Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Expiring Credit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Expiring Credit

Comments

• @Junkless said:
    Hostus? Dediserve?

hudson valley host, they have buffalo location, although that dc is colocrossing..

• @david_W said:

I meant for Singapore location.

• @Junkless said:

Oh, Hostus is on the list already ;)

• So this is not a 1.April joke? I will loose $100 on 1.May, was sure it was a 1.April joke.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

Gift is gift. Taking it back is stealing. Scammers! I will chargeback and write bad reviews on toilet walls! That's what you get for f*cking with the Amitz. Word.

Now I am waiting for online.net to request their stickers and shirt stuff back.

• MunMun Member

@Amitz said:
    Gift is gift. Taking it back is stealing. Scammers! I will chargeback and write bad reviews on toilet walls! That's what you get for f*cking with the Amitz. Word.

Now I am waiting for online.net to request their stickers and shirt stuff back.

I think I have found what I am going to do with my DO servers. I am going to host @nekki port for @amitz.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Mun said: I think I have found what I am going to do with my DO servers. I am going to host @nekki port for @amitz.

I am not responsible for that avatar. @raindog308's brother was it.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amitz said: I am not responsible for that avatar.

...but you don't repudiate it, either, do you...

• AmitzAmitz Member

raindog308 said: ...but you don't repudiate it, either, do you...

How could one repudiate something that is coming from you, sweetheart?

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited April 2016

@grimsdottir said: Just to be clear.... this isn't referral credit right? Seems like this credit is from older DigitalOcean accounts.

I haven't gotten any emails about my referral credits expiring... They better not take that away from me.

No, referral credits on referrer side are not expiring, but the referred client $10 free credit does expire.

EDIT: this said, who's to say they won't take that away next! ;)

Like I said one year ago when DO had first sent out notice about free credit expiration: this is reasonable and the new terms are still very generous. The key words here being "new terms". Older credit should have been grandfathered in, otherwise DO is sure to lose a lot of goodwill it had paid dearly to generate.

EDIT: pretty sure they could have used some creative accounting to solve the underlying problem rather than pissing people off with nothing to show for it. Judging by this latest attempt at damage control (i.e. free credit expiration extension), seems that DO has some appreciation of their incredible balls up. Not that this extension helps any. On the contrary, seems like another balls up in the PR department, is all.

Does anyone actually pay for DO?

I'd assumed everyone did the "get another .edu -> Github student pack -> run for another $50 worth" in continuous loop.

Thanked by 2zafouhar Francisco
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

raindog308 said: Does anyone actually pay for DO?

I'm actually paying for DO, since January 2015, only free credit I got from them was $5 for an email promotion. If I love a service, then I'll gladly pay for it, and DO deserves every penny I've ever paid them.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@HBAndrei said:
    I'm actually paying for DO, since January 2015, only free credit I got from them was $5 for an email promotion. If I love a service, then I'll gladly pay for it, and DO deserves every penny I've ever paid them.

<3

We'll keep working to earn it. Several things are in the pipeline right now that I think you'll really like.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited April 2016

@HBAndrei said: I'm actually paying for DO, since January 2015, only free credit I got from them was $5 for an email promotion. If I love a service, then I'll gladly pay for it, and DO deserves every penny I've ever paid them.

Same here. Except I had $50 worth of free credit to start with plus $25 referrer credit, and even though I've paid them well over $100 cash on top of that, I've always counted my $5 droplet in Singapore as costing a very competitive $2.50 long term. Pretty sure others did the same math. Not anymore.

Not saying that DO is not a great deal regardless, because it is… well, at least their smallest droplet offer, that is. This said, they seem to have lost steam in the innovation department. Nice to hear @jarland saying they have something in the pipeline :)

• @raindog308 said:
    Does anyone actually pay for DO?

I'd assumed everyone did the "get another .edu -> Github student pack -> run for another $50 worth" in continuous loop.

What are these mystical .edu accounts that you seem to have a limitless supply of?

edited April 2016

@Chronic said:
    What are these mystical .edu accounts that you seem to have a limitless supply of?

You can easily find them on fiverr, etc. It's trivial to get an edu.

Not sure why DO, etc doesn't block the big well-known edu domains that are most abused, but they don't.

BTW, not saying this is legit or endorsing the behavior - just that that Github Student Pack has been abused to hell and back.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • I have an account with $25 in it. Looks like I need to invest $to use it. I guess I will let this expire.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited April 2016

@aglodek said:
    No, referral credits on referrer side are not expiring, but the referred client $10 free credit does expire.

You are wrong, referral credit do also expire after 12 months:

Promotional Credit

5.8 As of March 6, 2015, redemption of promotional credit is limited to 12 months from the date of issue (unless otherwise stated), at which time the credit will expire. Upon redemption, promotional credit expires after 12 months unless otherwise defined in the terms of the promotion. For instances where promotional credit was issued or redeemed prior to March 6, 2015, that credit will expire on March 6, 2016.

5.9 Only one promotional code is permitted per customer, and may be redeemed only by “new users,” defined as users who are within 30 days of launching their first Droplet.

