Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is the internet broken today?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it just me or is the internet broken today?

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited August 2011 in General

Every website I've visited today doesn't load, doesn't work correctly (i.e. Twitter is not showing any tweets), or is just insanely slow. Even when I tested my internet connection on testmy.net I'm only seeing 86.7Mbps. I'm tempted to try my other internet connection or use a VPN to see if that improves any. This is going to be a long night. :(

Comments

• KuJoe said: Even when I tested my internet connection on testmy.net I'm only seeing 86.7Mbps.

Your own residential Internet connection? Showing off :)

Internet certainly works fine from where I am. If pages don't load properly, it could be some glitches between you and some servers hosting common Javascripts (AdSense, Analytics, etc)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

No no, my home internet is only 10Mbps, I'm at work right now and bored out of my mind. :(

Hmmm, I think it is out internet because Speedtest.net is showing our IP in a different state and the max speed I can get there is 50Mbps. That doesn't explain why I keep getting errors on my usual sites though (except this one for some reason).

• You broke it you bought it. :)

Oh man, I can't afford the internets. :(

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited August 2011

only 86.7? i have 384.. kbps :P

but yeah, i've got some random downtime for a couple days ago.

twitter -> showing a blank page

yahoo mail -> searching not work (javascript probably)

LEB/LET -> loading more longer than usual.

Heh, maybe I should clarify: I said "only 86.7Mbps" not meaning it's slow but that it's slower than it's supposed to be. It's been a long weekend so I'm a bit more tired than normal at this time of night.

• It's just you :)

Some of the sites are working again, Twitter is not still but I'll live. :)

• I think its just you ;P

• Facebook was loading pretty terribly and most images were broken on there. Fixed now, though.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

For me things were messed up too, facebook was fine. Twitter was messed up, I couldnt access any websites in the Herzner DC for some reason, It must be my crappy ISP (Virgin Media).

Offtopic (kinda): How much does your company pay for that 100Mbit connection? I have a residential 50Mbit connection for £25 PM which is 40.7925 U.S. dollars. And when I get the 100Mbit in my area then it will be £35 PM which is 40.7925 U.S. dollars.

The company I work for doesn't have a 100Mbit connection, it's much, much larger. I don't know how much I can actually discuss though (let's just say we have 600Mbps dedicated to just data replication with dedicated links to multiple countries). ;)

• ztecztec Member

Like 600Mbps is so secretly awesome for a decent company:P
    Pretty normal here, maybe you're not from a first world country but home connections in my country are 100mbps. costs around 20euro a month. Decent companies can go with a 10gbps line.

• Making us jealous :v . Cost per Mbps around here is about $5 ):

• Bah, at this moment I am in a 1mbps connection in Mexico, costs around 30 USD per month (Internet + phone)

• here in Indonesia 384kbps for ~ 25 USD and 1mbps for ~ 70 USD (internet only) :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2011

I think that europeans have some advantage regarding this. Short distances, 100Mbps or higher optical fiber connection to "every home", plenty ISPs to chose, no bandwidth limit, etc...

100Mbps / 100Mbps (symmetric) residental line cost here 49 € and we are not familiar with something as "bandwidth limit" - only known limitation is connection speed.

My 13Mbps / 1,5Mbp cable connection is considered as pretty average (crappy, erm...) here.

• Spirit said: europeans have some advantage

They do, but it is a very unfortunate reason they have this advantage, it's called war, and WWII basically leveled the continent requiring all infrastructure to be rebuilt.

@ztec There is a difference between dedicated and shared though. ;)

• @Mon5t3r twitter -> showing a blank page

That's a common issue. Been seeing that since they started their new interface.

• @drmike, true. If not, I can only see the header bar and nothing else. I wonder why.

• gianggiang Veteran

100Mbps fiber line here in Viet Nam is about $75/m but they're running a promotion, join them this August and get $13 off per month for a year :D

For reference, average income in Viet Nam is about $75/m, and this price is pretty expensive for most of us :(

• 100Mbps fiber is $64 here, though it's only for local connections. International connections are only 15Mbps.

• @rgenzon, that's what I see many times. Been like that for months.

• Well lets see we have 4Mbps Max here on Home Use. Cost $100.00
    Business is hell over $250.00

Am better off on RDP to our Server

• drmike said: That's a common issue. Been seeing that since they started their new interface.

hmm yeah, i know that, but this is very different than the usual. maybe twitter had and issue or something..

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2011

@miTgiB: WWII basically leveled the continent requiring all infrastructure to be rebuilt.

Huh? I have no idea what you're talking about. Some references? I am pretty sure that my country (as MOST others) didn't need "all infrastructure to be rebuilt" as occupation isn't same as total annihilation. 27 EU states or even continent as example is not same as.. some ruined cities. Beside that internet infrastructure isn't built in 50es but decades later so I am really not sure where you're coming from.

Anyway, main advantage here are imho short distances --> continent overcrowd with fibre which means really a lot of competition. There are exceptions, like in Turkey (but that's not part of EU yet) where one ISP (turkish telecom) keep monopol over internet while in most others you can chose among plenty competition. In my little country (with few times less population than some NYC) I can chose among 15 ISPs - few of them with completely own infrastructure ("to every home"). I am not sure if that's comfort which as example Australians can afford.
    And don't get me wrong, it's not all that great here, just regarding internet... guess we have a luck.

100 Mbps / 10 Mbps 27 €

100 Mbps symmetric 49 €

1 GBps symmetric 1000 €

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

I know bumping an old thread is a sin :P But it saves me having to open a new 'un.

I'm having that kinda problem today, most of my US servers are 'down' with my internet connection and traceroutes in everything are timing out, anyone in the UK: is this a national Virgin Media issue? This happens far too often on my end.

Even the Gravatar CDN servers are down for me. Even LowEndTalk is really slow but at least reachable, lots of packet loss though.

• +1 on this. Reverse problem for me: I can get to all of my US nodes but having a difficult time with nodes in UK. I was having a hard time determining if it was the internet or my "day" job's connection, which tends to suck too.