Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Expiring Credit - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Expiring Credit

Comments

• @mpkossen said: The credits were not FREE. I had to pay in order to utilize the credits.

Very good point!

• MunMun Member

@aglodek said:

Same with mine, I had to pay to activate my account to even use my account. Which is why I state my credit isn't free.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2016

mpkossen said: I had to pay in order to utilize the credits.

Your paid credit is not expiring. I think at some point everyone would reasonably think that their credit is going to disappear if unused. I mean be it 20 years, 50 years, what is the cutoff? What is the point that it's appropriate? Certainly a number exists, but certainly there is no answer to that question that will not anger some people.

Not every decision is popular, and I encourage you to open a ticket and share your feedback. LET will not be fed into any kind of metrics for customer feedback so make sure that, if you actually care, you are expressing your feedback in a way that myself and others can count, tag, and share in actual numbers.

If this is just about complaining in public for love of conflict, that's fine and go ahead and air it. I'm not knocking that, but I am saying that it doesn't help me share your feedback effectively. If it's about impacting change, I urge you to give me a ticket that I can use.

If you can't tell, I'm exhausted. It's consumed the past 24+ hours for me. It's emotionally exhausting to be the recipient of people's anger, but I'm happy to take the feedback.

• MunMun Member

@jarland out of curiosity could an account be evaluated and the credits, possibly?

Mun said: out of curiosity could an account be evaluated and the credits, possibly?

In what context do you mean evaluated?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jarland said: Your paid credit is not expiring. I think at some point everyone would reasonably think that their credit is going to disappear if unused. I mean be it 20 years, 50 years, what is the cutoff? What is the point that it's appropriate?

I think the point is that 'free' credit that you have to deposit credit to use isn't truly free, and therefore it (seems to me at least) reasonable to believe that it wouldn't expire as you have effectively paid money to activate it.

It's a bit like a having a buy one, get two free deal, them someone comes along and takes the two free items back because you hadn't used them quickly enough.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • MunMun Member

@jarland exactly what @nekki said. I was wondering if I could have my account evaluated from that basis and keep the credit.

Nekki said: takes the two free items back because you hadn't used them quickly enough.

If the item you received free in a "buy one get one free" type of sale was held under the counter at the register from the retailer you purchased it at, I might expect it to go missing after you left it there for 3 years without picking it up.

@Mun said:
    jarland exactly what nekki said. I was wondering if I could have my account evaluated from that basis and keep the credit.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'd like to talk to you about it. Make sure to send it from the email address on your account. I have some observations/questions that I can't share here.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@jarland said:
    If the item you received free in a "buy one get one free" type of sale was held under the counter at the register from the retailer you purchased it at, I might expect it to go missing after you left it there for 3 years without picking it up.

That analogy though.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

jarland said: If the item you received free in a "buy one get one free" type of sale was held under the counter at the register from the retailer you purchased it at, I might expect it to go missing after you left it there for 3 years without picking it up.

I have seen better analogies in this thread to be honest... ;-)

• MunMun Member
    edited April 2016

@jarland said:

This item isn't taking up counter space, or creating a cost on digital ocean to hold. This is simply a credit that is in my account that I had to pay for to activate. I don't see how that is considered a "free" credit. In the end, that is of course digital ocean's choice, and it is also my choice to create a thread and push people to use the credits before it is up. I for one am going to spend a few hours and get some usage out of it.

Fine, let me email you.

edited April 2016

@Amitz said:
    I have seen better analogies in this thread to be honest... ;-)

I haven't.

I'm just done here though. You guys have at it. I'm aware that many people here could argue with a brick wall for 48 hours, but I've just got other things to do. You know where to find me if you need me :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

jarland said: I haven't.

That's the Everclear. ;-)

Don't get me wrong - I don't care whether I loose the USD 5 that I paid to activate the USD 10 that I received for free. I still have USD 15 in my account because DO is not the right fit for me (plan wise) and I will not really miss the pocket money.

Amitz said: That's the Everclear. ;-)

That's illegal in New York ;)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jarland said: If the item you received free in a "buy one get one free" type of sale was held under the counter at the register from the retailer you purchased it at, I might expect it to go missing after you left it there for 3 years without picking it up.

That's a shocking analogy quite frankly. Would you like another go?

• AmitzAmitz Member

jarland said: That's illegal in New York ;)

Then it's the lack of Everclear! ;-)

edited April 2016

@Nekki said:
    That's a shocking analogy quite frankly. Would you like another go?

You compared it to a physical item so I did the same. It's an excellent analogy in the context of a response to your analogy. You're removing that factor from it and taking it as a standalone analogy of the situation and that's not a fair perspective as it ignores the context.

That's it though, that's the end. You know where to open a ticket :)

• IshaqIshaq Member

jarland said: You know where to find me if you need me :)

The jar cupboard? :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

jarland said: You know where to find me if you need me :)

The men's restroom, last cabinet on the left, like every Friday? Mmmh. Yummy. Wait, me and the other leather cap wearers are coming over! :-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • PandyPandy Member

Just checked mine, and i activated it on november, so im fine for now i guess.

