Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motion to ban listing on LEB/LET for providers with private whois - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Motion to ban listing on LEB/LET for providers with private whois

124»

Comments

• @NHRoel said: Paypal and Amazon offers buyers protection. Leb don't ;)

Customers don't pay via LEB do they ?

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Customers don't pay via LEB do they ?

This is why your example above is not valid ;)

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@NHRoel said: This is why your example above is not valid ;)

What?

How can it not be valid when there paying using the same gateway :S

You view at ebay and pay via PayPal, thus protected (If the account holder is confirmed)
    You view at LEB and pay via PayPal, thus protected (If the account holder is confirmed)

• "You could provide your UTR to Liam/Chief.

If you're a sole trader and don't want to give out your UTR you could provide one of the following instead: proof of VAT registration, proof of business insurance or employers liability insurance, proof of self employment from HMRC like a class 2 NICS bill or exception, proof of membership certificate from FSB , etc

"I had the choice of going LTD or self-employed as does every business

slightly off topic (and only an example of me butting in with my personal opinion :P ) but...the £15.00 fee Companies House charges for web incorporation (and the time spent doing the paperwork for the required annual filings) is a very small investment to make to protect your personal assets from liability if a customer decides to sue your hosting business for whatever reason. You have absolutely no protection if you operate as a sole trader.

edited February 2013

@DomainBop said: slightly off topic (and only an example of me butting in with my personal opinion :P ) but...the £15.00 fee Companies House charges for web incorporation (and the time spent doing the paperwork for the required annual filings) is a very small investment to make to protect your personal assets from liability if a customer decides to sue your hosting business for whatever reason. You have absolutely no protection if you operate as a sole trader.

And when its your business, your free to run it however you see fit :) Or are you offering to do my paperwork? In which case, come to my address and get started (Then verify i live here to Chief haha)

• @DomainBop said: If you're a sole trader and don't want to give out your UTR you could provide one of the following instead: proof of VAT registration, proof of business insurance or employers liability insurance, proof of self employment from HMRC like a class 2 NICS bill or exception, proof of membership certificate from FSB , etc

This. You can provide proof anyhow. Sole trader or company - either way. Any legal entity can provide proof.

edited February 2013

@concerto49 said: This. You can provide proof anyhow. Sole trader or company - either way. Any legal entity can provide proof.

Well yea, any scanned letter with address is good enough.

But that brings me back to my other point, why should i give those details to LEB when LEB itself provides absolutely no company information, yet receive bucket loads in paid advertising.

I cant see any section on the LEB website providing any company information at all.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: But that brings me back to my other point, why should i give those details to LEB when LEB itself provides absolutely no company information, yet receive bucket loads in paid advertising.

I cant see any section on the LEB website providing any company information at all.

You should provide this on your website so customers can verify it. Not on LEB. You don't put this information on ads of any sort.

edited February 2013

@concerto49 said: You should provide this on your website so customers can verify it. Not on LEB. You don't put this information on ads of any sort.

I do provide this info on our website, i provide what the UK law specifies i have to provide.

People here are suggesting we should provide this to LEB also, but why should i provide those details (Such as scanned NIC contribution letter etc) to a company (LowEndBox) that doesn't provide any information itself.

I'm struggling to see how you cant understand my point.

Which again, if you re-read, i mentioned the rules are different in each country, if im providing what my country specifies i have to, why do i have to provide extra details for a random website.

• It takes 20 seconds to Google up a fake address, and nobody will suspect a thing.

WHOIS is not a valid form of research, never will be.

Pointless discussion, and even more pointless idea. If you really want to verify, ask for a company registration number.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Wintereise In theory maybe, but a private whois is an easy road block to investigating a host. In theory they could use fake info and be completely original. In reality, time and time again they leave a signature that links them to their last scam. We've all seen it repeatedly. The bottom line is that if you're not willing to put in even a little effort to make yourself look legit, you're likely a scam. Allowing a forum to be an easy venue for scammers is how you become wjunction.

As the market allows easier entry into vps sales, scams will increase. If we allow scams to increase exponentially, this forum will be abandoned. Thus, rules. Preventive measures are not a bad thing, and this request is far from unreasonable.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited February 2013

I'm not saying it's unreasonable, I'm just saying that it'll convert to little to no leverage.

Scammers sort of get away with scamming due to being a step ahead of everyone else, and this will just prompt them to forge documents -- if the idea of asking for a copy of a bill is being considered.

In essence, all I'm saying is that we should look for a better preventive measure -- not just whois. My previous idea of company registration would block off the sole traders, so that won't really do.

• More bans.. more rules.. gosh !!! please stop it. I am totally against it. From a buyer's perspective, please stop being our nanny. WHT is enough for that.

By keeping on adding one rule after another, you will kill even the last traces of the original spirit of this blog/forum. Did anyone notice that the majority of the people rallying for this are "providers" who would want to suck every drop of business out of this blog. I don't want to see them using "No WHOIS privacy" as a feather in their hat against the new entrepreneurs who are initially skeptical about their business model. Some of them succeed, others go to the dead-pool sooner or later. That is how it works.

Things used to be so much fun when rules were lax and the owner of the blog was experimental and adventurous about listings. Now same set of people arguing with each other in every other thread. Some of them sharpening and showing off their investigative skills just too much. More or less same providers and their "fanboys" using LET as their personal Twitter/FB/Sale & Support Desk and what not.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@akb Sure we're providers but for all we know you're an alternate username for a provider who hides behind whois protection. You can assume we have unspoken motives, but we can assume the same of you, gets us no where. That conspiracy theory is a deadend.

Providers aren't your punching bags. We're part of this community too. I was here before this signature, I'll be here long after you get bored and leave.

• @jarland said: I was here before this signature, I'll be here long after you get bored and leave.

I am sure you will be here for obvious reasons :) But please give room to others also.

@jarland said: but for all we know you're an alternate username for a provider who hides behind whois protection

like being a detective than a host :)

@jarland said: Providers aren't your punching bags.

I am not punching anyone. I used to pick my providers from WHT f=104 then came LEB into existence and LEA saved so much of my time by listing only budget providers. After the slowdown on LEB & the inception of LET, I started reading this forum for provider's self listings, tutorials and other nice informative stuff. These days it provides quite a lot of entertainment also :) I know I am not contributing to this site but it has always been a good resource to me in many ways. God bless you LEA where ever you are.

• I support this motion as well +1 :)

This discussion has been closed.