights under any open source licence applicable to any of the components of Ubuntu.

it does affect the rights, as Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl and all libraries are not components of Canonical or Ubuntu as they never been developed by Canonical!

• @Nyr said:

@deadbeef said:

@Nyr said:

@deadbeef said:

I'm fine with western civilization, not so much with sociopaths.

I think it's rather counterproductive to have such a low opinion about yourself. You are not a sociopath, you're just hateful. Good news is that you can always improve so don't despair already. Learn to love yourself with your faults and things will go better.

• @WebProject said:
    it does affect the rights, as Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl and all libraries are not components of Canonical or Ubuntu as they never been developed by Canonical!

Dude, chew a gum instead of talking nonsense. You can use Apache wherever you like, you just can't take Ubuntu, change it and offer it as "Ubuntu". You can take Ubuntu, change it and sell it offer it as "WebProjectuntu".

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2016

BradND said: Depends if you associate it with the trademarks I guess.

Pretty much impossible not to - at some point, nobody will accept installing "unnamed template #7" on their VPS, you have to use the 'Ubuntu' name (and hence the Ubuntu trademark) to properly describe it to the VPS-buying audience.

• @lbft said:
    Pretty much impossible not to - at some point, nobody will accept installing "unnamed template #7" on their VPS, you have to use the 'Ubuntu' name (and hence the Ubuntu trademark) to properly describe it to the VPS-buying audience.

I'd install something called "OVH fork of Ubuntu 16.04".

• Or simply Obuntu 16.04

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2016

I take your point, but it's not a fork though, it's a template of Ubuntu that, by default, is configured at install time to use OVH's kernel. Everything else comes from Ubuntu signed packages from Ubuntu apt repos.

There's also the issue of GPL compliance - Canonical should be glad that the kernel is GPLv2, because using legal measures to block changing components is one of the things the FSF has been worried about since TiVo.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Nyr said:
    What people doesn't seem to get is that ANY provider using a template even with the original kernel is technically distributing a modified version of Ubuntu.

I still say it is very open to debate if that behavior constitutes "distribution". The underlying question to me is: What make Ubuntu Ubuntu rather than Debian or any other Linux distribution? They can't reasonably lay claims to the kernel. Nor common packages. Nor optional package installation/configuration. A Ford doesn't stop being a Ford if I change the oil and upgrade the stereo.

Thanked by 2netomx MikePT
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2016

I can't help but think this:

No one forced canonical to use Linux. They built on the work of open source community, they'll be held up to the etiquette expected in that community. They're welcome to do what they want. I'm equally as free to not support it. I do not support them charging OVH and DreamHost per VM (if at all). I judge them by this. They do not have my support.

Now, do they need my support? Maybe not. That's fine. But I vote with my wallet and if it's money they want, I personally will not be contributing to it.

• @impossiblystupid said:
    A Ford doesn't stop being a Ford if I change the oil and upgrade the stereo.

If you're a car dealer and you swap out the Ford's stereo for a DIY one and still advertise and sell the car as Ford, do you think they'll have any trouble taking your pants in a lawsuit?