Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web Based SSH? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web Based SSH?

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    1. The access key is slightly more complicated. For this, you need to open up the configuration.php file for your WHMCS installation and add a line to it such as the one below:

$api_access_key = "abc123";

The abc123 in the above should be replaced with a random series of letters and numbers, you can think of it like a second password, and that same value is what you'll need to enter into the Access Key field on your phone

http://docs.whmcs.com/AWHMCS_Android_App

• @shovenose said: @Corey not it does not anything... I try to tap it and it disappears. LG Optimus G on Android 4.0.4

It dissapears when you click it on purpose, this means it is activated.
    Why can't you do
    vi configuration.php

and then change that $api_access_key ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This works: http://gotossh.com/

Then: AjaxTerm.

But more importantly: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/213420

• Nano doesn't work? Use vi

• @tech163 said: Nano doesn't work? Use vi

Agreed

I hate it

• @shovenose said: I hate it

Because you don't know how to use it.

• biplabbiplab Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose,

It seems you are ignoring power of Hackers Keyboard. Use it and it has all keys you need to operate nano inside ConnectBot.

Alternatively press On-screen Ctrl key (in ConnectBot) and then press any key to simulate Ctrl+Key combination. ConnectBot cursor will change when the On-screen Ctrl Key is pressed.

• Shovenose, shutdown shovehost until you learn vi and how to configure ssh

@texteditor I don't think I'm going to give you the satisfaction of me closing down a profitable enterprise with hundreds if customers. Not counting VPS, just web hosting, we server tens of millions of page views a month.

• sometimes its a combination of volume +-.
    and how about run a rdp vpa which is exclusively for accessing the server later(for a backup if we have problem like this)

• @shovenose said: I don't think I'm going to give you the satisfaction of me closing down a profitable enterprise with hundreds if customers. Not counting VPS, just web hosting, we server tens of millions of page views a month.

I'm just saying, might wanna learn your stuff before time inevitably shuts it down for you

• @shovenose said: a profitable enterprise with hundreds if customers

lol, I have a dream too sometimes

• Seems that the bar for entry into the hosting business is set too low sometimes.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: same password
    @shovenose said: stay secure

@tech163 said: Nano doesn't work? Use vi
    @shovenose said: I hate it

I normally stay out of these types of things but REALLY? You should never use the same password twice. I mean I do for forums and such but critical stuff? Also you still have passwords enabled in SSH?

How do you not have access to your servers where ever you are? If I'm going somewhere where I know my phone might not get reception or will go flat I always take a laptop and broadband dongle. If you don't have access to your servers how do you expect you will fix things or even help your customers?

vi is just as easy to use as nano. If you don't know how to use both you are really in the wrong business. I would suggest you buy a beginners guide to Linux book and read ALL of it. I'm not ashamed to say that I have one and a lot more others on my bookshelf. They are an interesting read and sometimes a much quicker reference than the internet.

@shovenose you have a responsibility to your customers. Stand by it.

That's the end of my rant. If you got this far through, thank you ;)

Also why is this in the Offers section?
    EDIT: Just realised it's probably so he doesn't get more embarrassed. As these don't get pushed to the top....

@trewq I didn't do it on purpose. Ever heard of a mistake?

• vedranvedran Veteran

Fixed it for you

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: i see it but how to press it?

Touch the screen.

Or, use Hacker's Keyboard or get a device w/hardware keyboard.

Bluetooth keyboards for your phone are cheap on DealExtreme or eBay

If you must use a PC, try tethering your phone, or setting up an SSH tunnel or VPN.

• Use liftoff software's gateone.

Amazing piece of software.

http://liftoff.github.com/GateOne/About/index.html

• vldvld Member

And this guy runs a hosting company?

• @vld no. It is not a hosting company. It is an enterprise.

• Web Based SSH?

I need to edit my WHMCS license key in configuration.php and add an api access key for the Android WHMCS app.

How can I do this now?

Have you considered using managed hosting? If you signed up for managed hosting they'd take care of software installation for you so you wouldn't have to worry about complicated things like license keys, editing configuration files, and how to use SSH. I hear that KnownHost is supposed to be really good. Check the offers section on WHT for coupons.

• Passwords for SSH? Ever heard of ssh keys? And to answer your question, Ajenti has a very nice web console. You could also run ssh on port 443, even with https via port multiplexing: http://www.rutschle.net/tech/sslh

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@trewq said: You should never use the same password twice.

Possibly the best, simplest thing you can security-wise.

My PasswordSafe DB has more 300 entries...

• skssks Member

@NHRoel said: @vld no. It is not a hosting company. It is an enterprise.

This made my day.

• @raindog308 said: @trewq said: You should never use the same password twice.

Never make up your own password, use Keepass or Lastpass or grc.com to generate them.

• edited March 2013

@Raymii said: @raindog308 said: @trewq said: You should never use the same password twice.

Never make up your own password, use Keepass or Lastpass or grc.com to generate them.

Also, don't rely on third-party software for complete security.

Lastly, "randomized" passwords aren't more secure. Using 2+ phrases for a password, separated by a character or more (like spaces) is more secure, easier to remember, and saner.

• Yeah I agree. It's going to be harder to brute force a few phrases than it is to brute force a bunch of random characters.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013