Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with DireVPS.com? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's wrong with DireVPS.com?

Comments

• MunMun Member
    edited February 2013

I was in dire need of a VPS, so I searched google and found DireVps.com, they seemed in such dire need of customers, and I was in such a dire need for a vps that I bought one of there dire plans. After getting up the vps I set forth my dire task of rebuilding my email server only to find that I would need reverse dns record, I instantly sent a dire email asking for a PTR record to be added, but I only got a dire request for money. I grudgingly payed there dire request for support funds, and I was finally and fully setup with my dire email service.

Such a dreary day, don't you say :P

• Alright guys. Thanks very much for the comments thus far. I'm going to end it here and come up with a list of the 20 best comments for a free VPS for a month.

I have concluded that it's probably best to leave DireVPS right where it is and simply launch another website. I have oodles of domains I purchased years ago.

• emgemg Veteran

Sean - Your website does not inspire confidence for potential customers. It isn't the honesty; it is the many points of confusion and sense of risk that the customer feels.

I agree with the others that the name is very poor. The website design is very poor. It does not highlight the key information and features in a way that makes them easy to find. It takes several readings to understand what is being offered.

The style of the answers in the FAQ give me the sense that I am dealing with immature people who are not serious about their product.

There is a sense that if I make a misstep anywhere, my service will be terminated. Since there is no support and emails are ignored, there is the feeling that my VPS may simply disappear on a whim - no appeal, no contact, no explanation, nothing.

What good are all those oversold resources if I can't use them?

I hope this helps. I think you may have a good idea, but the implementation is so poor, I wouldn't risk it.

• @emg kudos

• @sean said: I have concluded that it's probably best to leave DireVPS right where it is and simply launch another website.

This :)

• @sean said: best to leave DireVPS right where it is and simply launch another website.

If I were you I will just rebrand the website and drive the traffic to DireVPS to your new site instead of open another business line (or may be that is what you intend to do)? Since there are already so much SEO done on DireVPS (this thread is a example as well)

• @zhuanyi said: Since there are already so much SEO done on DireVPS (this thread is a example as well)

Not exactly positive SEO :P

• i dono who is srs and who is trollin/jokin/kiddin in tis thread.

But I believe that being honest is the best policy.

• @Amarielle said: Not exactly positive SEO :P

There is a saying that any SEO is good SEO :)

But you are right, it is up to Sean I guess, but when he relaunch another site selling VPS like this I'd be interested in getting on to do a HA set up

• As promised, I'll give away some of these VPS free for a month. Congratulations to the following users:

@emg
    @mun
    @jcaleb
    @earl
    @rzlosty
    @Infinity
    @Amarielle
    @tehdan
    @jarland
    @Maurice
    @texteditor
    @raindog308
    @zhuanyi
    @Makkesk8

If you would like to claim your VPS simply sign up and then PM me your account number and security phrase.

• Thanks Sean!

• What? I was just planning to buy one. Thanks sean!

• AmarielleAmarielle Member
    edited February 2013

Thanks, I look forward to testing it out - might even keep it too :)

PM sent.

• @sean how is DireVPS going? Are there lot of users already?

• Very interested to see the performance with these VPS's.

• bump!

anyone got their VPS yet? I have a little project I'd like to try out...

• @tehdan said: anyone got their VPS yet? I have a little project I'd like to try out...

I got... hm... two of them. Not using now, but what I can say is, they performs as good as other VPSes from OpenITC, and the node has only few containers on, so you see, you are using almost the whole node's IO/Net Port...

I'm considering to put some site on it to have a try. I think the only thing makes DireVPS looks worse than others is it's website(yes I mean the TOS).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I need to replace my UK StormVZ after their move to NL, so this might fit the bill.

@AstroProfundis said: Not using now, but what I can say is, they performs as good as other VPSes from OpenITC

Best recommendation possible, my other OpenITC boxes are among the most solid I've had.

• @Nekki said: I need to replace my UK StormVZ after their move to NL

Yes I'm thinking about this too, but I need to compare network/performance of the new NL location and DireVPS from my place first, so still a little too early to decide.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@AstroProfundis said: Yes I'm thinking about this too, but I need to compare network/performance of the new NL location and DireVPS from my place first, so still a little too early to decide.

I have to move anyway because I need a physical UK location for latency, but I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts, as I was very happy with the StormVZ box for the period I had it.

• @Nekki said: I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts

Well at present as I see, the network connection in NL is not as good as the former from my place, as I only use it for web hosting and not very important ones, the location doesn't matter really.

I may do a full test and compare them to make my decision in few days.

