Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motion to ban listing on LEB/LET for providers with private whois - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Motion to ban listing on LEB/LET for providers with private whois

Comments

• @GetKVM_Ash said: I am self-employed as a person, not a company. I can run as many company's as i like, under as many names as i like, as long as its my name on any invoices paid to/from me.

As a self employed person in the UK, there is no database to check details against such as the Companies House, nor do i have a registered business number.

So how the hell can i or others (@JHadley for one) prove anything to meet this criteria if it was to come in force :)

Understood. But in my defense, (pardon me, because I am not familiar with UK law's), how am I supposed to verify GETKVM's whois?

• PhilNDPhilND Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: So how the hell can i or others (@JHadley for one) prove anything to meet this criteria if it was to come in force :)

You could provide your UTR to Liam/Chief. Not sure if LEN would be able to contact HMRC and confirm you are who you say you are as well as your address though.

• @NHRoel said: Understood. But in my defense, (pardon me, because I am not familiar with UK law's), how am I supposed to verify GETKVM's whois?

You cant, that's the point im getting at. A rule cant be set that all providers must be a registered business as trading rules are different in every country and not every country has a database of company's etc. We shouldn't all have to meet the expectations of the USA.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: You cant, that's the point im getting at. A rule cant be set that all providers must be a registered business as trading rules are different in every country and not every country has a database of company's etc. We shouldn't all have to meet the expectations of the USA.

How about being > 6 months since your first LET offer? Community based and community measured. No BS over so and so being in business for 6 years when they haven't.

It means you've been participating in the community as well. It will take out most of the Summer/Winter hosts.

• @PhilND said: You could provide your UTR to Liam/Chief. Not sure if LEN would be able to contact HMRC and confirm you are who you say you are as well as your address though.

Wait.. what?

I should give out my Unique Tax Reference out to the internet, a sensitive piece of information unique to me which is required for filing records online and come's from the Government Gateway which specifically asks you to keep it safe.

And i seriously doubt HMRC will hand out information on individuals, remember im not legally a separate entity, im a person hence that would be private/personal information.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: database of company's

Most of the countries do have something. When was the last time some one from Mongolia submitted an offer ;)?

If you want to have whois enabled and enforce it, make it verifiable :). I am pretty sure we can not verify whois info from some one who belongs to Namibia :P.

Plus most of the host (kiddy) are from EU/US/India and they all have some way to verify business.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@NHRoel said: Most of the countries do have something.

By most you mean the US and the UK (For LTD company's) ?

I'm pretty sure there is no such database for sole traders in ANY country.

• We can at least Google the owner's name(s) of dumb kiddie hosts when this gets enforced.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: By most you mean the US and the UK (For LTD company's) ?

India, China, Korea etc.

• @BronzeByte said: We can at least Google the owner's name(s) of dumb kiddie hosts when this gets enforced.

My name is Kunnu singh. Prove it otherwise.

• @NHRoel said: Plus most of the host (kiddy) are from EU/US/India and they all have some way to verify business.

Kiddie hosts don't bother to register it as legal entity, that is more or less the definition of it

• @NHRoel said: India, China, Korea etc.

Like i said, for sole traders? Nope, no such thing exists. Your expecting other company's to be ran how yours is, which is not fair.

I had the choice of going LTD or self-employed as does every business, LEB shouldn't decide which option i take.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Don't we typically make fun of WHT because of all their rules? Why do the same here

• On another note, a confirmed PayPal address would be just as much proof as anything else.

• @BronzeByte said: Kiddie hosts don't bother to register it as legal entity, that is more or less the definition of it

They don't bother to have original whois either ;)

@GetKVM_Ash said: Like i said, for sole traders? Nope, no such thing exists. Your expecting other company's to be ran how yours is, which is not fair.

I had the choice of going LTD or self-employed as does every business, LEB shouldn't decide which option i take.

And we keep getting back to the same point, how can I verify you are Ashly from UK and Jacob from UK?

• @NHRoel said: My name is Kunnu singh. Prove it otherwise.

A lot of kiddie hosts including yearlyvm don't lie about their identity, we can google his name and find a lot of spoiled reputation, same for kunnu, why put a name known as "scam artist".

edited February 2013

@NHRoel said: And we keep getting back to the same point, how can I verify you are Ashly from UK and Jacob from UK?

