Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Networking Colleges - My Future, Need Advice - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Networking Colleges - My Future, Need Advice

13»

Comments

• @Mitchell said: Please do so, release as free e-book, the computer generation need some good advice on education and making money.

Might actually do that this summer, always like to face people with the truth, how it is really relevant etc...

• @Mitchell said: Please do so, release as free e-book, the computer generation need some good advice on education and making money.

I'll do some research, if there's a real niche I'll start a free e-book / newsletter combo.

• I got a quote for my Microsoft Certificate from a tutor, £239 (£75 + VAT per module) these exams are sat in centers. These are equal to a Level 3 NVQ.

I don't apparrently have to pay for these though, I phoned connexions and they said prince's fund / royal fund, w.e can fund this.

Look pretty good on a CV, cisco certs are £349.99 or something, basic like £99

Idk what half of these are called but the tutor went through some stuff with me on the phone and said I should be able to pass without a prob.

• Just if you're still considering going uni. Look at all the successful people who didn't attend / dropped uni. Then look at all the uni graduates without a Job with debt.

• @Jacob +1, that's exactly what I'm trying to say

• The fortune500 hiring process described by @raindog308 is pretty much the same for smaller companies. According to my experience, people with university degree often have broader vision and more teamwork-oriented habits, so they are usually a better fit for technical jobs.
    Speaking for myself, I choosed a broad 5 years engineering curruculum, with also a few electronic, electrical and mechanical engineering courses. This has proven to be useful later on, altough at the time it was criticized for lack of focus. University time is the only chance to learn about anything your curiosity will direct you; specialization could come later, with the work experience.

@Jacob said: Look at all the successful people who didn't attend / dropped uni.

I agree with you that university degree is not essential to be successful in business. But the idea that university is not useful to regular people is a myth. The really successful people you cited have special qualities (or luck) that most of us don't have.

• @pcan said: The really successful people you cited have special qualities (or luck) that most of us don't have.

This is actually a very good point.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@pcan I call that "luck" myth bs, nothing is luck. They just achieved their end goals, and didn't stop at the first hurdle.

Agreed, that technology and things are more common now. Since everyone can build a computer without being a genius, but it's not really luck, just depends on the Idea and Vision that you have for your business/product.

I'm sure the majority of us don't plan to be doing $1 - 7 VPSes for the rest of their life, or their brands.

Imho VPS are to cheap these days.