Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mKS 2G
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mKS 2G

jhjh Member
edited February 2013 in General

Anyone who has an mKS 2G, what processor and disk speed have you got?

Comments

• jhjh Member

Forgot about that. Thanks Asad.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

server used for backups only...

Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800 @ 1.86GHz

ioping -c 10 /tmp
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=1 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=2 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=3 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=4 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=5 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=6 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=7 time=17.9 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=8 time=55.0 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=9 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=10 time=0.1 ms

--- /tmp (ext4 /dev/root) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9074.9 ms, 135 iops, 0.5 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/7.4/55.0/16.7 ms

ioping -c 10 /tmp
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=7 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=8 time=0.1 ms

10 requests completed in 9002.2 ms, 7764 iops, 30.3 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/0.1/0.1/0.0 ms

ioping -c 10 /tmp
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=7 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from /tmp (ext4 /dev/root): request=8 time=0.1 ms

10 requests completed in 9002.2 ms, 7911 iops, 30.9 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/0.1/0.1/0.0 ms

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.28091 s, 116 MB/s

edit: test #1 iops 135, test #2 iops 7764. Flipping a coin gives more consistent results than ioping :P

• Disk/network results actually surprise me, not sure as to why OVH/KIMSUFI get slagged of a lot around here.

• I have pretty much what @DomainBop has. In France, if that matters

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: Disk/network results actually surprise me, not sure as to why OVH/KIMSUFI get slagged of a lot around here.

When stuff are cheap, people tend to criticize it more.

• @Ishaq said: When stuff are cheap, people tend to criticize it more.

Weird that isn't it haha

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"not sure as to why OVH/KIMSUFI get slagged of a lot around here."

They're great if the only websites you host on their servers are your own company's sites.

They get slagged around here because they have a "3-strikes and you're out" policy towards abuse and if you have 50 nodes with them and they receive an abuse report for one of your nodes they won't hesitate to shut down all of your nodes and terminate your contract. OVH has been the death of many VPS and shared hosting providers.

• jhjh Member

So the general consensus is they're ok for your own site? Just thinking, with 1 hour setup if it goes wrong I can just order another and restore from backup quickly with R1soft, and save £40/month instantly,

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

why OVH/KIMSUFI get slagged of a lot around here.

At $13/mo the mKS2G easily "eats the lunch" of many VPS providers which try to offer plans on the expensive side closer to LEB's $7. After all, pay just $6 more, and get a dedicated server, with no one else but you using it (so the performance is consistent), a whopping 500 GB of disk space all to yourself, not to mention 5TB of bandwidth. And the Atom N2800 that you commonly get is more than enough for absolute majority of websites that you would ever host on a LEB. (Now cancel most of your LEBs, and you've actually saved money).
    Sooooo, I suppose those providers seem to find no other recourse than try to deride this for some superficial reasons or spread FUD about quality/stability/etc, because at the face value they just can't compete. :)

• @Jack said: french tech team that don't know anything

You don't need them though. You can do everything from the control panel yourself. Unless you don't know what you are doing and if that is the case unmanaged is not for you.

If you need a simple server Kimsufi rocks, you can't beat it for the price. I would not host anything critical on it but for learning, playing, small websites, etcetc you just can't beat it.

• @Jack said: When my server is down I expect to know why.

I have never had downtime with my KS boxes. Maybe I am lucky I don't know. For the price I sure as hell can't complain.

For example this server:

luma@ks3558XX:~$ uptime
    19:03:40 up 378 days, 11:58, 4 users, load average: 0.18, 0.32, 0.37
    luma@ks3558XX:~$

• Server downtime is really rare, never had it on our 7 nodes. However we had several network outakes where the server isn't reachable for 5 ~ 30 minutes but is comming afterwards.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack unless you're mentally retarded, I'm pretty sure you can differentiate Hardware failures from Network.

OVH downtime is rare, and it's almost impossible (if possible) to compare their prices with another provider.

• jhjh Member

Being 1/2 French I'm not bothered about French support or actually the Franglais on their website, and actually one of my friends has an awful lot of servers with OVH and has spoken to them on the phone and said they were quite helpful :)

• @jhadley said: Being 1/2 French I'm not bothered about French support or actually the Franglais on their website, and actually one of my friends has an awful lot of servers with OVH and has spoken to them on the phone and said they were quite helpful :)

People are expecting to much. I know everybody kept telling me Hetzner support was slow and horrible. I always got an answer within 2 hours. They keep it strict unmanaged but I can understand it with so many customers.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@jhadley You're 1/2 french? I don't speak fluent, but I got a B in speaking, which is 20% towards my Final GCSE.

French is a dead language though, mandarin is the future.

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2013

@Jacob - yes I am bilingual English/French - full marks and GCSE and A level AND I was a PITA to the teachers ;)

Just ordered an mKS 2G and a little disappointed that I seem to be the only person who didn't get the N2800 (I got an Atom 230)

• I also got the n2800. HDD speed is good with 148mb/s.

I am just not sure if I should keep it or get a cheap Hetzner one..

• If anyone here has an unneeded mKS 2G with a N2800, let me know!

I'm happy to 'compensate' your luck if you're willing to transfer it over to my account :)

• Well.. I would not mind making you happy :D
    I'd just need an alternative then.

Any comparable server < 20€ around Germany/Mid-Europe?

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2013

Thinking about buying another to get the n2800... There has to be a 50/50 chance.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@Jacob said: @jhadley You're 1/2 french? I don't speak fluent, but I got a B in speaking, which is 20% towards my Final GCSE.

Anyone can do that, second languages are so easy. It's so easy to cheat in controlled assessments like the speaking and reading and all that. Not that I take French but I hear what goes on there.. the teacher helps them out a bit too much. If only we had that for English.

/derail

• jhjh Member

Meh I went to a private school and know I wouldn't have got all the a*s I did if the teachers weren't paid to cheat

edited February 2013

@jhadley said: Meh I went to a private school and know I wouldn't have got all the a*s I did if the teachers weren't paid to cheat

Lucky, I go to a private school, can't wait to get out. It's terrible, I've ranted enough here about it, it's not a proper private school per se. Just a money machine, get money, pocket it and forget about the students. Hire crap teachers, who have no clue what they are doing, the MFL (mother f****** languages/modern foreign languages) teacher is like one of the only decentish teachers.

The teachers can't even be asked to help us learn in lessons or even direct us on what to do, let alone help us cheat in controlled assessments.

• jhjh Member

Ah, unlucky. The vast majority of my teachers were excellent, and certainly much better than those at the state school I transferred from.

• Posh people... eh. :)

@Jacob said: Posh people... eh. :)

Psst.. I'm moving to a state sixth form. Done most of the application forms etc., got one place already, just need a few more places/interviews. :)

• Is the i/o really that good? Last time I bought a 2G from OVH it felt slow.

• jhjh Member

Just ran a dd on mine and it was around the 140 mark