Like i said, you cant. How can i verify your legitimate? Anybody can pay a few dollars to register a business name.

This is the internet, its never going to be scam-proof.

• @BronzeByte said: A lot of kiddie hosts including yearlyvm don't lie about their identity, we can google his name and find a lot of spoiled reputation, same for kunnu, why put a name known as "scam artist"

Alright, my name is Humza B. Now prove me wrong. My point is, you can not really verify anyone simply based on whois.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: I should give out my Unique Tax Reference out to the internet, a sensitive piece of information unique to me which is required for filing records online and come's from the Government Gateway which specifically asks you to keep it safe.

I wasn't too sure if it was that sensitive. My accountant asked for mine and I didn't think twice.

Off-topic:
    Can I ask why you opted for sole trader opposed to being a limited company instead? I'm interested in business and I thought being a limited company was the most appropriate. Would be interesting to see why you opted for that instead.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Like i said, you cant. How can i verify your legitimate? Anybody can pay a few dollars to register a business name.

You need to submit legal ID, proof of residency, (Such as SSN, Drivers license etc.). You know when you send a mail to that address, some one will receive it.

• @Jack said: Jacob has an LTD.

That was my point. I can verify Jacob as Jacob (or at least his Company) but I can not verify Ashley as Ashley or GetKVM.

• You don't need to verify it, just not give hosts the oppertunity to dissapear. Summer hosts usually have/had private whois, because they got it as free addon anyway, some people intend to deadpool (UptimeVPS...) but most just get left by owner for school or other personal issues.

It's really not that hard to get a different address from your home address, whois history also helps a lot of times.

• i support this notion.

edited February 2013

@NHRoel said: You need to submit legal ID, proof of residency, (Such as SSN, Drivers license etc.). You know when you send a mail to that address, some one will receive it.

Anybody can move overnight :) Happens all the time over here, for other reasons.

@PhilND said: Can I ask why you opted for sole trader opposed to being a limited company instead? I'm interested in business and I thought being a limited company was the most appropriate. Would be interesting to see why you opted for that instead.

I asked a lot of other people before i made my decision, this was my first time running a business and various other LTD company's and accountants suggested going self-employed as its less paperwork for me and the LTD "advantages" aren't really reaped until your reaching certain turnovers.

The amount of people that said "I wished i would have gone self-employed" was astonishing.

My accountant fees are £0.00 a year :)

@PhilND

In theory with that UTR and a few other details, i could reset your HMRC password via the Government Gateway. Fair enough its probably a lot harder than it sounds, but still possible.

Its just not something i would feel comfortable giving some random guy on the internet, after all how do we verify Chief is Chief. Its a vicious circle.

• @Jack said: That's different to a website... You pay the accountant to do your books...

We found our accountant online. He's local to my colleague but we haven't met in person just yet. Perhaps I should be more careful who I share such sensitive details with.

• @Jack said: sn't there a present rule for private whois? Less than 12 months, it's not allowed?

That's just LEB if I am not mistaken.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: This is the internet, its never going to be scam-proof.

Exactly, LEB is a trust market, you trust the uptime, that it won't take a run and that it won't lose your data. Want to have guarantees from a legal company? Then don't go cheap and go to Rackspace or Linode are any other big, verified, legit VPS company.

• @Nick_A said: How about public whois and a requirement to demonstrate business registration when submitting an ad? I can't think of any good reason someone would balk at submitting business registration if he or she is going to be promoted to the hundreds or thousands of potential customers who hit LEB all the time.

Exactly

• @RyanD said: Exactly

Another person politely ignoring my comments, ah well.

Another thought to note, if you use ebay/amazon etc (Who hasn't) then how do you verify those sellers are legitimate, you don't.

The best way to go about this would be verifiying by PayPal or the company's merchant account. Obviously for a company to hold a merchant or confirmed PayPal account these companies must hold a valid debit/credit card or bank account which is in turn linked to a home address (Directly via the bank).

So in reality, there will be a clause in PayPal etc TOS that states they are required by law to share info with the authorities, that info will be linked to a legitimate home address at some point down the line.

Maybe a deposit system such as PayPals, where the company completes a small one time payment from a confirmed account to LEB could work.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Another thought to note, if you use ebay/amazon etc (Who hasn't) then how do you verify those sellers are legitimate, you don't.

Paypal and Amazon offers buyers protection. Leb don't ;)

This discussion has been closed.