Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

been out of the vps loop, who is the ramnode of 2016?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

been out of the vps loop, who is the ramnode of 2016?

I've been sticking to dedicated the past year but now need a rock solid xen/kvm vps for a client friend with lesser load needs.

Ramnode was all the rage for reliable when I stopped looking, but their prices seem to have stayed the same and discounts gone away in 2016

So are there better values now with up and coming competition?

Probably need west coast for asia support, 1GB ram, 2 core, 20GB SSD - can we get under $100 annual for xen/kvm and non-flaky hosting?

TIA for suggestions

Comments

• trvztrvz Member

BuyVM.

• RamNode

Thanked by 2yomero Nick_A
  • wwwcomwwwcom Member

So ramnode 2016 is still as good as ramnode 2014 eh? :-)

But the discounts have gone away.

Over $100 annual for those minimal specs seems overpriced these days.

Doesn't have to be $50 but there has to be some middle ground somewhere.

• @wwwcom said:
    So ramnode 2016 is still as good as ramnode 2014 eh? :-)

But the discounts have gone away.

The discounts went because of cheaper overall prices, also the standard plans offer more bang for your buck than the premium plans (unless you need the higher clock speeds of an E3 over an E5, etc)

But I've also heard really good things about HostUS, and their places are pretty cheap.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@wwwcom said:

Insert the facepalm gif of your choice.

Can you find better specs for cheaper? Sure.

But you say you want rock solid reliability...

@wwwcom said:

Why?

Thanked by 3Nick_A Nekki netomx
  • teamaccteamacc Member

BuyVM are quite nice, but they recently have had some issues with their upstream (only on ddos protected ips in LA). Communication about it was very good, but issues are issues.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • tommytommy Member

Get dediserve vps. Out there many provider offer super cheap vps for super big ram but with thousand of limitation, so carefull :)

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • elgselgs Member

How do you think about DO compared to RamNode?

• wwwcomwwwcom Member

@teamacc said:
    BuyVM are quite nice, but they recently have had some issues with their upstream (only on ddos protected ips in LA

You mean Vegas? They aren't in LA, only Vegas NJ and Lux

• tommytommy Member
    edited May 2016

@elgs said:

ramnode -1, do -1

• @GCat said:
    ProTLD Network

Best network ever... They offer everything for free. They must be charity!

• dailydaily Member

@tommy said:

@elgs said:

ramnode -1, do -1

What does this mean?

• teamaccteamacc Member

@wwwcom said:

@teamacc said:
    BuyVM are quite nice, but they recently have had some issues with their upstream (only on ddos protected ips in LA

You mean Vegas? They aren't in LA, only Vegas NJ and Lux

Damn, you're right. My bad.

• tommytommy Member

I dont know

• raindog308 said: But you say you want rock solid reliability...

That's no valid reason for high prices. You're basically saying, pay us more for no reason & maybe we'll give a damn in case something somewhere gets broken even if it's our fault.

• For KVM, @dediserve, Buyvm.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @dotted said:

raindog308 said: But you say you want rock solid reliability...

That's no valid reason for high prices. You're basically saying, pay us more for no reason & maybe we'll give a damn in case something somewhere gets broken even if it's our fault.

No. You're paying more because you get more. One of the "more" things you get is reliability.

I've been with RamNode for years and the worst I've experienced was about 4-hours of downtime a few weeks ago when their Atlanta switch failed. That's 99.978% uptime for which I paid $30 USD (I'm only counting the one VPS instance here, I have others that have had no downtime during the same period of time and if I threw them into the mix the uptime percentage gets even higher.)

• LeeLee Veteran

dotted said: That's no valid reason for high prices. You're basically saying, pay us more for no reason & maybe we'll give a damn in case something somewhere gets broken even if it's our fault.

Of course there is. There is a significant difference from a host that charges $30 per month just because he can and a provider that charges it because they actually pay staff, colo their own self built hardware, are really there 24/7 and so on.

If you want cheap that's fine, if you want LET cheap then fine also but set your standards low. Rock solid reliability does not come at LET prices, they come with a game, it's called chance.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @dotted said:
    That's no valid reason for high prices.

What? When was the last time you bought a car? Booked a airpline ticket? Went to the dentist?

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @deadbeef said:

@dotted said:
    That's no valid reason for high prices.

What? When was the last time you bought a car? Booked a airpline ticket? Went to the dentist?

Good thing is, in Germany doctor appointments are free. No exceptions made.

Thanked by 1GoatSeller
  • So it's basically a mandatory unjustified tipping system. Give us more for no reason or we'll spit in your food next time... Noice

• NekkiNekki Veteran

dotted said: So it's basically a mandatory unjustified tipping system. Give us more for no reason or we'll spit in your food next time... Noice

You're an idiot.

• ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited May 2016

nvm.

• @Nekki said:

dotted said: So it's basically a mandatory unjustified tipping system. Give us more for no reason or we'll spit in your food next time... Noice

You're an idiot.

Sure but aren't you supposed to be shitposting ? Or is it against your interests this time ? :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

dotted said: Sure but aren't you supposed to be shitposting ? Or is it against your interests this time ? :)

I don't know what 'shitposting' is, or what you're implying.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

DigitalOcean or any other similar company. Most of company are good specially well established company.

• kaflokaflo Member

ImpactVPS

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635