Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your DigitalOcean credit is expiring soon and FREE 9 of 2GB DO Droplets. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your DigitalOcean credit is expiring soon and FREE 9 of 2GB DO Droplets.

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@giang said:
    Most provider will put a small text if they have limits on credit, for example: VULTR got $50 USD credit valid for 6 months? They state the time limit because with $50 USD credit you can use on TEN months of their service on lowest package, same at DO, but you didn't state it.

I mean, that's definitely good feedback. I will take that feedback and run it by a few people.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited March 2016

jarland said: It's not reasonable to state all relevant policies up front in header text above each promotion.

It's not unreasonable for someone to sign up to the GitHub student pack which has one expiry date (end of study), and not expect that one of the component parts comes with a different one that's only stated in a TOS document. I'm sure it's not intended to be misleading but I can certainly see why some people would find it to be.

Thanked by 1jar

lbft said: I'm sure it's not intended to be misleading

Definitely not intended. So a good thing to take from the feedback here is that maybe these two pages should highlight it:

https://education.github.com/pack
    https://www.digitalocean.com/github-students

I don't think it's an unreasonable request, personally.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland said:
    We want you to develop, deploy, grow, and thrive :)

I develop on my local machine (and virtualbox VMs), test on DO, deploy on $12 a year LowEndOVZ because I'm too cheap to spend $60 a year.

And yes, I would second that feedback that DO should make it clear on the website (the clients' area or the github page) that the credits will expire on a certain day. This will allow customers to better utilize their credits and not "waste" any of them.

By the way, I never received a single email regarding my credits expiring, and if they expire, shouldn't I receive an email at least 30 days before they are gone?

Thanked by 1jar

TheOnlyDK said: By the way, I never received a single email regarding my credits expiring, and if they expire, shouldn't I receive an email at least 30 days before they are gone?

You would have received an email on March 06, 2015 updating you about the changes to our terms of service. We sent out one batch of emails about credits that will be expiring on May 01 and we will be sending out more. Do note that this is a courtesy notification, the real notification came one year ago as of March 06, and it received a reasonable amount of publicity here on LET as well.

• @jarland said:
    You would have received an email on March 06, 2015 updating you about the changes to our terms of service. We sent out one batch of emails about credits that will be expiring on May 01 and we will be sending out more. Do note that this is a courtesy notification, the real notification came one year ago as of March 06, and it received a reasonable amount of publicity here on LET as well.

I definitely did not receive an email a year ago (just checked my email history), but I did receive an email on March 19 regarding TOS changes, which I didn't read (uhh.. my bad..). Not sure what happened, the email is a hotmail address.

• I hope DO makes a distinction between paid credits and 'free' promo credits.

Never signed up for any DO trial yet.

I have $90 of Vultr credit from their launch double-up promo, and this makes me nervous about not using it.

TheOnlyDK said: did not receive an email ... the email is a hotmail address

Possibly related :P

vimalware said: I hope DO makes a distinction between paid credits and 'free' promo credits.

Definitely. That was an absolute requirement before addressing anything like this.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited March 2016

Hah, you peasants.

I get never-expiring free credit :P

• @Ishaq said:
    Hah, you peasants.

O_O

• @FredQc said:
    O_O

Talk nice about DO and credit just shows up, thanks @jarland!

• ehabehab Member

@Ishaq said:
    Hah, you peasants.

will we be seeing a new provider " Ishaq-vps "?

• IshaqIshaq Member

ehab said: will we be seeing a new provider " Ishaq-vps "?

Stay tuned!

• Not transferable at all I guess?

• ATHKATHK Member

@mikeyur said:

Naww you lucky duck! I feel left out now :(

• MunMun Member
    edited March 2016
    Thanked by 1jar