Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Networking Colleges - My Future, Need Advice - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Networking Colleges - My Future, Need Advice

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hey, sometimes you gotta know how to dig.

• @BronzeByte said: I don't know about you but I know plenty of people who can lay and organize cables... The hard part is configuring which can again be done digitally, in a NOC so you have one person controlling multiple datacenter's core network.

sure pleanty of people can do it but again it takes a rather good amount of experience and a huge attention to detail to properly install and dress large scale installations. I can't tell you how many datacenters I go into and see rats-nests sitting in the ladder rack. Heck, TelX's MMR @ 56 Marietta has some of the messiest overheads I've seen. Historically they let any joker run cables throughout it.

• @jarland

We put him in charge of digging through our pile of ancient servers to find treasure to sell :)

• @BronzeByte said: I don't know about you but I know plenty of people who can lay and organize cables... The hard part is configuring which can again be done digitally, in a NOC so you have one person controlling multiple datacenter's core network. (and that person can be out sourced)

You are going to out-source your ONE network engineer/architect? That's not usually how it's done (most have a dedicated team of local network engineers, who are on-site or are able to get on-site quickly), and if you go that route (no pun intended), I wish you much luck.

• Aren't the guys who usually deal with connecting cables in DC, low-wage know-nothing monkeys? You don't really need a degree on the subject of how to connect patch from switch to server.

• @mpi

good cable techs typically are in the $15-$20/hr USD range

• edited February 2013

@mpi said: Aren't the guys who usually deal with connecting cables in DC, low-wage know-nothing monkeys? You don't really need a degree on the subject of how to connect patch from switch to server.

Depends. If they're wiring up servers to switches simply by running 2-6 feet of cable, then yes. On the other hand, I know some guys that work in datacenters that get paid $30-40 an hour to install new ethernet/fiber and set up racks/ladder racks, termination, testing, cable certification, etc. Much more labor, yes, but in my opinion, 10x the fun :)

• @RyanD I'm not sure whether it's good or bad, since I'm not from US and don't have a clue about your salaries.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

@twain said: You are going to out-source your ONE network engineer/architect? That's not usually how it's done (most have a dedicated team of local network engineers, who are on-site or are able to get on-site quickly), and if you go that route (no pun intended), I wish you much luck.

You could hire a company to do it, for example ICTRoom in benelux.

@mpi said: Aren't the guys who usually deal with connecting cables in DC, low-wage know-nothing monkeys? You don't really need a degree on the subject of how to connect patch from switch to server.

They usually are in NL

@RyanD said: good cable techs typically are in the $15-$20/hr USD range

Good god Yeah, but you usually don't need many as those people control the brainless monkeys

• mpimpi Member
    edited February 2013

@BronzeByte said: You could hire a company to do it, for example ICTRoom in benelux

We have similar situation. All site related activities are out-sourced to so called "monkeys" :) .

• @mpi said: We have similar situation. All site related activities are out-sourced to so called "monkeys" :) .

Yeah, most 90's guys know how to assemble servers anyway

• My advice to the op: learn something useful in college/university and if networking seems to be your thing, try to find a job at some ISP/NSP. This might anger some people, but DC stuff is quite boring and ISPs/NSPs have them anyway if it seems to be your thing.

• Thanks for the advice everyone, I just got back Online on this thread and will read each and every one of them individually.

@BronzeByte said: Wtf is on with you kids thinking there is plenty of work in DCs? You don't need more than like 4 people on-site (per shift).

I know DC's don't have a lot of positions available, but my dream is to work in/for a DC.

• Also, everyone please view this http://www.jwu.edu/content.aspx?id=10532 and give me your opinion from this website.

• @Jeffrey said: @BronzeByte said: Wtf is on with you kids thinking there is plenty of work in DCs? You don't need more than like 4 people on-site (per shift).

I know DC's don't have a lot of positions available, but my dream is to work in/for a DC.

DCs need sales, tech. support, web developers, sys. admins... I'm sure you could get your foot in the door. Once you do that and build a good relationship with management, moving up in the company might be a possibility. If that's what you want to do, of course.

