Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap e3 1230s? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap e3 1230s?

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@Simple3x

» CPUs: Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.3Ghz 8 cores
    » RAM: 32GB 1600Mhz ECC
    » Hard Drives: 2TB WDC RE4 Raid Edition
    » Premium Bandwidth: 30 TB (30,000 GB)
    » Port Speed: 100mbps
    » IPv4 IP Addresses: /29 (5 usable)
    » IPv6 IP Addresses: /64
    » IPKvm: YES
    » Remote Reboot: YES
    » Location: Los Angeles Only (Test IP: 199.48.68.1)
    » 100% Server Grade Hardware: YES

Where does that mention HW RAID? There's only one drive for a start.

• @MartinD said: Also, not sure why you're quoting me.

I hope you have not taken offense to what I've said, it's not that I'm directly voicing this on you.. just trying to enlighten the subject a bit.. whats the point of a forum if you can't have a debate :)

• @GetKVM_AshGetKVM_Ash

https://secure.perfectip.net/orderOption.php?productId=1068&langId=-1&catId=SPC

If you prepay for 3 months it brings the price down to $49/m + $50 for a HW RAID option so around $100/m not $90 but close!

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash

I never said HWR only.

• @Jack said: Josh says he has a few?

What mail app is that?
    Looks damn sexy.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

o_o

I have an Android phone — it's really incomparable to that.
    Take a look at the screenshots on Apple's app store, and on Google Play

• @earl said: The other issue with with software RAID is that it won't work on Vmware or Proxmox.

Proxmox can be made to run on a linux software raid, have an install running myself like this for some internal servers.

Adapt one of the many guides on this with your configuration.
    http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Squeeze

• Limestone Networks. (not really in LEB range)

• @Jack said: @GIANT_CRAB he said cheap $130 odd isn't "cheap" :p

But its worth the money :P

• @onepound said: Adapt one of the many guides on this with your configuration.

Thanks I will give it a go after I delete Vmware..

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2013

Not LEB pricing at <$39 but this would definately be a server that could be home to many LEB(s). We do things a bit differently and this is NOT cheap desktop hardware, all of our premium supermicro servers include redundant power supplies and A/B power in our facilities. I could do a limited special of 3 servers at the following price

Intel E3-1240v2
    16GB DDR3
    2 x 1TB SAS-7200rpm (Expandable to 4)
    -Adaptec 2405 Hardware RAID-1 by default
    10TB on 100mbps Port
    /29 VLAN (5 Usable IPs, Additional IP(s) $1/mo)

• Redundant A/B Power
    • Dual Power Supplies
    • IPMI, Reboots, B/W Graphs in our client portal
    • Self-service software licensing of CPanel/WHM, Softaculous, Fantastico, Plesk, etc in our client portal

$119/mo
    +$12 for upgrade to 32gb

Oh, and you don't have to register a MAC, you use your own IPs within your vlan how you see fit ;)

• ill take one!

• @RyanD nice offer the fact that the price already includes the hw raid1 i can consider the price as semi-leb for 1230 standards. I'll note this offer. Thanks.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

Meh, IPs are the deal killer. Give me a RTO for that price and then I'll snatch it. :P

• @RyanD where's the location btw? Which DC?

• @Jacob RTO would be significantly higher. Go spec out what the hardware costs for redundant power, all SAS, etc. These aren't cheap servers ;)

• @Simple3x for < 2hr setup they would be in our Atlanta facility.

We sold out in LA and PHX, we'll be sending additional stock out there in the next week.

• @RyanD colocrossing? What's the DC?

• @Simple3x

No, we're COLO@/WireSix these are all in our facilities and on our network.

• @onepound said: Adapt one of the many guides on this with your configuration.

You can also easily convert a non-raid proxmox install to a raid one after installing. Done that always and it always works good. There are guides for that.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
  • @Jack these systems cost $1500+ 24 month contract would lose money. You have to factor in operations costs, support overhead, company overhead, payment processing, etc. Oh, and also somewhere in there add in margin so you actually make sonething :)

• Oh and lets not forget taxes and business property taxes, etc. We have a very specific cost modeled out for all of our services that ensures while we can offer great deals we make money every step of the way. Part of the reason we have been in business for 8 years and profitable and growing every year :)

• @onepound said:

Proxmox can be made to run on a linux software raid, have an install running myself like this for some internal servers.

Adapt one of the many guides on this with your configuration.

@earl: ^^This. Proxmox works just fine on Software RAID. I installed it on top of running Debian 64bit. In this way you can do other funky stuff like encryption etc.

• @geekalot said: like encryption etc.

I've read that you can do it on your storage disks, but I wasn't able to create a Proxmox with encryption for the / partition =/

• Not sure if this would interest people and its definately not on the cheapo/lowend side but here is a E3 config I can offer people based in the Netherlands.

Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.3Ghz / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 2x 500GB SATA / 100Mbps Inbound - 4TBOUT / 79.95 Euros
    Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.3Ghz / 8GB DDR3 RAM / 2x 500GB SATA / 100Mbps Inbound - 4TBOUT / 84.95 Euros
    Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.3Ghz / 16GB DDR3 RAM / 4x 2TB SATA + HW RAID / 100Mbps Inbound - 4TBOUT / 129.95
    Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.3Ghz / 32GB DDR3 RAM / 4x 2TB SATA + HW RAID / 100Mbps Inbound - 4TBOUT / 144.95

I'm probably going to get ripped apart for the pricing, but you get what you pay for and to be honest we're offering HP DL120 G7s at Databarn The Netherlands at a very good price still.
    Amazing network :)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero, you can encrypt the entire filesystem (mind you, you should have good CPU horsepower and fast disks).

Should be completely transparent to Proxmox (when it is installed on top of the OS)

I have old VMware Server (v1) on desktops and laptops running the same way. Remember (for best security), you would have to enter the passphrase in order to boot.

Anyway, not to derail the thread; back on topic.

• I tried but apparently the proxmox kernel doesn't have support for this.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero, PM me; I don't want to derail the OP's thread.

• Can only think of VD.