Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Tor VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Tor VPS

2»

Comments

• Little bit offtopic
    How can I know if I have a non-US ip?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

OK so first of all, anyone who doesn't see a difference between a Tor RELAY node and EXIT node, is a f*cking retard. Hint: you do NOT get any abuse reports on RELAY nodes, never ever, it is not technically possible.

Second, 500 GB of bandwidth is ...nothing. I am not sure it is even worth paying $20/yr for. 5-10TB is where you should even begin to consider to be bothered to run a node. OK it might be more expensive; but not by much, and if you pay 2-3x and receive 20x more bandwidth, it doesn't sound like a bad deal, no?

Sooo just be on lookout for 5+TB transfer offers or "traffic flat rate" ones (1-2TB/mo + unmetered 10 Mbit afterwards); there are quite a lot of those, I did not try any of the recent ones personally, so don't have anything to suggest to you at the moment.

Keep in mind Tor will also use quite a bit of CPU, if the host doesn't have AES acceleration. The RAM is non issue, recent versions using updated OpenSSL can fit in ~128 MB, but consider you need 256 just to be safe.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A few rotten tomatoes can ruin a usially perfect soup.

By the writing here and other TOR threads I get the general idea of whats different (no need to explain it more, thank you) but I do not like being called a f*cking retard, because I have other interests.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Voss said: I'm guessing that e-mails will be sent out concerning the change in the TOS/AUP?

TL;DR - it's all in the clients favor and should give them more control over bad situations

Yep. The changes actually relax a lot of things, addresses resource abuse cases and finally outlines our full stance on user privacy.

This week/next week we're rolling out our new monitoring platform that will automatically handle resource abuse, namely:

• Compromised container (auto suspend, ticket user, help them clean up)
    • Malicious scripts (suspend, ticket user, wait for permission to login to CT to confirm who launched said app)
    • Running resource intensive scripts (cap CPU to reasonable level or renice process and email users stallion email )
    • super high loads (stallion email messaged once past a certain thresh, stopping the VPS once past a 'too high' mark and again, another email informing them)

Once we have a .32 kernel we're happy with we'll be able to introduce proper I/O monitoring for users as well as capping for way over the top users.

All of the above would have ended with users getting suspended, ticketed, and a strike marked against them for being abusive.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@FRCorey said: Problem with relays is that it's a config change and a restart to turn it into a exit.

That's what the public TOR node list is for.