Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Windows AntiVirus - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Windows AntiVirus

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Just find the exe, boot with linux cd (like puppy) and delete the file. Almost always they are in %temp% of %appdata%

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Man I wish we were still in the days where you could just delete the exe ;)

Sometimes it's easier to reinstall windows. They're getting smarter.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I have made that @jarland , it stores itself in %appdata% or %temp%, i dont really remember. it is just 1 exe. sounds stupid, but it is. just boot with a live cd and delete ;)

• @Maounique said: Avira is better but has annoying pop-ups for the free personal version.

You can hide them... :P

• SunshineSunshine Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: Well, even the best among us can get caught in an unknown vulnerability caught by a seemingly legitimate imbed on a reputable website.

Yeah thats a good point though. Even with noscript and with java disabled, I could run into that scenario.

Alright, thats it. Starting from tomorrow, I'll be browsing from a VM instead. But then I'll probably just get annoyed by the not-so-easy tabbing between programs. Then I'll abandon that idea... again ;)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited February 2013

kaspersky, its Russian I think. Could be the nginx of antivirus?

• NOD32 Antivirus.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

ESET NOD32, been using it for around 5 years now, been pretty good and scans usb devices on the fly (without asking it to) so any virus found gets quarantined :-)

• As others have mentioned, I suggest running MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) on all new Windows systems.

• murkymurky Member
    edited February 2013

I previously used MSE, but it got in my way quite a bit. I now use Malwarebytes, and I have to say, it's pretty good. It updates the database silently, has run-time protection, and also blocks in/outgoing connections to malicious IPs. It blocks a false positive every now and then, but it's only 2 clicks to add an exception.

Malwarebytes is one of few paid software I've actually purchased instead of pirating. It's worth it.

• In my brother pc i have MSE and free malwabytes installed. I use Linux ; )

• Hmm... no one using webroot?

• first of all spybot, malwarebytes, adaware are not antivirus.

If your willing to pay for anti-virus: +1 kaspersky
    Free is kinda a hodge podge I use a couple different ones, for people who want to know they have virus protection running and don't like microsoft I use Avast free.
    If they aren't, nod32 is awesome but not easy enough fro grandpa and grandma.

• I'm using Avast, since i use it i never had a virus anyway

• Real men use brute force against viruses :D

• i think MSE (microsoft security essentials) like others use

• so, you will be secure if you install, MSE, Avira, NOD, Kapersky, and also add a condom in the ethernet cable.

• Panda Security

• Ubuntu

• Avira (free) was great until it started doing all those things trying to trick me into installing Ask toolbar.

• Forticlient from fortigate.com

• @mpkossen said: Ubuntu

Debian :P

• I use this awesome Antivirus known as "Ubuntu", its also free. After installing it on my Windows PC, it instantly became 2-3 times faster and I have not had any virus issues since.

• @KMyers said: I use this awesome Antivirus known as "Ubuntu", its also free. After installing it on my Windows PC, it instantly became 2-3 times faster and I have not had any virus issues since.

Pardon me, but I believe this "Ubuntu" software is actually malicious. It removes your ability to play any decent game on your PC. :(

• Installing Linux and learning to LOVE it :-D

• @murky - it really stops you from doing anything but working.

• for me is ESSET NOD32 I can install it on Win & Linux, but is always pointless to get linux AV, because most of the time it catch windows virus.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

AVG free version for my windows. Its amazing, and free. For ubuntu, well, nothing <3!

• Simple .Leave micro$oft and start using linux desktop distros