Referral Credit

5.10 Earned credit from making a referral is limited to 12 months from the date of issue (unless otherwise stated), at which time the credit will expire. All referral payouts will be paid in DigitalOcean credit.

5.11 Sign-up credit earned via referral will expire in accordance with the terms stated in section

5.12. Furthermore, such credit will be counted as the one promotional code permitted, in accordance with the terms stated in section 5.9.

• Regarding crypto currency miners: Back when Dogecoin started (around December 2014) I actually spun up a couple of DO VPSs and they were fine with it but didn't want me to run more than 5 miners at the same time:

[...]So, while we do not specifically prohibit cryptocurrency mining, we do restrict accounts doing so to prevent large-scale operations from affecting our infrastructure.

Therefore, at this time, we do not provide droplet limit increases to accounts currently engaging in this activity. This includes opening additional accounts for the purpose of mining.[...]

That policy might have changed though so you might want to check with their support (or Jarland)

Anyway it looks like about $25 of my promo credits are about to expire, no biggie since I've used a Droplet for free for over a year.

• @DreamCaster said: I have an account with $25 in it. Looks like I need to invest $to use it. I guess I will let this expire.

@jarland: does the one year free credit expiry count from the date of free credit allocation or activation (after client's first $5 payment)?

I ask this specifically regarding the $10 free credit for new clients referred to DO by referrers.

• I'm still hoping this is the worst April Fool's joke ever. Otherwise I'm just deeply disappointed at how little Digital Ocean seems to care about their customers.

This is not how you treat customers, period.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @mpkossen said:
    I'm still hoping this is the worst April Fool's joke ever. Otherwise I'm just deeply disappointed at how little Digital Ocean seems to care about their customers.

This is not how you treat customers, period.

Giving people 1 year to utilize FREE credit is treating customers poorly? Or are they expected to support people for the next 5 years who are just periodically using their trial credits?

• @mikeyur said: Giving people 1 year to utilize FREE credit is treating customers poorly?

With respect to old customers with preexisting credit - absolutely YES!

For new clients, post change of rules: these are very generous terms.

Or are they expected to support people for the next 5 years who are just periodically using their trial credits?

And exactly what kind of "support" are you referring to in such a case in point?

aglodek said: does the one year free credit expiry count from the date of free credit allocation or activation (after client's first $5 payment)?

It's the date that it was added to the account, so technically an account that was never activated can have credit that expires.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodek said: With respect to old customers with preexisting credit - absolutely YES!

There was 1 year of notice. I'm not sure you can call them 'customers' if they have free credits and never paid for the service.

aglodek said: And exactly what kind of "support" are you referring to in such a case in point?

The credit is a promotion to try the service out risk-free, not something to stack and periodically use. Free accounts cost them money, it's a loss leader to bringing on paying customers - not something you can periodically use or sign up for multiple accounts in order to get a completely free service.

If this offends you and you'll "no longer use DO" - I'm sure they're not upset to see you leave, you were never going to pay them you're just there to cost them money. 12 months to figure out if a service is worth paying for is more than reasonable.

Thanked by 2aglodek MacPac
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited April 2016

@mikeyur said:

Well, I'm an easy come, easy go kind of guy, really, so I'm not crying in my soup here. However, coming from a law education background, any retroactive laws or rules are anathema to me. Not logical + arbitrary + anarchistic == UNSTABLE + UNTRUSTWORTHY (generally speaking, of course, where == means "implies"). No telling what will come next… same thing with respect to reseller credit maybe? Why not? This is something to be avoided at all cost. But this is just me. Most other people, they just pissed, man! Which is another good reason to avoid such resolutions ;)

• @mikeyur said:
    Giving people 1 year to utilize FREE credit is treating customers poorly? Or are they expected to support people for the next 5 years who are just periodically using their trial credits?

The credits were not FREE. I had to pay in order to utilize the credits.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Can you please point me to which crypto currency miners you are using? if possible any instructions page? I am on the same boat.

@Mun said:
    As many know due the email that is being sent out, April will be the last month for many users credits. Even though I had to pay for my credit it now randomly "expires." Though I never agreed to this initially, it is now in place.

As such I have $50 to spend this month and I was curious on what creative methods people were using to spend up all the credits.

I was thinking of possibly spinning up 10 crypto-currency miners.

An endless spawning of a server image that downloaded a bunch of random torrents to waste bandwidth.

One really big minecraft for everyone in LET for a month.

What other things could I do with it?

• MunMun Member
    edited April 2016

@epinapala said:
    Can you please point me to which crypto currency miners you are using? if possible any instructions page? I am on the same boat.

From a quick google search: http://www.servermom.org/mine-doge-coins-digital-ocean-vps/1093/

Please note: I am not currently utilizing mine for cryptomining and it -may- break the TOS?

@jarland do you know if cryptomining is allowed. I know it used to be.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/primecoin-cloud-mining-using-digital-ocean-complete-guide/

Mun said: do you know if cryptomining is allowed. I know it used to be.

I advise against it because the CPU is shared. You do have better chances of not running into a problem by treating a CPU core as dedicated than many places, admittedly, but I would much prefer that you side with being courteous to your neighbors.