Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your text editor of choice and why? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your text editor of choice and why?

13»

Comments

• I use Atom.

• For Web Dev work, I love to use Brackets - Might have a look at Atom though.

• meatonmeaton Member

When I was a teenager my fellow sysadmin peers would always give me a hard time about using pico telling me REAL sysadmins use vi or vim. Peer pressure be damned because I use nano to this day on linux. I use Notepad++ on Windows. I really only use Notepad++ to read text files and for some light web development (my custom whmcs theme, html/css/js/php).

shovenose said: Notepad++ is too ugly

The Obsidian style with Notepad++ is sexy.

• nepsneps Member

Notepad++ always.

Even if I only have to change about a dozen lines, I'll SFTP in so I can use notepad++.

• Notepad++

Nano

• andreblueandreblue Member
    edited May 2016

I use Atom on windows for things that i do that are git based or ftp based. Notepad++ for everything else.
    Atom is quite nice if its a lot of writing you are doing, while notepad++ is just great all around
    Nano on linux, never got the hang of vi.

• emdademdad Member

Text editor or code, I use Sublime

• ricardoricardo Member

vim and how to quit it

I'd bet most people have the same issue, I know I did. I learnt about 1,$d not too long ago... pico always seemed easier to 'just use'.

Day to day I use gedit.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jcaleb said: For development? Always go for products by JetBrains. So I think that would be PyCharm for you

That's an odd comment - what if I'm not writing Python?

JetBrains products are nice but I classify them as IDEs, not text editors. No one whips out IntelliJ to write an essay.

Ole_Juul said: I guess. I thought it was Wordstar bindings, but looking it up now it seems the first emacs release actually predated Wordstar by 2 years.

Ah, Wordstar! you're right, maybe that is WS. I was never a WS guy but those bindings have had a powerful influence...it's quite possible that MS Word still has an option to switch to WS bindings. If not, then it was removed relatively recently because you could in the 2003 version I believe.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bitsback said: Sublime for coding and notepad++ for everything else.

++ is fast, simple and free.

If you have Sublime, and you use it, why would you switch back and forth? Notepad++ is fine, no argument there, but I would think you'd use one or the other for everything.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...just curious.

• In Linux, I prefer "vim" because it is colorful and easy to identify the variables used.

• sandrosandro Member

Really enjoying sublime!

• On Linux I like Gedit. I'm not fan of the more recent GUI changes, but the features are all still there. I usually set it to display line numbers, wrap lines, break words across lines, highlight current line, and use the kate layout so I can easily distinguish the line numbers from numbers in the lines. On Windows I just use Notepad.

• VitaVita Member

I use Sublime 3, it's quite good, and it's available for all platforms which is a very big plus. Depending on your programming language you can set it up, so it can perform almost like an IDE. I use it mainly for any work involving PHP, HTML, CSS, JS. Themes make it look cool, it has a lot of features. I recommend you to try it and if you like it support the developer by buying the full version.

Best regards!

Thanked by 1sandro