• @sean

how can i cancel the vps and stop paying the bill ?

Idonot need the vps anymore so I Just wana let it go

but got onemail from openitc

YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED. Supended accounts may be deleted after 7 days of the invoice due date with no chance of recovery. You are still liable for payment after the 7 days according to our terms and conditions.

• @AstroProfundis said: Well at present as I see, the network connection in NL is not as good as the former from my place, as I only use it for web hosting and not very important ones, the location doesn't matter really.

I may do a full test and compare them to make my decision in few days.

We have traffic shaping enabled so you will get 100mbps or less if your comparing download speeds, this will be lifted in 48 hours.

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited March 2013

I can't see what the fuss here is about. Sean has been given away free VPSs for a long time and clearly knows what he is doing.
    All the advert is saying he will do his best to maintain a decent service, but don't expect sterling quality for the price you are paying for what you are getting.
    It certainly won't be Prometeus or BuyVM quality, but may be slightly better than ChicagoVPS :). If providers can switch from 2Gb to 3Gb RAM at the same price, going up to 4Gb may not be so difficult.

If the 4Gb is a genuine allocation, CPU performance will be better because it implies fewer VMs

@sean I just ordered one before seeing that you had given some away for free. Do I get a free month?

• emgemg Veteran

@sean said: @emg

Thank you for the generous offer, but I must pass. Perhaps you can give my free month to another worthy member here.

• The website is not really engaging. It could be improved, while keeping the spirit.
    Anyway it doesn't matter as much as the quality of the product.
    And right now, the network speed is really bad.
    Everything else is quite alright. With an upgrade on the network and an improved design for the website, you could have a best seller.

• Just want to mention that the node I was on was down for almost a full day, even though later on I did get an email from them for clarification:

Duration: Some users may have been affected for approximately 24 hours

We have noticed some networking issues on this node. These issues were causing loss of connectivity.

We tracked this down to faulty ifup-local/ifdown-local scripts provided by the OpenVZ repository. This has now been resolved.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Even though this is an incredibly cheap price and people should know not to put anything production on it, it is still probably not the best idea to leave the network down for 24 hours.

And I think this is actually the same issue with the main brand OpenITC/XenVZ brand as well, the node is solid, the control panel is beautiful and highly automated but when there is an issue that the user can't handle, good luck finding them.

I remembered once reading something on their website that stated something along the line of: If there is a problem, don't contact us, we are already notified and working on it, which really kind of throw me off.

By the way, the SSL cert for clients.openitc.co.uk has expired it seems.

• wroxwrox Member
    edited March 2013

@zhuanyi said: By the way, the SSL cert for clients.openitc.co.uk has expired it seems.

I second this.

I'd recommend setting a set width, together with a beautifully assembled site. Right now, it's kind of dull - It's gray, boring and looks like it was optimized for an iPhone (the menu bar/layout).

Personally, I'd say it doesn't have to be all colorful-ish. @GetKVM_Ash has done this right with gray and a touch of color. http://getkvm.com/

I'd love to see some variety in your text too. Right now, it's all same-sized.

• DaveDave Member

@hostingwizard_net said: The website is not really engaging. It could be improved, while keeping the spirit.

Anyway it doesn't matter as much as the quality of the product.
    And right now, the network speed is really bad.
    Everything else is quite alright. With an upgrade on the network and an improved design for the website, you could have a best seller.

The content is going to be changed shortly thanks to the feedback from everyone here.

We're looking into the network speed issue just now.

A website design isn't out of the question. Our initial intentions were just to throw something up quickly and as cheaply as possible, passing on all possible savings to our customers.

• DaveDave Member

@zhuanyi said: Even though this is an incredibly cheap price and people should know not to put anything production on it, it is still probably not the best idea to leave the network down for 24 hours.

We dropped the ball on this one. We hadn't realised the node was having network issues as our monitoring showed the node as up so this wasn't intentional. Surprisingly, no customers emailed in to let us know they were having issues.

Perhaps this is because they don't feel like they can email us regarding infrastructure issues?

And I think this is actually the same issue with the main brand OpenITC/XenVZ brand as well, the node is solid, the control panel is beautiful and highly automated but when there is an issue that the user can't handle, good luck finding them.

Has this been your experience that you've been unable to get support when something has gone wrong? If so I'll look into this.

I remembered once reading something on their website that stated something along the line of: If there is a problem, don't contact us, we are already notified and working on it, which really kind of throw me off.

Was this on the DireVPS website?

By the way, the SSL cert for clients.openitc.co.uk has expired it seems.

This has been resolved now :)