Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to VPS Hosting Looking to Give Good Deals
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New to VPS Hosting Looking to Give Good Deals

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in Offers

Hi Guys.

I've been in the shared hosting game for quite some time, and even have a couple of VPSes from other vendors here.

I decided to start offering VPS services and am in the process of setting up my VPS offerings.

I want to ask you, the LET and LEB Community what a great deal would be on a VPS in Montreal which can include anywhere from 64mb of RAM to 1GB of RAM (for the time being).

What would make you bite? Please don't be ridiculous.

Comments

• The question I would ask is why would you get into this business? It is not an easy one by any stretch of the imagination, so before you ask what this audience wants, ask yourself why do it? As far as answering your initial question, it is simple: lots of resources for $7 or less, prompt reply to tickets, good customer support, goo network, and as close to %100 up-time as possible... for $7 or less per month.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I'd like 64GB of dedicated RAM, 16 Xeon Cores, 2TB of RAID10 disk space, and Unmetered Gigabit, all on Xen Virtualization, for $7/month ;)

But seriously, do you have the resources to handle a lot of LEB orders/customers/etc. I assumed we would be, but ever since our offer on LowEndBox was posted, it's been a constant stream of work.
    Not to say that isn't great, in fact the last week or so has been incredible, and we've managed to keep almost all of our customers saying "thanks, I love ShoveHost" and rating our ticket responses at five stars, and almost no negative stuff.

We are certainly not going to pull out of the LowEnd market however had we predicted this type of turnout we probably would have hired some additional hands on deck beforehand, and made sure we had the infrastructural capacity beforehand.

In short: if you're used to just providing a little bit of shared hosting, you're going to be surprised (in a potentially bad way)...

• @marcm said: The question I would ask is why would you get into this business? It is not an easy one by any stretch of the imagination, so before you ask what this audience wants, ask yourself why do it? As far as answering your initial question, it is simple: lots of resources for $7 or less, prompt reply to tickets, good customer support, goo network, and as close to %100 up-time as possible... for $7 or less per month.

this :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Well honestly I decided to get into this business to do exactly that. Good amount of resources, good support, and a Canadian network (don't see many) around.

I already do quite well with my hosting business in terms of response times, pricing, and support. I just love this space, and want to do my part in making it grow and thrive.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@agoldenberg who were you going to have dedicated servers with to provide these LowEnd VPS?

• I like you

I am likely going to use OVH for the time being as I find their pricing and network are good. Being that I am bilingual and speak french, their support won't be an issue for me.

I'm not looking to be massive. Just have a few dedicated happy clients. It's not about money or massive amounts of sales. I prefer to be able to sell out the server, and then move on to another.

Maybe even have a reservation system.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack said: OVH will probably suspend you within a few days with a LEB offer.

Guessing? :) MiniVPS did pretty well as long as they offered those french LEB OVH packages. And LusoVPS are also still in business. Most other OVH providers, newbies, were killed because their own incompetency not OVH to be exact.
    @agoldenberg OVH IPs price. 1€ per IP (or is it 1$ in Canada?) will be harder part with potentially smaller vps packages.

Who would like to test one when I am done setting up? PM me.

• Will ovh be viable? The charge for IPS iirc was £1.07 and £20 per month for business use if you need more than 3 ips?

I'm thinking not. Turns out some of their servers don't even allow for extra IPs. Perhaps I'll use Joe's Data Center In this case,

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited February 2013

There are some great offers around wholesale internet / data shack etc.. Spose it depends on your desired location(s)

Plenty of providers here on let that can chip into this thread.

• What hypervisor do you plan on running etc? Just out of interest.

OpenVZ with Solus I believe :)

• Ah OK got ya. What's your budget for the dedi?

I don't really have one at the moment. Trying to crowdsource what people are looking for. at the moment I have a server with dual L5420s 1TB in Raid 1, and 24GB of RAM

• @agoldenberg said: and a Canadian network (don't see many) around

@agoldenberg said: Perhaps I'll use Joe's Data Center

Have we annexed Missouri?

A Canadian presence would make you stand out, otherwise you're just part of the ever-growing crowd.

I would love to be in Canada, however the issue becomes Datacenters here just can't offer the resources that US datacenters can at a reasonable price. This is likely why you don't see a whole lot of Canadian VPS offers.

• How about netelligent.ca? I think they are based in Montreal.

• @agoldenberg said: What would make you bite? Please don't be ridiculous.

What would pique my interest is if you offer VPS's in the $1-$1.5 price range, I seem to like collecting these buck VPS's not really sure why??

@earl What kind of specs would you want in that range?

• well the average would be around 32mb-256mb of RAM 2-5GB of Disk 200-500GB Bandwidth.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@agoldenberg said: How do these prices look?

Looks great I'm sure you will sell lots of the Small VPS @ $2 but really though the XL should be priced at $7 so it fits LEB's pricing.

Well that order form is live. Just working with my DC to get more IPs.

• @agoldenberg: as @sleddog suggested, providing vps from Canadian locations would make your offerings attractive; even the DC costs are a bit more expensive, you can still sell those VPSs as many people would like to have geographical diversification of their LEBs.

• @agoldenberg said: Well that order form is live. Just working with my DC to get more IPs.

Which DC? Joe's?

@sleddog Yes Joe's

@hyao we're not talking a bit more expensive. Take a look at what dedicated boxes in Canada cost. There's not a whole lot of money to be made as the cost of bandwidth is ridiculous.

• @agoldenberg: say if you charge only 20% + your cost for your Canadian VPS offering, I guess that should sell pretty well on LEB?