Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mKS 2G - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mKS 2G

Comments

• @Infinity Controlled assessments are the biggest scam going, everyone sits them in diffident conditions. This even varies class to class in the same school.... EAL students also get more help then they should in my opinion as they otherwise would fail. My self at GCSE got A/A* in most science and history assessments :P

• @Infinity I'm undecided between college and Sixth form, legally I can work now with my National Insurance Number, and there is a office complex near me with IT Companies, I've not even been asked by connexions yet, who pick out positions for you.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@Taylor said: @Infinity Controlled assessments are the biggest scam going, everyone sits them in diffident conditions. This even varies class to class in the same school....

Exactly, most schools cheat as much as they can with it to get good grades which will bring up averages for their school anyway. So we're at a disadvantage at our schools where we don't cheat. And then at the grammar schools and such they don't cheat much, at least my brother couldn't.

My teachers are just extra, it's not like AQA or Edexcel are going to come in and check, they can really give extra time etc., pretty sure most other schools do that. It's also just as easy to cheat as it is to fake stuff on controlled assessments, for example in my Core Science ISA, my teacher really hated me and the exam for it was really easy and it was center assessed and I know I pretty much got at least 90% and I ended up with a C. Obviously that teacher did something.. it's a really flawed system.

@Jacob said: @Infinity I'm undecided between college and Sixth form, legally I can work now with my National Insurance Number, and there is a office complex near me with IT Companies, I've not even been asked by connexions yet, who pick out positions for you.

If you're serious about studying etc., go to sixth form. I want to get into university, so sixth form will suit me best, but it really depends what you want to do. If I don't get into sixth form I will just get a job.. (can't legally just yet though, need to be 16)

• @Jacob Don't put your faith in connections, you may have 1 or 2 "meetings" with them they have a lot of students to help... Just go to plenty of open days and make the choice for your self.

• @Jack not sure.

@Taylor Yeah, that's why I have not bothered chasing them up. I'll probably give in my sixth form app and enter into some colleges, which i have 2 - 3 in mind that are near me.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2013

@taronyu said: Is the i/o really that good? Last time I bought a 2G from OVH it felt slow.

Every Kimsufi Atom server that I have ever ordered had a new (or less than 3 month) HDDs. All of which pull 130 MB/s+ in DD.

Sometimes you can be unlucky though and get a crappy one. All a gamble. If you get a junk one, then cancel and reorder and you may get a better one.

• @jhadley said: Just ordered an mKS 2G and a little disappointed that I seem to be the only person who didn't get the N2800 (I got an Atom 230)

Not the only one. I got the celeron recently too.

• @jhadley what happened to http://virt.io?

• jhjh Member

Moved to www.sysadmin.co.uk

• @jhadley I have one with a N2800. You even got to 'play around' with it for a little when I hired you to move my server, remember? (Although that failed and I ended up with no money nor a working website).

DD is around 140MB/s. Never had any issues with them, although I don't have any need for it anymore in the near future @ElliotJ, as I am rebuilding my complete website onto a new server.

• you guys know if kimsufi.ie need goverment ID? or just mail with your current address enough?

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited February 2013

@Shigawire said: I am just not sure if I should keep it or get a cheap Hetzner one..

@earl said: you guys know if kimsufi.ie need goverment ID? or just mail with your current address enough?

photo id, not necessarily government. I got by with school id and bank statement.

• @Rallias said: photo id, not necessarily government. I got by with school id and bank statement.

I used my driver's license with most things blurred out and a snail mail utility bill.

• @Rallias @herbyscrub

So they need photo ID? can you blur out the picture?

• @earl said: So they need photo ID? can you blur out the picture?

I bet they have enough support people that you can keep trying until someone lets you get away with it.

• Are you that ugly?

• @taronyu said: Are you that ugly?

Well I don' think my mug shot will make them choke on their morning cup of coffee if that's what your asking..

Just don't want to be the next feature in a meme generator if you know what I mean! those french have a weird sense of humor!!

• I wonder why companies don't use a third party, i.e. http://jumio.com to perform the ID verification for them.

• I think it depends on your country. When I first signed up to OVH I didn't need to send ID any my server was set up in a few minutes. My friend from another country cannot sign up without ID. Now, when I signed up for their VOIP service, they would not activate it until I sent them ID.
    They are really not that bad as a provider, IMO. I don't know if it still happens on their new product line but when they had the old Kimsufi servers, you could sign up to the top server and often get one of the OVH servers instead with an upgraded CPU and faster connection.

• @superpilesos said: I think it depends on your country. When I first signed up to OVH I didn't need to send ID

Well I got the invoice I guess I could have just paid and maybe they would deliver the server without them asking for my ID, but I'm contacting them to remove the VAT cause I'm not in the EU..

I also thought you could pay with PayPal but I don't see that as an option

• they usually need ID if you are not from the eu. I had three different account with over ten servers with them and I was never asked for ID

• Wow these guys sure take their time replying to email..

• earlearl Member

about 24hrs that I emailed OVH.ie and still no response! is this normal?

• @earl said: about 24hrs that I emailed OVH.ie and still no response! is this normal?

Yes it is. Then they're going to ask some dumb question that requires a reply and then it's more waiting.

• earlearl Member

@herbyscrub

Wow, this is really silly! I guess they don't work weekends too!

• blackblack Member

They're french, earl.

• earlearl Member

@black said: They're french, earl.

Haha.. Yup they sure is!

• about 24hrs that I emailed OVH.ie and still no response! is this normal?

24 hours for a response to a billing question would not be normal. 72 hours is normal for OVH.ie.

• earlearl Member

@DomainBop said: 72 hours is normal for OVH.ie.

It's looking that way.

Really I've never had a LEB that was this bad with support! Wondering if I just pay the invoice will they setup my server without asking for ID?

I just don't want to pat VAT.. but if it's this much hassle, I'm thinking just pay the bill!

• To give you some idea, I had a network routing issue, 80% of people could not connect to my IPs, it took >1wk to resolve. The support only replied to my ticket once a day and asked stupid questions instead of passing it on to a network tech.