Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your DigitalOcean credit is expiring soon and FREE 9 of 2GB DO Droplets.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your DigitalOcean credit is expiring soon and FREE 9 of 2GB DO Droplets.

gianggiang Veteran
edited March 2016 in General

Just got an informative email about my old Digital Ocean credit is going to expire soon, they are very kind to give me till May 1st to use about $196 USD credit which should expire on March 6th.

I don't have any plan to use them so if anyone want a FREE 2GB (Cost $20 per month on DO, they can only let me create maximum 2GB droplet, grandfathered account so you will get unmetered bw) for a month, please let me know, I got about 9 of them.

Edit: I can only create ONE droplet and it already TAKEN, I still got $176 left till May 1st but I can't do anything than just let them expire...

Please use it legally, and please read the damn DO TOS, they can change it anytime and fk you up anytime too, even with things happened before they got it in their TOS.

You can PM me your location, OS to redeem the free 2GB CLOUD VPS.

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

Just be aware that you're liable for what any of these people do, as the account is in your name...

Thanked by 3jar GCat PandaRain
  • here comes the abusers and spammers.

• gianggiang Veteran

@ATHK said:
    Just be aware that you're liable for what any of these people do, as the account is in your name...

Yes, I know that. I see that people even create module for WHMCS to resell DO droplet?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@giang said:
    Yes, I know that. I see that people even create module for WHMCS to resell DO droplet?

I think you might be underestimating the kind of individuals who are going to jump at the chance to grab one free month of a VPS that they are not legally liable for. But... it's your account.

• I'll take one.

@Jarland how much mail do you figure the 2GB instances could push per hour?

• gianggiang Veteran

Haha, good news, they are now limit my account with ONE droplet, and limit me to create max 2GB droplet.

I got $176 USD left, and they are only allow me to use all of them till May 1st.

It's a hard math for me :(

Well played DO.

mikeyur said: how much mail do you figure the 2GB instances could push per hour?

Kill it with fire!

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • giang said: $196 USD credit

Holy crap, you did work on that referral link.

• @jarland Do all DO credits expire at a certain time? I still got some remaining, not sure if I need to start "wasting" them now.

@TheOnlyDK said:
    jarland Do all DO credits expire at a certain time? I still got some remaining, not sure if I need to start "wasting" them now.

As of March 6, 2015, redemption of promotional credit is limited to 12 months from the date of issue (unless otherwise stated), at which time the credit will expire. Upon redemption, promotional credit expires after 12 months unless otherwise defined in the terms of the promotion. For instances where promotional credit was issued or redeemed prior to March 6, 2015, that credit will expire on March 6, 2016.
  • @jarland said:

As of March 6, 2015, redemption of promotional credit is limited to 12 months from the date of issue (unless otherwise stated), at which time the credit will expire. Upon redemption, promotional credit expires after 12 months unless otherwise defined in the terms of the promotion. For instances where promotional credit was issued or redeemed prior to March 6, 2015, that credit will expire on March 6, 2016.

It's been more than a year since I redeemed my credits. The credits are still there and it's already March 30, 2016. Am I safe now?

edited March 2016

TheOnlyDK said: It's been more than a year since I redeemed my credits. The credits are still there and it's already March 30, 2016. Am I safe now?

You should have received an email today in such a case. We were not ready to take the action on the back end to remove the credits at the stated time, so everyone received an unannounced extension. If you added credit before March 06, 2015 it's expiration date would have been stated as March 06, 2016, but the actual removal will take place on May 01.

Edit: I've been corrected, not all were sent today.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • @jarland said:

So, am I safe? Or just for another few days?

edited March 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    So, am I safe? Or just for another few days?

You should expect May 01 expiration given the criteria. You should receive an email about it soon.

• oh awesome, no more love with DO..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

giang said: Edit: I can only create ONE droplet and it already TAKEN, I still got $176 left till May 1st but I can't do anything than just let them expire...

DO also has $160/month derplets, if it's expiring anyway then you might as well use that.

edited March 2016

@david_W said:
    oh awesome, no more love with DO..

Lots of love! Just no more promo credits sitting in unused accounts for years :P

Moral of the story: We want you to try the service and if you like it, use it. Promos aren't meant to be collectible items.

@rm_ said:
    DO also has $160/month derplets, if it's expiring anyway then you might as well use that.

There are certain circumstances in which a new or unused account might not be able to create droplets of that size right away.

• @rm_ said:

Not if you don't have a deposit history + card linked. He's capped to only create 2GB instances.

@jarland said:
    Moral of the story: We want you to try the service and if you like it, use it. Promos aren't meant to be collectible items.

Uggh. You mean I have to pay for it? Worst. I have one account that was loaded with cash + promo codes to $30. It's currently at $27 and change. I might have to keep an instance for longer than 24 hours.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarland said: Lots of love! Just no more promo credits sitting in unused accounts for years :P

I still have some credit left in my account, don't think will be able to use it up before the deadline... sigh...

