Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPP not working? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPP not working?

13»

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@BlueVM while I appreciate your concern, I don't fail to secure my servers, I pay for CloudFlare so ShoveHost won't get DDoS'ed, I keep a close eye on all VPS nodes and shared hosting servers so resource abuse would not be a big deal, I don't overload servers because I want to make sure my customers' hosting experience is as good as possible. Grow too fast? Nah, I'm prepared. I've set everything up in a very scalable manner. And why would I shut down.

• @shovenose - If you honestly believe that cloudflare can stop a DDOS you're in worse trouble than I previously thought.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack - If he has the $200 /mo package I want a screenshot and I'll shut up. Then again what happens if one of his client's IPs gets hit by a DDOS?

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: Ideally, you learn before you start offering the service. I wouldn't perform open heart surgery without going to medical school first.

It's fine, you can test on the patient right? :>

• @Jack - Yes, but does he know how to do that? Does his datacenter have a switch setup for him with auto-nullroute?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

No way you are 25, you sound like you are 14.

On the other side - recentely I had problems enabling PPP on a single container on a HN (where other containers were using it without any problem, on the same HN), never figured out what the issue was actually, still bugs me -.-

• @Jack - This of course assumes he has either A: IPMI/KVM access or B: his server isn't entirely flooded.

• @Jack - That's still 8 hours of waiting if it's at 2 AM.

@BlueVM

Nah, pretty much every half-decent DC will null the IP for him on incomming floods. It comes a bit more difficult if the flood is outgoing, saturating the server port (or even not saturating it completly). Not all providers are ready to work with you on seeing which IP is sending the outgoing floods, it is a common practise to rate-limit the whole port for example or nullroute the whole server.

Alexander

• @Jack - You'd be surprised. Had something similar happen at WSI, they "weren't in that building" at the time so it took a while to get it hooked up.

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack said: netflow or something and get which IP is under attack.

What about unbinding ip from the node? That should stop all traffic flow right?

Even if you drop the packets at node level, the actual traffic will still be hitting the server. It has to be done on higher level, local nullroutes are useless.

• @Jack said: You could drop the ARP but then the switch still has to tank the attack then?

That is still a better solution while you wait for your dc to do something :). Temp quick fix :P

@Jack said: Not really?

If you drop the ARP the ARP drops up to the switch.. which helps you but not the provider.

Not absolutely sure about this, however I'll take your word on it, never done a research on it myself. Never had to (Hopefully won't need to as well) :)

• @Jack Lol. True. But it is useful when you are with CorExchange (when their support takes 4 hour to reply :( ) or with internap who has bigger commits :)

• @NHRoel said: or with internap who has bigger commits :)

But my poor Juniper switch would still die.

• @concerto49 said: But my poor Juniper switch would still die.

Juniper needs to sell some replacement parts to pay their bills. Those bill ain't gonna pay themselves you know :P

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

This is resolved. I had forgot to run yum install ppp on the host node.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: This is resolved. I had forgot to run yum install ppp on the host node.

Its always the simplest damn thing lol

• @shovenose said: I had a customer who ordered a VPS a few days ago, then a day later an email hosting package and a domain name. Tell me, would they have ordered the second batch of services if they would not have been happy with the VPS??

Whoah, a single customer?

• @shovenose said: yum install ppp

isn't that step 1?