Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very bad performance downloading from Digital Ocean VPS (HTTP) - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very bad performance downloading from Digital Ocean VPS (HTTP)

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2013

Yeah, not sure what the purpose is however you need to submit a ticket to get your account verified and they will unlock the virtio option for you which appears at the very bottom when you create a new droplet.

• n0myn0my Member

Ok, I have submitted a ticket.

• lumaluma Member

Trial and I think unverified accounts are limited to avoid abuse I think. Don't quote me on it but pretty sure.

Open a ticket, get your account verified, switch to Virtio and have at it. Should be much better.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2013

This must be a joke... I have already verified and paid by paypal. Yet still I cant have it?

In order to get access to VirtIO in its beta stage, you must register your account with a valid credit card.

After you have done that, we will enable VirtIO on your account by charging your card $0.25.

Thanks,
    Etel

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2013

@n0my said: This must be a joke... I have already verified and paid by paypal. Yet still I cant have it?

Huh? I paid with PayPal too.
    All I did was submit a ticket for the slow network, they sent me 2 files to wget. I pasted the result, then they verified my account and suggested me to use VirtIO. No credit cards or other charges.

• lumaluma Member

@n0my said: This must be a joke... I have already verified and paid by paypal. Yet still I cant have it?

You need to open a ticket and ask them to verify your account. I am not sure why that is.

Once you do you can create a new droplet and use the virtio driver and get much much better performance (I am getting 4000+ iops and 600+ MB/s on my three droplets (2 in NY and one in NL)

• LeeLee Veteran

He has been told no unless using a credit card if you read all of his post.

• @W1V_Lee said: He has been told no unless using a credit card if you read all of his post.

Hmmm...
    So, then I am thinking on wait to get this applied to all the customers...
    I don't want my card in another place =/

• Just provide them with your name, phone, vps usage and facebook. Same way as I did.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@n0my said: we will enable VirtIO on your account by charging your card $0.25.

Will it be called an "uncripple your VPS" charge?:)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

It seems like VirtIO option with DO varies from phase of the moon or something and there's not clear set of requirements that ought to be met to have VirtIO capable VPS.

I also paid with paypal (which makes my account completely verified I believe) however they didn't enable neither refuse VirtIO option. What they did was enabled VirtIO for specific droplet without giving me option to set it up by myself so as it seems I will need to open support ticket with crossed fingers everytime I create new droplet. How silly...

• lumaluma Member

@zagi perhaps you can clear up this Virtio feature. Some folks are getting it without issues, others being told no. Seems rather weird that a user paying with paypal gets a crippled VPS but one using a credit card can open a ticket and get virtio option when creating a droplet.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@zagi what makes credit card payers more legitimate than people who use paypal as method of payment in DO eyes? It seems like you're OK with taking money through paypal but treat those customers like 2nd class customers.
    Both are legit way of payment but if you have problem with that you should most likely remove for you problematic payment method.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2013

I guess there is some kind of misunderstanding/miscommunication within DO's team.
    It was Ben ( @zagi ) who verified my account and enable me to select VirtIO as I like. I paid with PayPal. Perhaps there's a change of policy which has not been properly distributed from Ben (as CEO) to his team members.

• LeeLee Veteran

It does sound like there is a lack of consistency over there.

• n0myn0my Member

I have got it after a reply to them.

Enabled VirtIO option and did the bench:

root@server:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 502 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 2 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 51.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 3.86MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 17.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.29MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 16.4MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 59.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 10.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 14.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 14.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 23.3MB/s
    I/O speed : 349 MB/s

a bit better...

• @Spirit said: what makes credit card payers more legitimate than people who use paypal

I don't think it has anything to do with payment method. I paid with AMEX, and I do not see any VirtIO option.

• nfnnfn Veteran

I'm on DO trial with Credit Card and don't have Virtio anywhere when I try to create a droplet.

• You have to get verified. Paying with creditcard or send a ticket and give them a few details. Like name phone usage facebook.

• lumaluma Member

@nfn said: I'm on DO trial with Credit Card and don't have Virtio anywhere when I try to create a droplet.

When you are on the trial using a credit card you are still not verified. You need to open a ticket and just mention you would like to use Virtio.

• nfnnfn Veteran

Just opened a ticket an they activate virtio for me.
    They charged me $0,25 to verify my account/cc and then refund it as a credit.

• @zagi Etel has not helped me much except showing her teeth and sending me copy pasted answers.

• zagizagi Member

@ftpit: if she requests additional verification information, please do answer her. I don't have your ticket # so that we can review your inquiry further.

@nfn: VirtIO becomes an option after your account has been verified, and appears on the Droplet create screen towards the bottom after SSH keys if your account is successfully verified.

Credit cards are preferred payment method for verification since Paypal provides so little information it's harder to verify a Paypal user.

The reason for stricter treatment of Paypal user's is the IPN information provided by Paypal is minimal. With a credit card transaction we have full name, address & verification, security code, phone number. With Paypal all that we have is successful or failed transaction so a lot less information with which to verify a user's identity.

As of this point we've had some great success with VirtIO droplets and we're working on a way to make this our default network driver. There are a lot of considerations we must take into account before setting this permanently but we're making progress everyday.

As it stands now, if you are unsatisfied with your current network performance, please request account verification. Diligently answer the questions and your account will be unlocked giving you the ability to spin up new Droplets with VirtIO during the create process.

• krypskryps Member

@zagi What I don't understand is this: Why can only verified users enable VirtIO for their droplets? Does enabling VirtIO functionality for unverified/trial/paypal-only users incur any risks for DO? If so, how?

Disclaimer: I am genuinely puzzled by this question. I am not affected as I am a verified user of DO.

-- kryps

• @taronyu said: facebook

what? no!

• @Bogdacutuu said: what? no!

She didn't added me as friend yet :(

• i comeback my words back to myself:

today, amsterdam, 41MB/s, but have another problem - VERY BIG PING!

--2013-03-05 20:30:11-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test.5'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 37.7M/s in 2.6s

2013-03-05 20:30:14 (37.7 MB/s) - `100mb.test.5' saved [104857600/104857600]

• n0myn0my Member

I get about 48ms ping from UK to DO Amsterdam.

• LeeLee Veteran

I get 27-30ms, not the fastest considering I can do it in 12ms from other providers.

• zagizagi Member

@n0my @W1V_Lee could you guys provide a traceroute for review. And perhaps an optimal traceroute from the other providers to see if we can determine a faster way to get between the networks.

Thanks.