Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A better Windows ssh client? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A better Windows ssh client?

Comments

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited April 2015

I've used PuTTY in the past, but switched over to Royal TS. Works absolutely fantastic, scales properly on 4K displays and supports tons of protocols. And don't forget to use something like zsh with oh-my-zsh (agnoster theme) on your boxes for a perfect shell experience. Could end up looking like this:

Thanked by 2deadbeef Jonchun
  • @NeoXiD said:
    I've used PuTTY in the past, but switched over to [Royal TS]

I'll try it, thanks!

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited April 2015

@NeoXiD said:

What theme is that?

• @camjac251: As stated above, agnoster, bundled within the oh-my-zsh plugin pack. I'm using zsh and antigen (plugin manager for zsh) on all my boxes. Those 4 lines are sufficient to get the same look (.zshrc):

source ~/.antigen.zsh

>

antigen use oh-my-zsh

>

antigen theme agnoster

>

antigen bundle zsh-users/zsh-syntax-highlighting

You'll have to use a font with powerline support though, I'm using DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline. zsh offers a lot of really cool and handy features, you should definitely give it a try if you've only used bash so far.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

+1 for royal ts!

I've been using royal tsx (mac version) and it's great, easily group your servers, password management, support for windows RDP as well as many other protocols. Worth the money.

• @NeoXiD said:
    I've used PuTTY in the past, but switched over to Royal TS. Works absolutely fantastic, scales properly on 4K displays and supports tons of protocols. And don't forget to use something like zsh with oh-my-zsh (agnoster theme) on your boxes for a perfect shell experience. Could end up looking like this:

What a great find. Did you buy it? Or is the free one sufficient?

• @Jonchun said:

I've exactly the same questions. What does the "free up to 10 connections mean"? Does it mean 10 simultaneous connections or 10 saved connections? If it's the latter, I've unfortunately no use for it. I'll roll on with my MtPutty and RDCman then.

• @Jonchun said:

Well, you don't have to buy it, but then you can't really store a lot of connections / credentials. After testing it for about a month (without any problems), I decided to purchase a license. 35$ really isn't a lot compared to SecureCRT and similar products.

Royal TS is Shareware and can be used for free with the following limitations:

>

• Only one document can be opened at the same time
    • The maximum number of connections is 10.
    • The maximum number of credentials is 10.

>

Royal TS can be used indefinitely, even in Shareware Mode!

• @NeoXiD said:

So it's 10 stored connections, not 10 simultaneous connections?

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited April 2015

@socials said:

Exactly. You can however create a template with your SSH settings in it and then use ad-hoc connections. Basically when you click on a template, you have the possibility to enter a hostname and immediately connect to that box without creating a stored connection. It's not the best solution though, if you've got host specific credentials or want to check things like SSH fingerprints.

• @NeoXiD said:

I'm the type of guy who buys Sublime Text after trying it for like 2 hours because I get annoyed by popups haha. (for the record, it was a very fair spend of $75 or so and I recommend other developers try it out)

And good to see that the shareware version doesn't seem to have any annoyances. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

• @NeoXiD said:
    Exactly. You can however create a template with your SSH settings in it and then use ad-hoc connections. Basically when you click on a template, you have the possibility to enter a hostname and immediately connect to that box without creating a stored connection.

Alright, thanks for that. Not an option for me though, since I've hundreds of stored connections on my MtPutty, hard to remember em' all.

• ConEmu + http://git-scm.com/download/win (config it with PATH)

• @Jonchun said:
    And good to see that the shareware version doesn't seem to have any annoyances. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Slightly offtopic: It actually took me 4 months to purchase Sublime Text 3, haha. But it was definitely worth the money! Even started writing plugins for proprietary scripting languages at work and convinced others to purchase it too.

@socials said:
    Alright, thanks for that. Not an option for me though, since I've hundreds of stored connections on my MtPutty, hard to remember em' all.

Well, you can also purchase it and you'll be set. :p

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @NeoXiD said:

True, but.. my current setup also works, and it's free. It's just that it's two different programs, Royal TS would merge them into one.

• @NeoXiD said:

If the software works as it should, you're right. $35 is a small price to pay :)

• @socials said:
    True, but.. my current setup also works, and it's free. It's just that it's two different programs, Royal TS would merge them into one.

Sure, always depends on what you need. I for myself often use RDP, VNC, TeamViewer and ofcourse SSH. Royal TS allows me to use and manage them all within one application. If your setup is working fine, that's great - would probably take a while anways to move all your saved connections :)

Thanked by 1socials
  • NomadNomad Member

+1 for Xshell.
    So far it's by far the best client for my needs.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @taronyu said:
    cmder here :)

Wow, looks neat. Could be very useful for all that development stuff, as I really hate that ugly windows cmd.

I seriously never got why Windows sticks to block selection, as soon as your command wraps, you're screwed.

• alexjjalexjj Member
    edited April 2015

I run GateOne on a VPS and then use it on windows/any computer. It's a HTML5 ssh client.

Thanked by 1TheLonely
  • sinsin Member

XShell is free for personal use, works great and looks great too.

• ChuckChuck Member

Cmder or XShell?

• @Chuck said:
    Cmder or XShell?

2 completely different pieces of software. First one is a local shell.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • XShell +1

• sinsin Member

@Chuck said:
    Cmder or XShell?

Go with XShell, you'll love it - I'm using the beta versions of XShell and Xftp (for sftp) and they have a modern look with a lot of nice features and free for personal use.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Has anyone tried SSH.NET https://sshnet.codeplex.com/

• If on firefox , give Firessh a try ...

• cygwin and tmux, I have 20+ servers open in my tmux and it works great. No different than if I was on linux.

• dotsidotsi Member

I think supperputty is one of the best, you can have multiple tabs, save sessions, and send multiple commands to all your open tabs at once.

https://code.google.com/p/superputty/