Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which LE providers would you recommend for production? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which LE providers would you recommend for production?

13»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hxxx for now maybe but our KVM refresh is a pretty big price change :)

I'm pretty excited.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Tom vimalware Hxxx
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Francisco said: I'm pretty excited.

Do we need to have someone clean up after?

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • There are several providers that frequent here, us included, that are not in the LE space 'as such' but do pop in from time to time with specials and capacity clear outs :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@dediserve said:
    There are several providers that frequent here, us included, that are not in the LE space 'as such' but do pop in from time to time with specials and capacity clear outs :)

I used to love you guys, but well, didn't have a good experience. Would still recommend, though

• @SysAdmin said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@badpatrick said:
    Companies here are terrible and customers who buy them are worse as they are only good for abuse and needy handholding

No? I'm not sure why you said this, but many hosts here aren't ColoCrossing.

Can't we all just get along? Your hurting my feelers.

I do know that you're hard on making upgrades to your network, and the speeds seem really impressive, but until the IP ranges (a /15?) gets cleaned up from SBL I wouldn't use it. Looks good though.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: Can't tell if trolling for amusement (well played) or being serious. If the latter over the former is true then just log out and never come back.

I can see the argument, though. For example, BuyVM is a fine provider, but they only guarantee a 24-hour ticket response. Usually they're MUCH faster, but if you are promising your customers something and then BuyVM gets held up...

And BuyVM did have a serious power-related outage a few years ago. It was resolved very professionally and for $7/mo or whatever I definitely have no complaints, but it's not quite the same as you'd find if you ran in, say, the Amazon cloud or at a premium provider.

Same for all the quality LEB providers. Most of the time, they provide excellent service. But if you must rely on them for your three or five nines service you're promising...

Thanked by 1Lee
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member

Eh, depends.

I'd never consider a LEB for anything super critical, let's say anything that my job/career depended on it being running 24/7, but that's only due to minimal support, service level agreements and whatnot.
    If I was running something that important, I'd want to know that their techs were onto the issue before I had the chance to notice it, log a ticket and wait for a response.

That said, I wouldn't expect a low-end provider to do that. So it depends on how you define 'production'.

If you're comfortable with the reality that most providers here, at best, colo their servers and depend on their agreements with their datacentres to sort things out somewhat promptly, then that's great!

Back to reality, there are a number of providers that are consistently reliable that I would host most of my 'important' stuff with - Personal/friends websites, a community radio stream, etc.
    The only thing I'd never (personally) host with a low-end provider is email purely due to my dependency on it, Prometeus and RamNode are my current go-to hosts.

tl;dr: Prometeus and Ramnode, but manage your expectations for when shit hits the fan.

• lbftlbft Member

raindog308 said: the Amazon cloud

I don't know that I'd go that far, with some of the issues EC2/EBS has had over the years. Amazon doesn't offer amazing individual instance reliability, they offer redundancy and an integrated suite of tools to help you not care if an instance goes down.

• imortimort Member

@sandro said:
    I see here that Ramnode seems to be the most recommended.
    Apart from the providers in the quarterly pool are there any others you would feel secure using for your business? Also those selected in the pool doesn't mean are sure enough for production.

I can't recommend any of they but try to deploy a redundant setup with at least two of them.
    You have an opportunity to have that experience for the future use and will get better uptime anyway.

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: I can see the argument

Indeed and that is why it's all about mitigating the risk, what can you handle in terms of support response, time to resolve hardware issues and so on.

If you are looking for a provider and your expectation is 3+ nines then quite frankly the real reason you are here is because you can't really afford it and should limit that expectation.

I have some very premium services and have called on SLA credits a number of times. Some LET services and never had a single issue. Luck or choosing the right service?

Thanked by 1sandro
  • kazilakazila Member
    edited May 2016

@DH22 said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

DH22 said: Beyond those virtually no hosts active on LET I would consider for production

Just curious, how many have you tried?

