Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 16.04 on OpenVZ providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 16.04 on OpenVZ providers?

RaymiiRaymii Member

I was looking to reinstall some OpenVZ machines but nobody except for KVM providers (RAMnode) seems to have an OpenVZ 16.04 image. Any providers want to give an ETA? Or does anybody know of an OpenVZ provider that already has 16.04?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

The template on OpenVZ for Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't work properly, seems like issue with different kernel versions which is probably why nobody really offers it. I'd love to see someone that does have it working across multiple systems though.

• rds100rds100 Member

You can always try to install ubuntu 14.04 and upgrade it to 16.04, see if it works.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

OVZ hasn't made any official templates for whatever reason.

With that being said I'll be knocking out some templates in the next couple hours :) I didn't even notice that we didn't have it built.

Francisco

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

There you have it: (removed by mod)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Tried making a quick one and it won't boot on 2.6.32-042stab113.11 test node but will on lower version, wtf!

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

I upgraded (do-release-upgrade -d) all of my Ubuntu 14.04 openvz vpses to Ubuntu 16.04 and it works fine

Speaking of which...I'm loving Ubuntu 16.04, I even switched a few Debian Jessie servers to Ubuntu 16.04.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited May 2016

@Andreix said:
    There you have it: (removed by mod)

Thanks, will try this one today. Unfortunately isn't a slim template

• smansman Member

If Debian 8 works then I am sure they can make one for Ubuntu v16.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@sin said:
    I upgraded (do-release-upgrade -d) all of my Ubuntu 14.04 openvz vpses to Ubuntu 16.04 and it works fine

I tried that but got a lot of boot errors and systemd failures. Do note that that was on a personal Proxmox box with OpenVZ.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

@Raymii said:

@sin said:

I tried that but got a lot of boot errors and systemd failures. Do note that that was on a personal Proxmox box with OpenVZ.

I share the same experience. Also got systemd failures, so upgrading this way on OpenVZ is not recommended.
    Official OpenVZ templates are almost always launched months after the OS release :-(

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

LiteServer said: Also got systemd failures

It was probably systemd-sysctl.service which you can just do systemctl disable systemd-sysctl.service and then systemctl mask systemd-sysctl.service

I've done the upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 (and from 15.10 to 16.04) on multiple openvz providers (ramnode, securedragon, mikrovps, nodeserv, etc) and it worked on those at least.

But yeah it would be nice if there were some official openvz templates :(

-edit- forgot to add that I always get that warning when upgrading to 16.04 that says something like this kernel is to old for libc6, consider upgrading or something. So far everything has been running fine though but I'm only using my openvz 16.04 vpses for LEMP stacks and nothing else. Most of my stuff is on KVM like my wonderful Liteserver.nl KVM Ubuntu 16.04 install ;-)

Thanked by 1LiteServer
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@sin said:
    It was probably systemd-sysctl.service which you can just do systemctl disable systemd-sysctl.service and then systemctl mask systemd-sysctl.service

I've done the upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 (and from 15.10 to 16.04) on multiple openvz providers (ramnode, securedragon, mikrovps, nodeserv, etc) and it worked on those at least.

But yeah it would be nice if there were some official openvz templates :(

-edit- forgot to add that I always get that warning when upgrading to 16.04 that says something like this kernel is to old for libc6, consider upgrading or something. So far everything has been running fine though but I'm only using my openvz 16.04 vpses for LEMP stacks and nothing else. Most of my stuff is on KVM like my wonderful Liteserver.nl KVM Ubuntu 16.04 install ;-)

Well I must admit that I haven't spend any time on debugging that upgrading issue @ OpenVZ.
    Just gave it a quick try to see if I was able to upgrade a test VPS to 16.04.
    Might give it another try soon with disabling systemd like you did :-)

And thanks for your kind words. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your LiteServer KVM VPS! :-)

• sandrosandro Member
    edited May 2016

What are the changes for the server version from 14.04 anyway?

For anyone interested, you can get the KVM version from here as well: http://templates.hetnix.com/kvm/linux-ubuntu-16.04-server-x86_64-min-gen2-v1.gz

Default details available here: http://templates.hetnix.com/kvm/a-default-details.txt

Thanked by 3MikePT vimalware elgs
  • sonicsonic Veteran

VPSDime

Thanked by 2Damian JunkGrave
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • Leaving this here just in case anyone is interested: http://104.237.2.221/ubuntu-16.04-os-minimal.tar.gz

It's the minimal version of the template that has been built by us.

• awvnxawvnx Member

@Francisco
    You guys should update your order page to reflect the containers that can be installed. I almost didn't order from buyvm since they were so outdated but I saw the full list in the management console afterwards.

