Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy Xen or KVM for the same price? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you buy Xen or KVM for the same price?

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

KVM will not take over. Latest Xen promises more than just KVM, lower overhead and lots of options. Depends how fast solus will adapt, tho.
    Very interesting:
    http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2012/10/31/the-paravirtualization-spectrum-part-2-from-poles-to-a-spectrum/

• We are offering our Xen and KVM VPS servers at identical prices for identical packages so that customers can make a choice based on their needs instead of pricing. Personally I don't think that Xen should cost more than KVM.

• emgemg Veteran

I have a KVM VPS. Their SolusVM control panel offers the option to reinstall from a limited selection of minimal configuration templates - CentOS (5, 6), Debian 6, Ubuntu 12.10, and a trial version of Windows 2012 Server.

When you perform the reinstall, the control panel displays a random-looking 8 character root password - you will need it. As far as I can tell, it is the only time you will see it. You cannot change the root password from the SolusVM control panel, unlike my OpenVZ VPS. There is also an emergency VNC console, but all it will get you is the console login prompt.

In addition, you can also mount and boot from a large number of .iso disk images and install the respective operating systems from one of them. There are far too many to list here. Obviously, when you install an OS from a .iso image, you must remember the root password you chose, the same as any other OS installation.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@emg said: There is also an emergency VNC console, but all it will get you is the console login prompt.

There are ways to reset the root password and those work from the console like from any regular machine.

• emgemg Veteran

@Maounique said: There are ways to reset the root password and those work from the console like from any regular machine.

Can you elaborate on how to break out of the VNC console login prompt to reset the root password?

• @Maounique said: Very interesting:

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2012/10/31/the-paravirtualization-spectrum-part-2-from-poles-to-a-spectrum/

Interesting read indeed. Although it says nothing about KVM or Xen being faster at the end of the day. Theory is one thing; implementation is another. PVH is still along way away as well.

• @emg search google for init=/bin/sh

• @Maounique said: KVM will not take over. Latest Xen promises more than just KVM, lower overhead and lots of options. Depends how fast solus will adapt, tho.

Very interesting:

News from the other side:
    QEMU 1.4.0 released with 95% of native IO performance

• It depeneds on the configuration of the containers.
    For me XEN is all about patching guest kernels and therefore limited access to current kernel versions. But you have dedicated resources.
    KVM, or better qemu using KVM has some overhead but you can just run anything. Without patches because no hypervisor is running.
    OpenVZ is the choice for heterogeneous environments. If you want to use the same kernel everthing is fine.

My main vps is based on XEN. It is a joy to use it. But whenever I am asking the maintainer of the server ... the configuration and upgrades are quite a pain.
    At home I am using KVM because I do like qemu. Perfect for old dos boxes, for running MongoDB and other things different to "standard debian box".
    You do not have to look if there is a fitting kernel. Qemu takes it whatever you want to boot.

My preference for personal use would be: qemu KVM > XEN >>> OpenVZ.
    My preference for job related things: VMware and it's eco system.
    My preference for cheap and fast splitting of a server: OpenVZ. But only if someone is able to configure it the right way.

• @wlanboy said: For me XEN is all about patching guest kernels and therefore limited access to current kernel versions. But you have dedicated resources.

AFAIK, lots of XEN patches have already been merged into the mainline kernel. On Ubuntu, one gets the same version of the latest kernel (Xen Dom0 and DomU): Linux 3.2.0-37-generic

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

if you just need use Linux OS, Xen Pv is best!