Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which LE providers would you recommend for production? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which LE providers would you recommend for production?

Comments

• sandrosandro Member
    edited May 2016

@Junkless said:

@sandro said:

Isn't dediserve expensive?

Compared to what ? 5.5$ for a dedicated core HA cloud VM with 1 GB Memory and 30 GB Disk might not be expensive for some depending on the usage scenario.

I'm seeing these plans https://manage.dediserve.com/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=332
    I bet you're referring to LET plans (I wasn't aware of)...is it really a dedicated core?

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited May 2016

I tried dediserve twice and the performance and support was poor. Definitely not a good choice for production.

To clarify my previous comment about me not using any hosts that advertise here for production.. Ramnode is fine for production. Another host I likely would trust for production is Inception Hosting. However, I personally find DO to offer better performance & features for similar pricing.

I have to imagine Prometeus is great too given the praise they get here. However, they do not have the locations I need so I have not used their services yet.

Beyond those virtually no hosts active on LET I would consider for production.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

DH22 said: Beyond those virtually no hosts active on LET I would consider for production

Just curious, how many have you tried?

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited May 2016

@Awmusic12635 said:

DH22 said: Beyond those virtually no hosts active on LET I would consider for production

Just curious, how many have you tried?

I would guess at least 20. I have not used any of the newer hosts here since I would not trust any LET host that has been around less than two years for production. Most tend to not last very long, so I won't bother unless they have proven themselves. Even when the host is good, there is a decent chance they will close or get sold to a company I do not care to have services with (or in one case completely stop responding to tickets lol, still no clue what happened to Kazila even if they are still posting offers on WHT). I have found it much less stressful and often cheaper overall to pay more to those providers who have been around for years and are known to provide reliable services.

I currently use or trust DO, Tagadab, Steadfast, OVH (only for non critical production if budget is low), AWS, Google, SoftLayer, Corgitech, Castlegem, and Jump Networks. Probably a few more I am forgetting that could be added. I primarily use North East USA and UK, so have less experience with providers that do not have services in these locations.

• @sandro said:

I'm seeing these plans https://manage.dediserve.com/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=332
    I bet you're referring to LET plans (I wasn't aware of)...is it really a dedicated core?

Yes, as far as I know.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@tr1cky said:
    For me production ready means to be transparent to the clients and to be fast when shit happens.

Neither of which hostus is. I can't understand the several recommendations for hostus in here.

Hi Tr1cky from all your recent posts I get the impression someone went wrong with a service you had with us? Do you have anything I can check for you? We have had a few issues that all providers face but i would certainly use HostUS for full production usage.

Alexander

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So what is "production" here?

If I'm selling a service to paying customers...sorry, no LEB provider.

Production in the sense of a game server (risk: my friends are sad), backup server (risk: my latest backup is 48 hours instead of 24 hours), mail server (it'll just retry), VPN server (I get raped in the Leavenworth shower by NSA thugs), etc. then sure, LEB providers are fine...well, maybe not for VPN...

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

jae said: no one recomending leaseweb? i really want to use their smallest plan...

I would certainly recommend them, I have quite a few Leaseweb VPSes and they have been very reliable for me (in their VA and NL locations). I've been using them for about 2 years? now and they've been excellent.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

AlexanderM said: Hi Tr1cky from all your recent posts I get the impression someone went wrong with a service you had with us? Do you have anything I can check for you? We have had a few issues that all providers face but i would certainly use HostUS for full production usage.

Alexander

• You advertise "shared" DDoS-protection, that's basically not more than marketing buzz. In the case of a DDoS that gets noticed by the node itself, you auto-suspend the VPS and you don't send any notification to the user. You do not automatically unsuspend the VPS after some time, you just let the user find out by himself that the VPS is down.

• You do not admit to problems, you have no interest into looking into problems on your side. It also seems like you do not monitor your own services. If I asked you in a ticket if there was an outage this day, you guys told me that there probably was a ddos on the node.

• Some of your employees either think the clients are all dumb or they are dumb themself. Guess what, some employees do not cosider a service down when uptimerobot reported it as down, ping.pe from all their locations reports it as down and the client can't access the service aswell.

Then stuff like this happens:

and later in the ticket:

• LeeLee Veteran

Dediserve, BuyVM, Prometeus.

If one of those are not acceptable you're doomed.

• No providers on LET/LEB are production capable. Testing purposes might be pushing it. Administration should disable all requests/offers. Companies here are terrible and customers who buy them are worse as they are only good for abuse and needy handholding

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @badpatrick said:
    Companies here are terrible and customers who buy them are worse as they are only good for abuse and needy handholding

No? I'm not sure why you said this, but many hosts here aren't ColoCrossing.