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@awvnx said:
    @Francisco
    You guys should update your order page to reflect the containers that can be installed. I almost didn't order from buyvm since they were so outdated but I saw the full list in the management console afterwards.

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Good call :) I'll get that done for the morning.

Francisco

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

sandro said: What are the changes for the server version from 14.04 anyway?

There's a lot of changes, one of the bigger ones is the move to systemd and for those serving websites that use things like Wordpress it comes with PHP7 by default (which is a lot faster then the version provided by default in Debian 8 or Ubuntu 14.04).

Thanked by 1sandro
  • RaymiiRaymii Member

For me it's LXC/LXD (but that's not possible on OpenVZ) and, for web services, OpenSSL 1.0.2g (which allows HTTP/2 with ALPN instead of NPN), and Apache 2.4 and PHP 7.

Thanked by 1sin
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Andreix said: There you have it

I've removed the link because these templates have pre-genned SSH keys and the author has declined to fix this. Essentially this template has a backdoor. I'm not saying the author intended this or intends to exploit it, but it's poor practice.

Thanked by 2Nyr emg
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

raindog308 said: I've removed the link because these templates have pre-genned SSH keys and the author has declined to fix this. Essentially this template has a backdoor. I'm not saying the author intended this or intends to exploit it, but it's poor practice.

Any competent provider should not be using untested templates provided by others, to start with.

But thanks for noticing.

edited May 2016

@raindog308 said:

Andreix said: There you have it

I've removed the link because these templates have pre-genned SSH keys and the author has declined to fix this. Essentially this template has a backdoor. I'm not saying the author intended this or intends to exploit it, but it's poor practice.

Hello there,

I appreciate the warning, however, the SSH keys were removed and the template was re-uploaded.
    It's true that I forgot to post an update but it was fairly late here at that moment.
    @Francisco told me that in a PM and he can confirm (if he want to) that I've updated the template.

Also, can you please name the backdoor ? As I honestly think that you simply said that based on a hunch.

Thank you.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2016

@Nyr said:

raindog308 said: I've removed the link because these templates have pre-genned SSH keys and the author has declined to fix this. Essentially this template has a backdoor. I'm not saying the author intended this or intends to exploit it, but it's poor practice.

Any competent provider should not be using untested templates provided by others, to start with.

But thanks for noticing.

Any competent provider should understand how to install an OS and create templates period.

@sin said:

sandro said: What are the changes for the server version from 14.04 anyway?

There's a lot of changes, one of the bigger ones is the move to systemd and for those serving websites that use things like Wordpress it comes with PHP7 by default (which is a lot faster then the version provided by default in Debian 8 or Ubuntu 14.04).

How do you know it's 'faster'. Because it uses a bigger number than PHP5 and is newer and more shiny? I am guessing a lot of apps won't run on php7 amirite? Debian 8 has been out for quite some time now running systemd. Ubuntu 16 is largely based on that is it not?

Newer and more shiny seems to be the biggest reason which is not much of a reason at all. At least for server stuff. Desktop is a different thing because of all the GUI stuff but that is not what you would be running it on OpenVZ for.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

sman said: How do you know it's 'faster'. Because it uses a bigger number than PHP5 and is newer and more shiny?

Check some benchmarks. PHP7 has some very significant improvements.

Newer and more shiny seems to be the biggest reason which is not much of a reason at all. At least for server stuff.

Anyone running 14.04 still has plenty of time for LTS and can skip this release completely, but for 12.04 users it's time to upgrade. No one is going to keep maintaining some of the very old and overly patched packages which 12.04 has.

You can always use Debian if Ubuntu is too "new and shiny" to you (like I do).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Andreix said: Also, can you please name the backdoor ? As I honestly think that you simply said that based on a hunch.

A pregenned SSH key is a backdoor.

• emgemg Veteran

Andreix asked: Also, can you please name the backdoor ? As I honestly think that you simply said that based on a hunch.

@raindog308 replied:
    A pregenned SSH key is a backdoor.

In other words, each installation from that template has the keys to every other installation.

• teamaccteamacc Member

Not if it only has the public key added to authorized_keys file. Private keys are most likely not included (havent checked)

edited May 2016

@raindog308 As I told you already, the template was updated and SSH keys removed. So, that is not qualified as a backdoor.

"the author has declined to fix this" - with all the respect, this is bullshit made up by you sir. Have you (or any other member) contacted me regarding this and I said "No" ?
    The only PM I got was from @Francisco and then I realized that I left some public keys there and updated it.

So, I would suggest you, as a moderator, not to come with made up reasons.

Have a wonderful day!