Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPP not working? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPP not working?

Comments

• @GetKVM_Ash I think so...

• @Jacob said: @GetKVM_Ash I think so...

Don't even tell me your mum made it for you!

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash Pssh, I made her some aswell.

I thought your comment was sarcastic.

• @Jacob said: @GetKVM_Ash Pssh, I made her some aswell.

I thought your comment was sarcastic.

No lol. I couldn't work out if it was just brown bread or fried :)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

It was pretty burned but between Watching the pan, the beans and bacon and making a coffee... :P

I should cook more rather than ordering from Just-eat.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@GetKVM_Ash said: Ideally, you learn before you start offering the service. I wouldn't perform open heart surgery without going to medical school first.

I completely agree with this ...

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@NHRoel This still isn't fixed and a link to myself is not helpful. I've done everything in the guides but it is still not working.

• @shovenose said: @NHRoel This still isn't fixed and a link to myself is not helpful. I've done everything in the guides but it is still not working.

Then you didn't do everything in the 'guides'.

• @shovenose Let us know what you've done so far, and we may be able to help you from there.

• @shovenose - I normally keep to myself and try to avoid meddling in other hosts business, but in this case I have to speak up: SELL YOUR COMPANY NOW AND LEAVE

You have absolutely no idea what your doing and can't even be bothered to google your problem. I could understand if you came here and posted what you had already tried asking for help, but you honestly did nothing and expected us to do the work for you.

edited February 2013

@BlueVM yes, you're right, get the fuck out of my thread. I'm not selling anything and I'm not going anywhere. Maybe you're worried that I can compete with you and take away customers from you? My recent LowEndBox listing was very successful, I have approx. 120 customers now and that's still growing on a daily basis. Only one has actually not been happy with the service, and that was caused by him violating the terms of service.

Now, for the helpful community members who actually want to help me, I've followed the directions in the link http://openvz.org/PPP_in_container and it doesn't still doesn't work:

HN # nano /etc/sysconfig/modules/ppp.modules

.#!/bin/sh

/sbin/modprobe ppp_async
    /sbin/modprobe ppp_deflate
    /sbin/modprobe ppp_mppe

• Apparently Michel Staake has been disabled on WHT for some reason....

shovenose
    Disabled

edited February 2013

@Corey yeah I noticed... and?

• @shovenose - Anyone can get 120 customers when they firesale and there's plenty of room in the low end market for hosts that know what they're doing. The fact that you don't know what your doing and you think that you can compete astounds me. Let me know when you have nearly 3,000 clients in 6 locations and are still unable to enable PPP on your own.

• @shovenose said: @Corey yeah I noticed... and?

Just throwing some data out there for investigators.

@BlueVM Well once somebody here actually helps me figure it out, I won't be having PPP issues anymore. I know what I'm doing (mostly) enough to keep my customers happy for the price they pay. Everything will change (in a positive way) in May when more employees are hired, we get an actual office, we start adding credit card as a direct payment method, etc. but until then the two of us (me and a friend who I pay to help) will just have to run ShoveHost our way. We host several local small businesses as well as provide several different solutions for many customers. For example, I had a customer who ordered a VPS a few days ago, then a day later an email hosting package and a domain name. Tell me, would they have ordered the second batch of services if they would not have been happy with the VPS??

@Corey Wow, you know how to use a WHOIS lookup. How impressive! /sarcasm

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Learning on the go is fine, as long as you can afford blowing things up without any real damage being caused.

Running a hosting company is not one of those things.

Well I started a thread with a nice, reasonable question. Then these threadcrappers had to come in.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: @Corey Wow, you know how to use a WHOIS lookup. How impressive! /sarcasm

I didn't whois you I simply googled shovenose. I found your facebook but you keep everything private..... and claim you are 25.

http://hardwareinsights.com/
    http://status.shovenet.com/

Michel Staake
    Founder & CEO
    (415)8278723
    SHOVENET

@joepie91 well, I don't see what blowing things up and wanting to enable PPP have to do with each other. Perhaps I'll just tell the client they can't have PPP and give them a partial refund. It's really not a big deal. Even though I would like to learn how to do it so next time I can do it quickly and not have to post on a forum about how to do it.

@Corey still don't get the relevance between any of that, and by question about PPP?

@Corey Yup, I used to run Hardware Insights. Even though it got turned over to my friend in AU because I didn't have time for it.

• edited February 2013

@shovenose

You are wasting your time explaining your self to anyone here. Do as you please and ignore everyone else.

@stylexnetworks any chance you know how to fix PPP?

• did u enable it in the nodes kernel?

• shovenose hit me up on pm

@ZinnVPS thank you being helpful. I did not know I had to change the kernel. Currently the node is running 2.6.32-042stab068.8

• @shovenose - So I was offering some friendly advice, not trying to belittle you. Joepie91 is right and what will happen will be one of the following:

1. You fail to secure your servers correctly and a hacker breaks in.
    2. One of your clients attracts a DDOS and you go down for days.
    3. One of your clients executes a script which eats all of your CPU/RAM/Bandwidth/Other and you go down for days.
    4. You overload your servers, because lets face it you don't know how to calibrate the number of users to the hardware.
    5. Some of your users will ask for complicated setups that you are not prepared to offer, but you'll agree to anyway and when that fails they'll leave bad reviews about your company.
    6. You'll try to grow too fast and will sacrifice quality or profitability and it will lead to your dedicated server being suspended.
    7. Insert miscellaneous other problem which forces you to shut down here...

As I said before, I recommend you sell to someone or get a business partner who knows more about Linux and Google than you do.