Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web Based SSH? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web Based SSH?

13»

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@Corey said: Because you don't know how to use it.

+1 I used to hate it back when I was a noob, still am but less so, but you'll learn to love it as you get more experienced. Nano is great, but vi is just as great.

@Raymii said: Ever heard of ssh keys?

:X Yikes, if he hasn't figured that out then mmm.. idk what to say.

• While we are talking about editors, JOE is much better for scripting.

• As much as I am starting to agree with others here that you a defiantly not setup to be in this business, I will still offer you what should have been an obvious answer if you actually read posts on this site other than the 12312412421 million posts of your own.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/214837

JuiceSSH supplies you with an special on screen keyboard you can access by simply tapping on the screen that will provide you special keys like ctrl. Install it and you likely will never go back to connectbot.

Cheers!

• I understand Vi pissing someone off, I hate it.

• CoreyCorey Member

@24khost said: I understand Vi pissing someone off, I hate it.

You should use vim... most OS come with vi linked to vim already.

• I like nano for it's ease of use.

• @24khost JOES is way more cool!

• @24khost said: I like nano for it's ease of use.

I agree, very simple to use. But of course it's all preference :)

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited March 2013

JOES? will take a look maybe I found a new toy!

-nope I like the commands with the control key.

• CoreyCorey Member

nano is harder to use once you learn vim

• ummmmm I don't think so. I guess harder is easier for me. Nano pisses me off.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited March 2013

@NHRoel said: @vld no. It is not a hosting company. It is an enterprise.

We need the thanks button back! I spat out my drink at this.

• As someone who has been using *nix since ~1996: I prefer nano over vi. This is probably due to being raised on DOS, and being trained that CTRL and ALT are what you use for commands.

This isn't to say I don't use vi(m), but I like my nano for its CTRL-k, CTRL-w, CTRL-o, CTRL-j, etc.

• JacobJacob Member

I use nano for search function, I always use vi, but can never remember how to search...

@Damian said: I prefer nano over vi

• gracagraca Member

1+ for joe editor
    anyone who likes to work with ctrl+keys should try it.
    hit ctrl+kh to pop up the help windows

• @Jacob said: I use nano for search function, I always use vi, but can never remember how to search...

I use nano for everything. But every once in a while I do need vi/vim.

also Search is just / then search term. then to go to the next one just type / [enter key].

• @KernelSanders said: Yeah I agree. It's going to be harder to brute force a few phrases than it is to brute force a bunch of random characters.

Isn't that just another form of security-by-obscurity?

Measures should be in place to stop brute force attempts after x attempts.

• @sleddog said: Isn't that just another form of security-by-obscurity?

Measures should be in place to stop brute force attempts after x attempts.

Well obviously, but like others have said, it's an extra layer on top of what layers of security you should have..

• @Corey said: @24khost said: I understand Vi pissing someone off, I hate it.

You should use vim... most OS come with vi linked to vim already.

@HalfEatenPie said: @Jacob said: I use nano for search function, I always use vi, but can never remember how to search...

I use nano for everything. But every once in a while I do need vi/vim.

also Search is just / then search term. then to go to the next one just type / [enter key].

You lazy bastards. "Real Men" use Ed: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/ed_cheatsheet.html :P

But on the subject, is this lad running a bussiness? If that is the case, wouldn't that mean he has little to no knowledge of what he is doing?

• @Raymii said: But on the subject, is this lad running a bussiness? If that is the case, wouldn't that mean he has little to no knowledge of what he is doing?

Yes, and yes

• @texteditor said: Yes, and yes

Holidays did not start yet right?

• @Raymii said: Holidays did not start yet right?

No, someone just isn't involved in after-school activities

• @sleddog - no it's not security by obscurity, you need a pass phrase that will stand up to offline attack. If someone manages to get a DB/passwd dump they can brute-force it all they want