Ive definetly liked them, its easy and quick to spin up a server to test and/or see that everything is fine. Ive def done it multiple times.

Problem is, i havent had any real project to run on it, so due to hourly billing (which is awesome btw) i havent been able to burn alot of the credits (Still over 45$ left) so ive still got that going for me

im assuming the email was one of those "Updating Tos" emails, which i completely skipped (assuming so did alot of others too), a bit more directed email about it maybe next time? (Or couple of months extratime to let people know about the change, im sure 'alot' of people didnt read the updated ToS when it was emailed :p)

Also, wasnt the offer 100$ credits at start? i swear i remember it being that, but i was too late to use mine :p

Thanked by 1jar

Pandy said: Problem is, i havent had any real project to run on it, so due to hourly billing (which is awesome btw) i havent been able to burn alot of the credits (Still over 45$ left) so ive still got that going for me

That's absolutely great and I hope you come talk to me when that gets close to running out. I'm just being completely honest when I say that there are two situations that I look at very differently:

"I'm legitimately using the platform and haven't burned through my credits."
    "I've never used the service and I've sat on this credit for 3+ years with no intention or desire to use the product."

I wanna have more conversations, privately, with people in that second camp. I want to understand their needs, their reasons. Is it an emotional attachment? A sense of principle? Great, I'm not knocking those things... but I would love to understand them better.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

jarland said: there are two situations that I look at very differently:

"I'm legitimately using the platform and haven't burned through my credits."

"I've never used the service and I've sat on this credit for 3+ years with no intention or desire to use the product."

I absolutely agree. It would be great if at least the first group of people could keep their credit. Would be fair.

Thanked by 1jar
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited April 2016

@jarland said: Your paid credit is not expiring. I think at some point everyone would reasonably think that their credit is going to disappear if unused. I mean be it 20 years, 50 years, what is the cutoff? What is the point that it's appropriate? Certainly a number exists, but certainly there is no answer to that question that will not anger some people.

Actually, you are wrong: said paid credit is "expiring", too… as in will never be used…

Upon reflection, I believe this is the plan here… to, well, convert all those dormant clients into $$$, as opposed to either:

• grandfathering preexisting free credit,

or

• expiring free credit, but at the same time offering to refund clients any unused funds (usually $5), added to each account in order to activate said free credit.

As things stand, upon expiring the free credit, the remaining $5 is pretty useless unless the customer funds the account with more money, which almost all dormant clients will not. They will ignore this bruhaha altogether or write this small amount off, while in the aggregate, DO makes a sizeable profit… I figure hundreds of thousands $$$… Well done! I'm officially impressed. Goodwill, heck, investors and cash in the bank is king! ;)

edited April 2016

aglodek said: I believe the plan here was to, well, blatantly profit off all those dormant clients

I have no idea what kind of shady bookkeeping one would have to do in order to show increase profits based on $5 deposits on unused accounts from 1+ year(s) ago. That's not even logical. If they're using our service, their credit should not be expiring.

If they're an exception and actually using our service and find this unacceptable while still having credit to burn, please do exactly what the email tells you to do and open a ticket. You have a whole month to do it, by all means take your time. It's really not that complicated.

aglodek said: Actually, you are wrong: said paid credit is "expiring", too… as in will never be used

No one ever said that. The opposite has been stated across the board. Will they use it? Probably not, since they haven't for years, but that's not really my fault is it?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jarland said: You compared it to a physical item so I did the same. It's an excellent analogy in the context of a response to your analogy. You're removing that factor from it and taking it as a standalone analogy of the situation and that's not a fair perspective as it ignores the context.

That's it though, that's the end. You know where to open a ticket :)

I never actually mentioned physical items, and to be honest my analogy could easily be applied to digital items. If I take advantage of a digital buy one get one free (say video games), and I never download one of the items, should I loose the ability to download it after a period of time?

Just so you know, I have no vested interest in this, I have no credit with DO.

• IshaqIshaq Member

jarland said: Is it an emotional attachment?

LowEndCounselling? ;)

Thanked by 2jar aglodek

Going to go ahead and declare that the rest of this thread will be this:

As everyone has expressed their opinions, and most likely will continue to do so over and over again.

• MunMun Member

Admins of LET you can prune out posts (if you so choose) that aren't on the basis of finding creative and ethical solutions on how to use up your DO credit. That was the purpose of the thread.

If you are a person who wishes to complain about whether or not DO is running a shady business then please take it to the cesspit (cest pit).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    Going to go ahead and declare that the rest of this thread will be this:

As everyone has expressed their opinions, and most likely will continue to do so over and over again.

Hey man leave the horses out of this one.

Fran

Thanked by 2jar TheLonely