I would guess at least 20. I have not used any of the newer hosts here since I would not trust any LET host that has been around less than two years for production. Most tend to not last very long, so I won't bother unless they have proven themselves. Even when the host is good, there is a decent chance they will close or get sold to a company I do not care to have services with (or in one case completely stop responding to tickets lol, still no clue what happened to Kazila even if they are still posting offers on WHT). I have found it much less stressful and often cheaper overall to pay more to those providers who have been around for years and are known to provide reliable services.

I currently use or trust DO, Tagadab, Steadfast, OVH (only for non critical production if budget is low), AWS, Google, SoftLayer, Corgitech, Castlegem, and Jump Networks. Probably a few more I am forgetting that could be added. I primarily use North East USA and UK, so have less experience with providers that do not have services in these locations.

Kazila.com here - we've been in business since 2008 and are still operating today. Although our business has slipped under the radar, our services have been operating smoothly since 2008. Not many providers can say that.

In regards to your requests that went unanswered, generally all support requests are handled if they are made through the proper channels. For the most part our services are considered unmanaged however we're certainly still around - make no mistake.

In regards to this thread, LET and LEB obviously isn't what it used to be however there are still a few reputable providers out there that you can trust for production purposes. A few reputable providers that come to mind that I have used are BuyVM and Ramnode. There are a few others that I hear offer great, reliable service and they're certainly still out there.

Price certainly isn't the number one deciding factor when you're searching for a host and it shouldn't be. Transparency and communication is certainly important, especially when servers are down. A few other things to consider:

It's important to understand that if you're operating a business, it would never be smart to put your trust in just one company. It's also important to understand the concept of you get what you pay for.

The best way to clean things up in the community, in my opinion, is if you as consumers cease from giving your money to these shady hosting providers. You'll be doing the community a huge favor by making it tougher for scammers and fly by night hosts to stay in business. This would likely discourage these types of providers from spawning in the first place. Obviously this isn't the ultimate solution and it wouldn't eliminate the swarm of providers completely but it would help out the community immensely. This community could also clean up it's act and be a little bit more professional across the board. A lot of great members and providers have ditched this place and for good reason.

• DH22DH22 Member

@kazila said:
    In regards to your requests that went unanswered, generally all support requests are handled if they are made through the proper channels. For the most part our services are considered unmanaged however we're certainly still around - make no mistake.

@kazila I used the proper channels several times and eventually other channels I wouldn't normally resort to (PM on WHT). By proper I mean I used your ticket system and after a long time of no response I tried via e-mail I believe just creates a new ticket anyway. Online chat was never available and there was no answer when calling.

I was asking a very simple sales question via sales ticket. Weeks later I made one support ticket notifying that I could get no response to sales tickets. Never heard anything at all.

I went to great lengths to contact because kazila is the only VPS provider offering services out of Steadfast in Edison, NJ that I am aware of (network best I have ever used in north east US). I also used kazila previously and was very happy with the services.

• rokokrokok Member

Apart from top provider poll, my 3 production >1year site on these 3: ITLDC, dediserve, leaseweb

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • RamiRami Member
    edited May 2016
    Securedragon
    Crowncloud
    RamNode

Thanked by 2Droid SpeedBus
  • Prometeus/iwstack

• emre22emre22 Member
    edited May 2016

I am pretty happy with vultr for now, after some disasters with for ex. dediserve,..

• Google is not your friend? Use search box of LET forum.

• dailydaily Member

@NancyVPS said:
    Google is not your friend? Use search box of LET forum.

Stop spamming. You're the one who can't search up on how to do a simple HTTP proxy.

• @dailymc said:

@NancyVPS said:
    Google is not your friend? Use search box of LET forum.

Stop spamming. You're the one who can't search up on how to do a simple HTTP proxy.

I follow tutorials but FAILED!. Proxy not work. Mah provider close ticket without reply.