Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, 4x1TB in Hw RAID10, 20TB, /26 at DataShack for $218 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, 4x1TB in Hw RAID10, 20TB, /26 at DataShack for $218

Comments

• @earl said: Anyone with WII? sales seem to be ignoring their mail..put in a ticket sunday, on Monday they said they were too busy to respond and that they will answer today but no update??

I'm thinking Datashack sales is better?

I bought a L5420 the other day, was setup in one day.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: I bought a L5420 the other day, was setup in one day

Yeah mine was too but I never really spoke to sales when I ordered..

The odd thing is, it probably would have been just as easy for her to just reply to my email right away then to tell me she would have to get back to me on it tomorrow.. all I asked was if I prepay could I get a refund on the unused term.. she replied no!! but the day after??

• @earl

I got a message after the order about not been able to reply till tomorrow as well, even though i had not asked anything. Im wondering if a ticket is opened with custom setup instructions that you enter etc. God knows.

But i put a ticket in yesterday for IPv6, rDNS and SWIP and it was answered/completed within like 10 hours.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Im wondering if a ticket is opened with custom setup instructions that you enter etc. God knows.

It's possible they're using an auto responder..

Maybe I'm being impatient cause I was spoiled with PerfectIP, on weekdays they generally answer in like less than 5 min!!

@GetKVM_Ash said: But i put a ticket in yesterday for IPv6, rDNS and SWIP and it was answered/completed within like 10 hours.

That's pretty good!

• I use my primary email, but the system says

The email address you entered has already been used in the system. This may because you have already have a Wholesale Internet user account, or because your email has been registered with another member in our shared support environment. Please verify that you have not already signed up with Wholesale Internet, and if not, please use another email account for support ticket control.
    I tride to retrive the usename, I found a DataShack Login Reminder, and tried to use DataShack account to login, it says invalaid login.

Why and how?
    Thanks.

source

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

Haven't received a price quote that I e-mailed to sales@ yet, perhaps the budget was not worth the time for them? :S (this was sent 2 days ago)

• @Mon5t3r said: Why and how?

Thanks.

If you have an account with Datashack already then you need to use a new email to sign up with WII.. you can't use your Datashack account to sign in to wholesaleinternet.

• @BronzeByte said: Haven't received a price quote that I e-mailed to sales@ yet, perhaps the budget was not worth the time for them? :S (this was sent 2 days ago)

Sales pretty much will not reply unless you are or have been a customer.. not sure why

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited February 2013

@earl said: If you have an account with Datashack already then you need to use a new email to sign up with WII.. you can't use your Datashack account to sign in to wholesaleinternet.

that's not me :D i just quoting the entire message from source.

• @Mon5t3r said: that's not me :D i just quoting the entire message from source.

Ah.. I actually missed seeing the "source" part!

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@Oliver said: It says there's remote reboot access but doesn't specify if there's IPMI so I just emailed them to ask about this. 3:30AM in Dallas now so let's see how long it takes to get a response. I emailed their sales@ address...

I just got a reply (11:50AM in Dallas). These are available with IPMI! Good news. Very tempting... :-)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Oliver
    I was afraid that "remote reboot access" == mail and a tech will push the button for you.

I can understand that concern.

Someone give me a reason to sign up... :-P

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@Oliver you want an awesome dedicated server. :)
    And then you want ti transfer it to my account for free. Lol :P

edited February 2013

Signed up with the /26 and 2x 2TB in RAID1.

Let's see how this goes... I asked for the IPMI to be enabled from the start as well. FWIW I am an existing customer of theres (though less than a month old).

Nice :) even though you should have gone for 4x1TB in RAID10. Same price, same amount of storage, double the performance.

• Here's the ticket stream from when they gave away our IPs then told us to fuck off, basically:

• Wow... $4.80 for that mess :/

@Damian

Damn, that's not cool. I hope I don't run into dramas like that...

@shovenose said: Nice :) even though you should have gone for 4x1TB in RAID10. Same price, same amount of storage, double the performance.

And half as much room to upgrade when you need more space. :-)

I'll be inclined to add another 2x 2TB within 6 months so this is the best option for me at the moment.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Yikes, them tickets... kinda put me off.

They sent me the IP justification document. I filled it in, sent it back and 10 minutes later I got the email stating that my application and payment (made by PayPal) have been accepted so the server is now in their build queue.

The last one I had deployed took about a day and a half (maximum 2 days stated). Let's see how long this one takes. :-)

If anyone wants any tests done while I have a clean install let me know.

• Great deal for great adventurers :)

• $4.80

Classic.

@Oliver would love to see a ServerBear. :)

It will be done.

• $4.80? i was putting $3 to my client's credit balance yesterday, since i gave him a bad IP. for VPS < $6 :|

• @damian that is one big disaster ticket

• @damian wow, that is outrageous. datashack is definitely on the permanent "never effing buy or recommend for any reason" list.

What else could have gone wrong? Total incompetence, didn't care, didn't offer timely responses, and in the end failed to compensate or even offer anything but a token apology.

That's what happens when business is flowing in and they don't have to care about you. Anyone ordering from them should be wary.

• @Damian have a party with that $4.80

Thought I'd update this for those interested... I haven't had the best run since I signed up.

Feb 27th they receive my IP Justification document and advise they'll start preparing the order.
    Mar 5th I haven't heard anything so I follow it up.
    Half an hour later they reply with root login details so I login and check everything - it's all up and running but they haven't provided IPMI details. I ask why since I specifically queried this in an email before purchasing. They tell me they can provide temporary KVM and temporary IPMI access but won't leave either connected. I am a bit annoyed because this means I now have to ask them again to reinstall the entire OS so I get the partitioning scheme I want.

So I tell them the partition layout I want and they go and re-install the OS. I get the new root login details and see they've now set it up with mdadm even though there's a hardware RAID controller in there.

I ask them to reinstall the OS again and use the hardware RAID controller this time...

Hopefully once they've done this final reinstall everything will function properly.

On the very positive side I did some quick tests and it's obviously connected at 1 gbit and not 100 mbit. :-)