Only running one $5 instant there as revered proxy, can't really use it fast enough.

Now I am concerning my Linode credit as well..

Thanked by 1jar
  • gianggiang Veteran

jarland said: Moral of the story: We want you to try the service and if you like it, use it. Promos aren't meant to be collectible items.

Sadly, you didn't say that on your github promotional page... even the new one: https://www.digitalocean.com/github-students/?utm_medium=partnerships&utm_source=github&utm_campaign=studentdevpack

david_W said: I still have some credit left in my account, don't think will be able to use it up before the deadline... sigh...

We kind of hoped everyone would have plenty of time to work that out. We sent out an email notification of this on March 06, 2015. That said, I understand it's easy to skip over those from time to time, or even worse if it lands in a spam folder. Feel free always to talk to me if you have any concerns. I never start out with the mindset of "I won't do this for a customer" but consider every situation for its own individual context and value.

Thanked by 1david_W
  • @jarland said:

Opinion on best US location? Least incidents, best network, etc? I'm considering SFO since it's closest, but I have a feeling that SFO is like 99% HE. NYC is fine. Toronto routes are about the same as NYC for me.

Also: what's the deal on bandwidth metering? Does the unmetered fair share "don't be a dick" policy still apply?

mikeyur said: Opinion on best US location? Least incidents, best network, etc? I'm considering SFO since it's closest, but I have a feeling that SFO is like 99% HE. NYC is fine. Toronto routes are about the same as NYC for me.

Upstream quality should be roughly equal in each location. Personally, I'm most fond of NYC2 and NYC3 for the US. Likely because the Texas/California rivalry seems to extend to internet latency as well.

mikeyur said: Also: what's the deal on bandwidth metering? Does the unmetered fair share "don't be a dick" policy still apply?

That's still the case. No charges for overages, no metering for the amount used. I would ask that if usage needs to be high and sustained, that it be spread out across multiple droplets to keep things sane :)

• @jarland said:
    I would ask that if usage needs to be high and sustained, that it be spread out across multiple droplets to keep things sane :)

Anyone have William's download test link again? ;)

I wouldn't put any sustained bandwidth usage on a $5/mo droplet - much less of a headache/less risky to just find an unmetered provider. Just curious if I use like 1001GB on the base plan if I'll get the boot or bumped to the next plan.

I've always liked DO, just haven't used it much in the last 18 months since I've picked up more dedis where I can spin up my own instances.

• @giang said:

> **Edit: I can only create ONE droplet and it already TAKEN, I still got $176 left till May 1st but I can't do anything than just let them expire...

You can message support and ask them to increase the limit. They replied really quickly for me.

• HybridHybrid Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland said:

Does it apply for github credits too?

edited March 2016

@hostnoob said:
    You can message support and ask them to increase the limit. They replied really quickly for me.

That might be a little more in-depth conversation in this case, given that we've all read this thread. I have some concerns about it.

Hybrid said: Does it apply for github credits too?

It does.

@giang said:
    Sadly, you didn't say that on your github promotional page... even the new one: https://www.digitalocean.com/github-students/?utm_medium=partnerships&utm_source=github&utm_campaign=studentdevpack

We did, actually:

By signing up, you agree to the Terms of Service

It's not reasonable to state all relevant policies up front in header text above each promotion. The policy has its own page. Anyone using the credit should not run into this particular policy. The problem arises when that credit is treated as a trading card to be placed on the shelf, something of collector's value to be traded in at a later date. Maybe that's what some people want to do, and I get that, but the goal was to get people to try our service.

• I use my DO box as intended, as a dev box. When I need it, I launch it, when I'm done, I destroy it. The credits last forever for my use and now I regret for depositing before I used up my free credits.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited March 2016

TheOnlyDK said: as intended, as a dev box

That's certainly a valid use but I wouldn't go as far as to say intended. We want you to develop great things, and then we want you to grow them. I've run across this perception a few times, that DO is the company you build on but not the one you deploy on. That's not really what we were trying to convey when marketing to developers. We want you to develop, deploy, grow, and thrive :)

We have customers of all sizes running high end, production applications on our infrastructure. We're working hard to improve functionality that aligns with production deployments (floating IP was a big step).

Thanked by 1VPSensational
  • gianggiang Veteran
    edited March 2016

jarland said: It's not reasonable to state all relevant policies up front in header text above each promotion. The policy has its own page. Anyone using the credit should not run into this particular policy. The problem arises when that credit is treated as a trading card to be placed on the shelf, something of collector's value to be traded in at a later date. Maybe that's what some people want to do, and I get that, but the goal was to get people to try our service.

Most provider will put a small text if they have limits on credit, for example: VULTR got $50 USD credit valid for 6 months 60 days? They state the time limit because with $50 USD credit you can use on TEN months of their service on lowest package, same at DO, but you didn't state it.

Thanked by 1jar