Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your text editor of choice and why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your text editor of choice and why?

Comments

• Daily driver: nano

Forever mastering : vim

Sexy desktop mistress : Sublime text 3

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Sublime Text. I was using TextMate previously and is good, but Sublime is faster.

nano for ocasional edits.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

For development? Always go for products by JetBrains. So I think that would be PyCharm for you

Thanked by 2SolusVM NeoXiD
  • Windoze: Notepad++
    Linux: Nano

• vim with youcompleteme.

• seikanseikan Member

Been using Edit Plus since 10 years ago.

On the same time, I tried other editors as well (NotePad++, Atom, etc...) but eventually still go with Edit Plus.

• jbarrjbarr Member

UltraEdit for Windows. It's costly, but has all the features I need to manage EDI processing, HTML editing, and pretty much anything else.

On Linux, it's VI all the way.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Vim & Nano on Linux. Sublime Text on Windows.

• Macvim or Sublime text 2-3 or vim on Linux

• dailydaily Member

Love Sublime Text, great $70. Nano whenever I'm doing something via terminal, and pluma whenever I just need to jot something down.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

TextEdit

• Via the terminal I use nano. I use Sublime Text 3 for most tasks. I did try to switch to Atom but it does not do a good job with very large files. I tried to open up a very large SQL file to do a search and replace and Atom was very slugish and jerky while Sublime handled the task without any issues. I do keep Atom on hand to do certain tasks.

• Sublime for coding and notepad++ for everything else.

++ is fast, simple and free.

Tried atom before but it starts up too slow on my old laptop.

• kaflokaflo Member

SublimeText 3 because of the different packages (plugins)

• jaejae Member

notepad++

• raindog308 said: So...emacs bindings.

There's a huge galaxy of Emacs derivatives. The idea "let's take emacs, strip out the lispy stuff, remove all the packages, and make a svelter editor while retaining all the keyboard macros people know" has been had by about fifty people.

nano and pico are arguably emacs derivatives since they use emacs bindings.

I guess. I thought it was Wordstar bindings, but looking it up now it seems the first emacs release actually predated Wordstar by 2 years. In any case, I would think that any DOS, and hence Windows user, would find those key bindings to feel natural. I know them from early DOS editors which mostly used those.

• Brackets Although it's more aimed at web development. If you only want to edit be sure to take the "Without extract" version.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2016

Sublimetext :) So many features, so convenient and plainly awesome :)

• wwabbitwwabbit Member

I use kate on kde

• nano on linux and notepad++ on windows

• emgemg Veteran

I have used so many text editors in the past, it is hard to remember them all. Does a punchcard machine count as a text editor? :-)

On Unix and Linux computers I used emacs for years. These days I am more likely to bring up vi or nano for a quick edit. On Windows I used SlickEdit, but that was a long time ago. After that, I used whatever editor came with the development environment. In production workplaces, tight integration with the change tracking, code management, build, and test is an important aspect of tool selection for developers.

Most often I use the editor that is built into the development environment. I was particularly fond of the editor that was integrated into JetBrains' IntelliJ environment.

These days, for general purpose work, note taking, coding, and more, I use BBEdit on the Mac. It has been my go to text editor for two decades. I miss the days where development environments made it easy to integrate BBEdit into the coding and debugging process, but no more. It is not practical to use BBEdit with Xcode, for example.

After seeing all the posts here, I will have a look at Sublimetext.

• JamesKJamesK Member

I am using Notepad++ text editor because it is very use friendly.

• sinsin Member

Nano on linux (embarrassing that I've been using linux since the Slackware days in the 90's and I never played around with vim much but I usually only need to make quick config edits) and I use Notepad++ on Windows.

• I have tried many text editors and finally settled with Sublime Text. It's very powerful and lightweight (looking at you atom).

On linux variants, I mainly use Nano for smaller edits and vim for other stuff. Atom is a really good and godly powered editor yet it fails to amuse me.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • emg said: Does a punchcard machine count as a text editor? :-)

Obviously yes, since so many machines still can't do backspace and delete properly.

Thanked by 1emg
  • Once I learned how to quit it, vim became my editor of choice!

Jokes asides, I like being able to do some work with regexes once in a while, plus it's available virtually anywhere, *nix-wise.

It's also nice to code in:

• SublimeText

• Notepad++ is the best for my needs. I've been using Sublime in the past but there are some limitations for me.

I use some plugins that only work on Notepad++. Very satisfied with it!

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited May 2016

Nano, Geany, Notepad++, Sublime Text

• namhuynamhuy Member

on windows, notepad for quick n dirty, notepad ++ for serious job.

on linux, nano or vi/vim