Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 16.04 on OpenVZ providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 16.04 on OpenVZ providers?

2»

Comments

• MunMun Member

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Andreix said: that is not qualified as a backdoor

I would say that leaving your public key there surely qualifies as a backdoor, even if it was quickly corrected.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Andreix said: "the author has declined to fix this" - with all the respect, this is bullshit made up by you sir. Have you (or any other member) contacted me regarding this and I said "No" ? The only PM I got was from @Francisco and then I realized that I left some public keys there and updated it.

OK, so that's new information. To be completely transparent, Francisco contacted me and raised the concern. I have no problem if your template is fixed but that wasn't the case when Francisco talked to me.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

@raindog308 said:

Andreix said: "the author has declined to fix this" - with all the respect, this is bullshit made up by you sir. Have you (or any other member) contacted me regarding this and I said "No" ? The only PM I got was from @Francisco and then I realized that I left some public keys there and updated it.

OK, so that's new information. To be completely transparent, Francisco contacted me and raised the concern. I have no problem if your template is fixed but that wasn't the case when Francisco talked to me.

I appreciate that at least now you told the truth. Thank you sir.

@Nyr - It wasn't really a backdoor as SSH wasn't accepting publickey login, but only password. Also those keys were for the "default user" ubuntu require when installing, which was deleted afterwards. So, either way, you wouldn't be able to login with those.

Now the thing was fixed.

• elgselgs Member

@Andreix said:
    For anyone interested, you can get the KVM version from here as well: http://templates.hetnix.com/kvm/linux-ubuntu-16.04-server-x86_64-min-gen2-v1.gz

Default details available here: http://templates.hetnix.com/kvm/a-default-details.txt

Thanks. I got this warning while running apt-get upgrade:

Configuring libc6──────────────────────────────────────────────┐
    │ Kernel version not supported │
    │ │
    │ This version of the GNU libc requires kernel version 3.2 or later. Older versions might work but are │
    │ not officially supported. Please consider upgrading your kernel.

• MunMun Member

@elgs said:

@Andreix said:
    For anyone interested, you can get the KVM version from here as well: http://templates.hetnix.com/kvm/linux-ubuntu-16.04-server-x86_64-min-gen2-v1.gz

Default details available here: http://templates.hetnix.com/kvm/a-default-details.txt

Thanks. I got this warning while running apt-get upgrade:

Configuring libc6──────────────────────────────────────────────┐
    │ Kernel version not supported │
    │ │
    │ This version of the GNU libc requires kernel version 3.2 or later. Older versions might work but are │
    │ not officially supported. Please consider upgrading your kernel.

Well of course, that is because you are using openvz. Openvz forces 2.6 kernel, this the error. If you want it fixed use kvm or lxc.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Mun said: If you want it fixed use kvm or lxc.

I used a Proxmox lxc template and spiffed it up for OpenVZ, working great on my Solus VZ nodes

• MunMun Member

@miTgiB said:

Mun said: If you want it fixed use kvm or lxc.

I used a Proxmox lxc template and spiffed it up for OpenVZ, working great on my Solus VZ nodes

Were you able to get passed 2.6 kernel on ovz?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Mun said: Were you able to get passed 2.6 kernel on ovz?

No issue, Openvz is 2.6.32 and apt-get update & & apt-get upgrade didn't bitch at all, but getting the console working in Proxmox is still waging war with me

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

sman said: How do you know it's 'faster'. Because it uses a bigger number than PHP5 and is newer and more shiny? I am guessing a lot of apps won't run on php7 amirite? Debian 8 has been out for quite some time now running systemd. Ubuntu 16 is largely based on that is it not?

How do I know it's faster? Because I'm using it and see it first hand and as @Nyr has said, there's a wealth of benchmarks that show the speed improvements. You're absolutely correct that new and shiny isn't always better but Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is a solid server distro supported for 5 years and PHP7 has been out for awhile now. I have servers running Debian 8 and running Ubuntu 16.04 and both are great.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@elgs - That's a KVM template, not an OVZ.

• elgselgs Member

@Andreix said:
    @elgs - That's a KVM template, not an OVZ.

Aha! Thanks.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Full explanation:

• @Andreix linked up the template
    • I pulled it down to make sure it was kosher (namely SSH host keys)
    • I reported the issue to @Andreix in PM to which they weren't overly concerned
    • I reported the post instead of arguing or pointing it out in public
    • @Andreix replied some time later saying he touched up the template

I'm not trying to stir the pot on this or start drama, I simply don't want people getting compromised over someones good intentions, that's all.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Francisco said: someones good intentions

It was a misunderstanding

@miTgiB said:

Francisco said: someones good intentions

It was a misunderstanding

It was @Andreix's good intentions by releasing the template for those interested to use :)

Anyway, if its been fixed up and there's an auto regenerate option, then fantastic.

Francisco

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Francisco said: It was a misunderstanding

I think Tim is just making an internal joke :P

It was just a misunderstanding.

@Nyr said:

Francisco said: It was a misunderstanding

I think Tim is just making an internal joke :P

It was just a misunderstanding.

Oh this is the new 'do the needful'.

I hate you all :(

Francisco

@Francisco said:
    I hate you all :(

Whatever, drama queen!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • smansman Member
    edited May 2016

@sin said:

sman said: How do you know it's 'faster'. Because it uses a bigger number than PHP5 and is newer and more shiny? I am guessing a lot of apps won't run on php7 amirite? Debian 8 has been out for quite some time now running systemd. Ubuntu 16 is largely based on that is it not?

How do I know it's faster? Because I'm using it and see it first hand and as @Nyr has said, there's a wealth of benchmarks that show the speed improvements. You're absolutely correct that new and shiny isn't always better but Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is a solid server distro supported for 5 years and PHP7 has been out for awhile now. I have servers running Debian 8 and running Ubuntu 16.04 and both are great.

Only thing worth upgrading to this for is systemd and already using Debian 8 for that. Don't care about the PHP stuff. Just want it as stable as possible and php7 looks to me to be too new and shiny to be stable and secure.

I doubt PHP7 is much faster on an apples to apples using the same built in functions. Probably some new functions that make it faster. Anyways, php5 works just fine for what I am doing.

sman said: Only thing worth upgrading to this for is systemd

• @raindog308 said:

What? People upgrade for systemd? Is it really that good? Not used to it argh, I don't get it... Maybe I should really go do some reading up about that.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2016

@raindog308 said:

Not sure what your point is. Unless you plan to fight systemd to the bitter end or something which is completely illogical and futile but best of luck with that skippy. I think you will have about as much luck as declaring yourself a sovereign citizen not required to pay your taxes.

• Sigh. Opens systemd manual.

LTS gave me sanity, and now THIS