Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Windows AntiVirus - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Windows AntiVirus

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ftpit said: Simple .Leave micro$oft and start using linux desktop distros

Impossible. Judging by every response I've ever gotten by suggesting someone switch from Windows, every Windows user is a hardcore gamer or a their income depends on CAD.

"but but but my games!"

• Most important: Disable your java browser plugin (possible in Firefox and Chrome, not in IE)

Running GData InternetSecurity

• @murky said: Pardon me, but I believe this "Ubuntu" software is actually malicious. It removes your ability to play any decent game on your PC. :(

Steam is now on Linux: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I use Deep Freezer, I don't save anything on my personal PC.

For other usage I use my laptop.

Deep Freezer = Your save changes will lost on shutdown or reboot.

• @n0my said: Steam is now on Linux

I said decent.

• Source games are decent for me...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Stop using gaming as the reason to keep Windows. We all know you have other things to do, there's no way everyone here is a professional gamer :P

Grow up and buy an xbox.

/troll

• I personally find this as the best solution:

Other than that: Sophos, Eset NOD23, or MSE

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@imagine said: I personally find this as the best solution:

Indeed, but it does not always work, especially on shared PCs.

• "Best Windows AntiVirus

rm -rf /crap-os-partition

apt-get install anylinuxdistro-or-pcbsd

• I use Avast as I personally don't mind the popups as it is one of the best free AVs out there for protection.

• @jarland

The only reason I keep windows on my main machine is for a few games. My laptop is Linux only now. I mostly now play only league of legends which works in wine.. FPS takes a massive hit though.

• English version? Is it free?

• @24khost said: @murky - it really stops you from doing anything but working.

That's actually the best, most genius reason to install ubuntu right now.
    I'll install it right now!

• I use Vipre. I didn't see it mentioned, but it's pretty good. The internet security version is much better because it has a firewall. Also, unlimited computers!

• @jarland said: Short of replacing computers with pencils, that is.

I'm sure they will figure out a way of passing off vulnerabilities by graphite one day

• For security, I always recommend (and use) the following combination: ESET NOD32 Antivirus (v4, yes I know it's not the latest version, but it gets the heuristic database updates just fine :P), Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM), and COMODO Firewall. I neither recommend nor use the ESET NOD32 Firewall nor the COMODO Antivirus because they sucked the last time I checked.

I believe that for acute use, you can get a free 30-day trial serial number for NOD32 and they also have an online scanner.

• MBAM has a free version that is the same as the paid version, except that it does not have the realtime scanner.
    • COMODO Firewall is freeware.

Almost everything I know about computers has been self-taught. I used to manage a physical network of a couple hundred PCs years ago and have been doing IT work on the side for years. Of course, my real job has absolutely nothing to do with IT lol.

• gnrsugnrsu Member

i suggest two antivirus freeware to you :

Avast; Avira

• blackblack Member

Microsoft security essentials

• RamiRami Member

bitdefender & ESET NOD32

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

Way to reopen an old thread with suggestions that have been regurgitated constantly throughout the thread .. not trying to be mean but come on! :)
    Anyway, EMET, while not an AV is a good preventative tool:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-emet.html

• tried everything from free to paid and was stuck with nod32 for a couple years because reviews said it was supposedly to be the most comphrehensive av solution, up until i got infected and my pc became a bot for an irc ddos server. Nod32 didnt detect a thing so i paid for kaspersky internet security and the first time i scanned my pc with it i got all the shits there werent detected by norton,nod32 and tge rest of the freebies junk av. Ive since paid every year for kaspersky internet security and its onky like 50 dollars for 3 license.

true story.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Kaspersky protects really well but it causes slowdowns and is really annoying with the out of the box settings. Got a year free for 3 PCs when I bought my laptop at Best Buy that's why I use it.

• @shovenose: yeah kaspersky is really good. dont get the av version but kaspersky internet security as it has built in firewall thats easy to use and easilly blocks outgoing data from pc without the hassle of complicated settings like alot of commercial firewall. Just slap a ssd +malwarebytes with it and youre fine.

• VMVPSVMVPS Member

I am now using Avira premium. It is light weight and performs perfect so far.

• Regedit, Regsvr32, and some chocolate chips, stir and bake..

• Not even using one right now. Never seen the need recently. Everything I download is from reliable sources, and I never tend to browse places i shouldn't but chrome helps :-)

• @black said: Microsoft security essentials

^^ This