Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

802.11 ax | breaking 10gbps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• I'm still on 802.11n, not even AC yet...

• This si great for public spaces since it can use a far larger total bandwidth but this does not mean it may have a large bandwidth increase for a single user over AC.

This standard would be great in public areas due to the spacings and the fact it can handle more users... My university is starting to deploy AC etc and since then the data rates have increased BUT the outgoing/incoming backhaul has not.

Most of the standards like AX and others onward may not be a great thing if its a single home. Now if its an apartment or apartment complex then yes i think AX will be a fantastic idea. More users in less bandwidth but more chances and more devices connected..

I would say it is a get.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Then you actually try and use it in a house with 36 inch thick stone walls and you still only get 10mbit on a good day :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Then you actually try and use it in a house with 36 inch thick stone walls and you still only get 10mbit on a good day :)

The White House?

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    I'm still on 802.11n, not even AC yet...

Isn't n faster than ac?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Someday it will seem slow.

• Considering that's at 160mhz channels, you're talking SUPER line of site requirements or it's flat out not going to work.

• CartmanCartman Member

This is going to be sooooooooooo useful like 5G... Damn it. Hey look I have that fukn fast AX WiFi but I have to sit on my router to connect to it.

How useful can it be when the distance is so damn short. I have an AC router and it barely connects in my office room while n is working even if on a low level. Most of the time that AC AP is not even visible because the signal is too short to be picked up.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Cartman said: How useful can it be when the distance is so damn short.

And I thought it was the problem with my router

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2016

@netomx said:

Cartman said: How useful can it be when the distance is so damn short.

And I thought it was the problem with my router

In Toronto, our carriers force us to be happy with $100/mo 25 Mbps down/10 Mbps up DSL...

Long story short: we need fiber. Such a developed city stuck with slow Internet or 100 Mbps cable (you will almost never get more than 30 Mbps for it). I heard that Bell was installing fiber in Scarborough (a part in Toronto), so I'm excited about that. (probably won't get it since they'll charge like $2938830/mo for 1 Gbit.)

Oh yeah - they should fix the aging infrastructure too. When it rains, the DSL takes a crap out the door and drops from advertised to anything below 0.1 Mbps. So basically, we don't even need N speeds yet, the router will never be used at it's full capacity :/

• @AnthonySmith said:

Naw, you can get like 300 repeaters... Warning: expect a max of 10.1 Mbps :)

doghouch said: $100/mo 25 Mbps down/10 Mbps up DSL...

$60 for 200mbps unmetered :)

• @netomx said:

Where :o

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@netomx said:

30 USD for 200mbps unmetered, Portugal :)

doghouch said: Where :o

MX

MrGeneral said: 30 USD for 200mbps unmetered, Portugal :)

But Portugal sucks... :P

• pailypaily Member

This could be very usefull for my 6mbit DSL connection. :p

• @Cartman said:
    This is going to be sooooooooooo useful like 5G... Damn it. Hey look I have that fukn fast AX WiFi but I have to sit on my router to connect to it.

How useful can it be when the distance is so damn short. I have an AC router and it barely connects in my office room while n is working even if on a low level. Most of the time that AC AP is not even visible because the signal is too short to be picked up.

I live in an apartment complex and my ASUS 2400 can be seen across the street and connectable. and across the the way. I can connect to it all over the complex(10 units)..... It would be your router at that point.

Get a decent router.

• noamannoaman Member

Well i have. A tplink n router... And i am satisfied since... Internet bandwith isn't much ovrr here....

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

Well, while you may currently be unable to benefit from it at home, surely your wireless ISP using WiFi in their core will be able to deliver higher bandwidth to the distribution points, potentially avoiding the bottlenecks in the core.

• tommytommy Member

Cant wait these wireless to extend my 10 Mbps internet

• @cmsjr123 said:

@Cartman said:

I live in an apartment complex and my ASUS 2400 can be seen across the street and connectable. and across the the way. I can connect to it all over the complex(10 units)..... It would be your router at that point.

Get a decent router.

Just get one of those directional antennas. If you're on a high floor, aim it out through the balcony :D

• Sounds perfect for fhe new 10Gbit home connections here in Singapore!

• @doghouch said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@Cartman said:

Get a decent router.

Just get one of those directional antennas. If you're on a high floor, aim it out through the balcony :D

Lol for me no need as my router works fine with 4 built in attenas still.

But i am on the second floor So i feel i may be at an advantage lol.

But i know a lot of people who buy cheap routers with newer tech and expect it to be great.

Many people do need to realize what they spend on stuff does relate to performance and this is rarely proven wrong.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Clouvider said:
    Well, while you may currently be unable to benefit from it at home, surely your wireless ISP using WiFi in their core will be able to deliver higher bandwidth to the distribution points, potentially avoiding the bottlenecks in the core.

We actually discussed this at work today, I believe the reaction was "so, when a bird decides to fly in the path of a backhaul and it disassociates, then what" :)

• @Safehousecloud said:
    Sounds perfect for fhe new 10Gbit home connections here in Singapore!

You got 10gbps? For company gotta be expensive, can't wait for the price to drop so I can afford to subscribe to that for residential :)

cries on 200mbps stinktel

• noamannoaman Member

@Safehousecloud said:

Over here... If you have a ten mbps connections DSL... You are considered lucky...

Overe here 4G is at 20-50MbPS

• But not even 200 Mbit fiber is available here.

• @theroyalstudent said:

@Safehousecloud said:

You got 10gbps? For company gotta be expensive, can't wait for the price to drop so I can afford to subscribe to that for residential :)

Der> @theroyalstudent said:

@Safehousecloud said:

Yes at the moment it's still expensive but when you see the residential prices for 1 Gbit and even VQ offers now 10Gbits for a very good pricing I think it will be cheaper soon.

• @noaman said:

@Safehousecloud said:

Over here... If you have a ten mbps connections DSL... You are considered lucky...

Overe here 4G is at 20-50MbPS

Ouch where are you from?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

$120 for an internet speed between 1 and 30 mbps (more likely to be ~8mbps). Quite often includes at least 50% Packet Loss.