• In here, it's assumed that anyone who went to a 'Career/Community' College were either too dumb to enroll into a normal one, or simply missed their prime.

Neither are good for landing a job.

• Those who can, do. Those who can't, get certified.

I remember when I was 14 and getting my MCSE, Windows 3.11 (wfw) was still a valid test a the time and windows 95 was just coming on board..... That was the last cert I got.

MCSE = Must Call Someone Experienced.

I can't tell you how many times I've reviewed resumes and seen items like "Windows XP certification" that people have been conned into from these degree-mill community and tech schools. Seeing things like that on a resume almost instantly forwards it right to the trash.

edited February 2013

Some of us went to a tech school because it was a piece of paper that we were told was important, but refused to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a university that at best could teach us what we already knew ;)

For real though I graduated with people who can't read. What a waste. And so many pseudo-intellectual teachers who couldn't tell DOS from BSD.

• Problem is @jarland, the paper from the tech school will get you laughed at, at least here anyway :P

The university ones at least don't call for laughter, what they're evaluated at is another story entirely though.

edited February 2013

Well my first choice was $80,000. To teach me what I knew. So yeah, tech school ;)

Anyone who judges on degree alone doesn't deserve good workers.

• The stereotypes aren't really wrong, to be honest. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions, but most people I know who attend one would make really crappy employees.

Exceptions can't fault a rule, etc. But I get where you're coming from.

• I work for Verizon and they have their heads up their arses when it comes to hiring people. They will turn down a CCIE if they dont have at least an associates degree. A college degree means squat to me because we've been forced to hire college educated people so much that most of them are barely functional and refuse to listen to directions. I'd rather hire a long haired hippy type with a dozen certs over a college educated guy with a CCNA.

edited February 2013

I can get behind that @Wintereise. I saw the people who went there. People going for computer based degrees that didn't have email addresses. Teachers that thought the basics of Linux made them gods to all of us (I humbled a few of them for fun). It would definitely be listed after the experience category on my résumé ;)

You'd think half of them were there because it was part of their parole terms...

• In my opinion schoolsystem (college, university, high school) is made for people who don't have enough passion to learn things on their own. Majority of people seem to think that you can't be good in anything unless you have some sort of degree. To me, schools have always been boring, teaching stuff I already know, and not offering enough in areas I'd like to know more. The system seems to think that nobody knows anything when they start to study, which I guess works for most of the people, but then there's people who have passion into something and are willing, and actually are studying it on their own. I can safely say I've learnt nothing from schools related to computers that I already didn't know - heck, teacher was asking me when some other kids had questions on IT related classes.
    I quit school after high school, went into military service and got trained as truck driver. So that's my official profession - yet I work in IT, doing things I've always enjoyed. :-)
    my two cents

• dont get a job in networking. Youd regret it. My advice, stick to popular engineering eg: mechanical or civil. After graduate spend a couple years to get your IR and earn big bucks. Network engineering is shit. Not a real engineering

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Join the army and become engineer there

• @RyanD said: Unfortunately there are no long term traditional educations that will teach you real world applicable system administration or network engineering skill sets.

That is very much dependant on the country. For example here (DE) people like sysadmins, network admins and programmers never visit a university, they do an apprenticeship/vocational training. I don't know if there is something comparable in the US but it provides the knowledge required to program/sysadmin/network in a very practical way.

I was suggesting that @Jeffrey tries to find something like this because it sounds like the kind of stuff he'd benefit most from.

• @fisle said: Majority of people seem to think that you can't be good in anything unless you have some sort of degree.

True, the people who actually expect to get ''rich'' by getting a degree are the majority. I learned that becoming an assertive, confident, honest and well balanced person makes you a lot more money then piling through some random degree.

I could probably write a lot of books on this matter but, who'd buy that crap.

• @KernelSanders said: hands on experience

If you wish to "hand on" all your life.

• @ztec said: I could probably write a lot of books on this matter but, who'd buy that crap.

Please do so, release as free e-book, the computer generation need some good advice on education and making money.