Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap e3 1230s?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap e3 1230s?

EpidriveEpidrive Member
edited February 2013 in General

You guys have any idea which reputable provider offers the cheapest intel e3 1230's?
On average, i've seen $80-90 offers at wht for v1 1230's

But ive seen an interesting offer with perfectip 1230 v1 for $59, i was already about to bite the hook, but then ive seen the feedbacks for perfectip here. I feel hassled with their process and their addon prices are ridiculous.

Comments

• @Jack sold out.

• @Simple3x said: perfectip 1230 v1

it's actually E3-1230 V2

• @earl ooohhhh so turns out their offer was even better than i expected.
    However the main issue actually is their addon prices, for me a raid hardware is a must, and then they go charge $50 for a raid, come on. Thats just ridiculous.

• Why is that ridiculous?

• They are not a charity, they need to make profit somehow.

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited February 2013

@MartinD I dont know, i find it expensive, or rather overpriced.
    Am i the only one who feels this way?

• @Simple3x said: Am i the only one who feels this way?

Yes

edited February 2013

Well actually, their tos is double ridiculous. The part regarding spam mails -- constitutes that they are charging $200 for ANY unsolicited mails sent from the server.

Now, am i the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

@KernelSanders

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Simple3x said: go charge $50 for a raid, come on. Thats just ridiculous.

Yes their addon is abit crazy but I read on WHT you can speak to sales so maybe it's negotiable?

Also they include IPMI for free so you can reload your own OS the only issue is, you have this powerful machine and they blow it by putting in a WD green Drive! the speed difference is really noticeable compared to my WII server with seagate baracuda 7.2K drives, in winscp opening folders is so much quicker in the WII server on the older drive than it is on the E3 machine..

Oh and one more thing they need to associate the IP to a MAC before your network will work so it's kinda annoying! I'm having a heck of a time trying to get proxmox CT to work! and I feel bad having to put in multiple tickets to support asking them to register my MAC and IP

edited February 2013

@earl Good!!! I love the fact that they do include an impi for free.
    What's with the wd drive though?

• @earl and which wii server model are you talking about, e3 1230 too?

• @Simple3x said: What's with the wd drive though?

they are those energy efficient drive.. use to be they run at 5400rpm to save energy & lower heat dissipation

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Simple3x said: @earl and which wii server model are you talking about, e3 1230 too?

Yup the E3 that's the one I got.. the e5520 deal is luck of the draw for the IPMI so some have it some don't

• Jono20201Jono20201 Member
    edited February 2013

We switched from a VPS to a Limestone Networks server on WD Green's in RAID once - and we regretted making that decision. You live and learn.

• @earl thanks for the input man.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Jono20201 said: We switched from a VPS to a Limestone Networks server on WD Green's in RAID once - and we regretted making that decision. You live and learn.

Tell me about it!! it makes absolutely no sense.. but then again maybe it's a marketing ploy for you to upgrade to SSD? but I agre these WD green is Slow!!

@Simple3x said: @earl thanks for the input man.

Ma pleasure:)

--just to add
    while I think this is an awesome deal!! I see other providers selling these for at least $100-$250, I don't think I will be keeping it.. the whole register the MAC thing is really killing it for me!

• Can't believe people expect an e3 1230 v2 with hw raid, enterprise drives and free ipmi for $59.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@MartinD said: e3 1230 v2 with hw raid, enterprise drives and free ipmi for $59

price seems high, hope it include unlimited bandwidth on a gigabit port :D

• @MartinD said: Can't believe people expect an e3 1230 v2 with hw raid, enterprise drives and free ipmi for $59.

and unmetered dedicated 1Gbps port?

• @prometeus said: hope it include unlimited bandwidth on a gigabit port :D

:O you bet me to it!

• 10gb you mean.

Don't forget the free san that comes with it.

• @MartinD said: Can't believe people expect an e3 1230 v2 with hw raid, enterprise drives and free ipmi for $59.

It's funny how people are a big spenders until the money is coming out of their own pockets!

If you feel the budget server market is beneath you then you are welcome to spend your money at softlayer or wherever you see fit but I don't think it's fair to put people down who look for Value in what they buy rather then just spending foolishly.

• Its not value, its stupidity.

The low-end market is not beneath me at all, we cater to it very well however when you're talking about dedicated servers its somewhat different. Sure, getting the e3 for cheap isn't difficult to find (or provide) but to say charging $50 for hw raid on a $59 server is ridiculous is, in itself, ridiculous. Where do you think the cash comes from to pay for all of this?

Also, not sure why you're quoting me. Quite a few others agree with me here. I haven't put anyone down, I'm pointing out you can't buy a mansion for the cost of a caravan. Value is great, expecting the world for peanuts is ignorance and one step too far.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@earl said: It's funny how people are a big spenders until the money is coming out of their own pockets!

If you feel the budget server market is beneath you then you are welcome to spend your money at softlayer or wherever you see fit but I don't think it's fair to put people down who look for Value in what they buy rather then just spending foolishly.

You must also allow some joking on this. If you buy / assemble a server with decent enterprise / reliable components you will sum up some $$, then add the energy and the space. You know, somewere the profit need to be done so it's normal it must come from addons :-)

edited February 2013

@MartinD

Don't know if you are referring to me, but:
    50 (raid) +59 (server) = $109

As per stated in the OP, $80-$90 is what seems to be the average offer for 1230 in WHT w/ HW/SW Raid included. PerfectIP is not the 'value' thing we're talking about after all if that's the case.. @prometeus

Well.. At least for me.. since Raid is a must for me.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@MartinD said: Its not value, its stupidity.

What is stupid about getting a server that everyone is selling for $100-$200/m and getting it for $59/m, neither I nor anyone else here expected to get hardware RAID for free but in proportion to what they charge for the server which I'm assuming must cost somewhere around $1000-$1500? $50/m for say a $100-$300 RAID card is a bit steep! considering the monthly plan only comes to $59/m.

Also what are you suggesting then? that I should not bother getting this deal at all because the price is too ridiculously low? or that I should somehow purchased unnecessary addon's to make this deal more viable to the provider?

I was just trying to make a point that it's kinda silly to offer this powerful machine but cripple it with a Green Drive?? not that I was expecting Hardware RAID or any of the sorts..

Bottom line is we are on LET, this site attracts cheapness so mentioning something is too cheap is really ridiculous..

• Show me a 90 USD E3 with hardware RAID because I can't find any.

• @prometeus said: You must also allow some joking on this. If you buy / assemble a server with decent enterprise / reliable components you will sum up some $$, then add the energy and the space. You know, somewere the profit need to be done so it's normal it must come from addons :-)

I have no problem with companies making a profit, it's just some companies don't know where they stand! if you are a budget provider then give budget offerings and be fair in your pricing.. It's almost like Hyundai selling you cars for cheap but when it comes time for maintenance they charge you Mercedes Benz type pricing!! tell me there won't be a riot of customers complaining to Hyundai.. All I say is if you are going budget then you should know your customers..

• @Jack said: What's up with sw raid ?

Ah forgot to mention! it does come with on board RAID but I think it's SATA or Fake RAID they call it so might not be compatible with Linux.

The other issue with with software RAID is that it won't work on Vmware or Proxmox.