• @theroyalstudent said:

ColoCrossing or not, if they post offers here, I'd stay away.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I'd say the effort @Clouvider puts into their infrastructure is way more than most LET providers. And when you can get some discounted LET specials, their pricing is still within upper LE range. I would trust them for productive services.

On the other hand I am quite happy for some years in using a cluster of multiple (currently six) LET/LEB VPS. The machines are monitoring each other (Icinga) and if one fails it is automatically removed from DNS via an Icinga eventhandler executing a dnsupdate script. It all just depends on what you would call "production" and "LE". ;)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • sandrosandro Member

@badpatrick said:
    No providers on LET/LEB are production capable. Testing purposes might be pushing it. Administration should disable all requests/offers. Companies here are terrible and customers who buy them are worse as they are only good for abuse and needy handholdin

ALL of them? :/

• If production use can be served by the level of resources offered, then certainly there are LE providers which are suitable. I spend most of my day on the internet with my traffic going through a VPN that I have on a Ramnode VPS. In the many months I've used this setup I've yet to see any downtime, which would be extremely noticeable when browsing. Based on that personal history (and documented reputation) I'd trust them for commercial use.

• LeeLee Veteran

badpatrick said: No providers on LET/LEB are production capable

Can't tell if trolling for amusement (well played) or being serious. If the latter over the former is true then just log out and never come back.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

seflow & worldstream gets my vote, very reliable and high performance. support is alright too.

Thanked by 2matteob desperand
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the kind words @dfroe!

• @Lee said:

Can't tell if trolling for amusement (well played) or being serious. If the latter over the former is true then just log out and never come back.

Then you'll only have 24 LET posters

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

badpatrick said: Then you'll only have 24 LET posters

So you left?

Thanked by 1sandro
  • I lean to the right on most issues

• I didn't mean to offend anyone. I've seen other members, providers and admins post that LET is full of abusers and cry babies who aren't worth pursuing as customers which is okay because apparently companies here aren't worth a damn. I'm a hipster and bandwagon fan, I just thought I was doing the trendy thing, sorry.

• sandrosandro Member
    edited May 2016

So suggest which non LE providers you use.

• LeeLee Veteran

@badpatrick said:

@Lee said:

Then you'll only have 24 LET posters

Ok I get it, you're a cunt. Fair enough,

• HxxxHxxx Member

Well for the record, BuyVM and RamNode are not considered LET. These two might throw some offers from time to time but they do provide a higher quality range of services. BuyVM standard range of VPS cost per GB RAM is higher in comparison to DO and Linode. Same goes with RamNode (Premium KVM). Also securedragon. Do and Linode are also not LET.

IMHO no let provider is suitable for production. Most LET deadpool soon enough or are run by kids. All it takes is a look at LEB offer page, all those random providers, to be fair the industry prices have gone cheaper, more affordable, there is no longer a LET need or LET spirit , whatever you want to call it. If you can't afford a 10 dollars VPS which is the industry standard for 1GB KVM instances, you shouldn't have a VPS.

Almost all the legit good providers, with the exception of some, have abandoned this LET community. Some appear from time to time to say "Hey thanks" but that's all. No one can blame them, this community for the most part are just trolls or popcorn drama addicts. Higher trolling content, low useful data. Jarland have done an excellent job cutting some, hopefully the community will mature over time.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • @theroyalstudent said:

@badpatrick said:
    Companies here are terrible and customers who buy them are worse as they are only good for abuse and needy handholding

Can't we all just get along? Your hurting my feelers.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Clouvider is @ production level if you're thinking about UK. BuyVM is also very good (Haven't had the pleasure testing their infrastructure out since Al' hates LKA)

• LeeLee Veteran

Hxxx said: Well for the record, BuyVM and RamNode are not considered LET

Maybe not today price wise, but they are firmly embedded in LET and I think you will find many customers are still running off the previous deal prices of the past than the prices today. The quality for both was the same 2 years ago as it is today though. The only difference is that they have had the sense to evolve out of LET which is what 95% of providers with a future fail to do.

Hxxx said: IMHO no let provider is suitable for production

In that sense nobody is then, at the end of the day it's about risk mitigation, any provider can have a hardware failure or a bad day on support just when you need the service most. The question is more about what you did to prepare for that day instead of whining about it on forums when it happens.

The LET market is no different from any other, make a bad choice, ignore the warnings of others, expect enterprise services for $1 and live to regret it.

Whatever you think of it LET remains the launch platform that has allowed many to become successful in the industry, some in a small way and for others it's been the only way they would have succeeded.

Full of wankers? Absolutely. Good with the bad.

Thanked by 1sin
  • noamannoaman Member

Even the best of best host will go down...ramnode had a slight hiccup and everyone went crazy...because there is no such thing as 100% uptime...

If you opened this thread just so you don't have any downtime then I would suggest a clustered server setup behind varnish.... That's the only way to go...