Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy Xen or KVM for the same price?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you buy Xen or KVM for the same price?

erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
edited February 2013 in General

If you could choose and why :-)

Comments

• Kvm, mainline integration :)

• @RyanD said: Kvm, mainline integration :)

I meant from consumer point of view

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

XEN or KVM is simillar compare OpenVZ.

Personal choice will be XEN.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Xen is 2 kinds, Xen-PV and Xen-HVM, KVM is more or less HVM.
    Xen PV i prefer over OVZ because it is a different thing compared to KVM, cannot stand in the same category, regarding HVM, i would probably go with KVM.
    At home I use Xen in the form of XCP and same did at work. My former job, that is.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

Xen-PV. Apart from wasting a bit more time for initial setup with KVM I don't see any difference when it come to my own VPS usage. Good ole' stable Xen just work the way I want and need so why to pretend how cool is to waste a bit more time (and sometimes also money) for initial KVM setup for basically the same usability?

• My preference for Xen is one of the reasons I chose CloudVPS over the KVM-based TransIP and Tilaa when I was looking for a VPS/Cloud provider in the Netherlands.

• KVM. Easier to fix OS issues when things go wrong.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Depends what I'm doing. The biggest complaint I have with KVM is that it's not easy to reinstall the OS...whereas with OvZ or Xen, it's a couple clicks. On the other hand, with KVM you have a lot more freedom, so...it depends.

• @raindog308 said: The biggest complaint I have with KVM is that it's not easy to reinstall the OS

That is just solus. You can use templates for KVM. Solus is starting to use them, but they are a little glitchy.

• @raindog308 All I do to reinstall KVM is boot system rescue cd and run 1 command

wget http://server/location/of/templateinstallscripts/os.sh -O -|bash

and it installs a template of that OS for me.

• Xen-PV for me. I have one KVM VPS, and it's fine, but it took a long time to setup properly, whereas the Xen setup was quick and painless.

• Y none of u use KVM templates?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I prefer Xen myself.

• XEN-HVM & KVM are about the same to me. I prefer them because you can install from your own distribution CD. This allows you to setup an encrypted LVM out of the box with Debian (maybe other distributions). Using encryption also requires a console on boot to enter the password, which both provide. Both of these over Xen-PV and Xen-PV over OpenVZ for the private volume, so your files are not available on the Dom0 without some work. As per cost, assuming similar specs, I would likely pay about the same for XEN-HVM and KVM with regular drives, if SSD would likely prefer KVM for the virtio drivers.

• Xen generally, as its easy to reinstall from images.

KVM if I need something different.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

I'm going to be different and say KVM..especially a LoveVPS KVM.

• edited February 2013

Nobody heard of KVM Templates? It's exactly the same as setting up a Xen VPS.
    (then again KVM ISO installation gives you much more control over what and how you're installing :)

• @George_Fusioned said: Nobody heard of KVM Templates? It's exactly the same as setting up a Xen VPS.

I tried it, but after installing, I can't determine what root password was made.

• @George_Fusioned said: (then again KVM ISO installation gives you much more control over what and how you're installing :)

Yes KVM if I need control. But if I only need something generic, like most of the time, Xen is fine and convenient.

• @jcaleb said: I tried it, but after installing, I can't determine what root password was made.

SolusVM generates a random root password when you issue a Re-install using a KVM Template:

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

As a Xen provider and having used all of them I would say Xen PV, it is fast in every regard and has much lower overhead on the host node than KVM or HVM.

But it really depends what you want it for, I also have KVM VPS's for when I need something different.

I suspect with the direction everything is going in KVM will take over within 12 - 18 months though.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@AnthonySmith said: I suspect with the direction everything is going in GetKVM will take over within 12 - 18 months though.

:P

LOL

I suspect the time is right for me to start rolling KVM and then I will Get GetKVM

• I suspect the time is right for me to start rolling KVM and then I will Get GetKVM

Haha im just playing :)

Then take over the world (in my mind) then move all customers to some f'k'd up random location on a different virt type..... oh wait, I did not take over the world I just made everything very slow.

mwahaha
    MWAhahahahah
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Probably Xen, as there's no need to install the OS yourself.

• @George_Fusioned said: SolusVM generates a random root password when you issue a Re-install using a KVM Template:

Thanks for the info

• @AnthonySmith said: Then take over the world (in my mind) then move all customers to some f'k'd up random location on a different virt type..... oh wait, I did not take over the world I just made everything very slow.

mwahaha
    MWAhahahahah
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Low blow!

MWHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@George_Fusioned said: Nobody heard of KVM Templates? It's exactly the same as setting up a Xen VPS.

Of course we did, but that's not "hardcore" enough for LET forum appearance. People need to justify usually higher price with KVM and set up initial stuff manually. It works great for all, host who earn more money with this popular virtualization and client because feeling of control ;-)

P.S. I am actually impressed how many people here (still) like Xen more than popular KVM :)