Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

raxweb gone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

raxweb gone?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

@NickO site is gone vps is down who is going to parked page http://who.is/whois/raxweb.net

Comments

• I think its an issue with the location. I get a cloudflare page for the web site.

• Billing is up. You can open a support ticket

• RaxWeb.net is parked, RaxWeb.com is cloudflare down.

There could be a very good explanation for this or it's just another host in the deadpool.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Whew scared me there. Nevermind then :)

but I'm still worried. My vps is down.

• I opened a ticket.

• We're not gone. raxweb.com is hosted at CVPS and the node has a hardware problem. http://billing.raxweb.com is fine :)

• @NickO has been pretty responsive to queries in the past, at least for me. Lets see how this works out.

• @NickO said: We're not gone. raxweb.com is hosted at CVPS and the node has a hardware problem. http://billing.raxweb.com is fine :)

@pubcrawler

Whew ok. What's up with my vps though?

Good thing bettervps is not launched yet... See http://status.shovenet.com/

• @shovenose said: Whew ok. What's up with my vps though?

Currently working on the issue with our server. Will keep you updated here.

We've really been unfortunate in the past 24 hours. First www.raxweb.com down with CVPS then the client panel (BuyVM) and now a VPS Node. As said, will keep you updated.

• This is our fault. RaxWeb is not going anywhere, @NickO is a stand up guy and I'm sure he has nothing but the best intentions for his company and his clients. The outage for LA-VPS8 may be read at: https://billing.chicagovps.net/serverstatus.php

And before @pubcrawler comes on here, just wanted to say things like this can happen with anyone. This is partially our fault for not stocking enough RAM in our inventory, it just all came at a bad time with our typical supplier being out of stock.

• While we do have raxweb.net registered we've never used it.

Ok I accidentally typed net instead of com so I got nervous.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: This is our fault. RaxWeb is not going anywhere, @NickO is a stand up guy and I'm sure he has nothing but the best intentions for his company and his clients. The outage for LA-VPS8 may be read at: https://billing.chicagovps.net/serverstatus.php

Thanks for the update. It is much appreciated.

And before @pubcrawler comes on here, just wanted to say things like this can happen with anyone. This is partially our fault for not stocking enough RAM in our inventory, it just all came at a bad time with our typical supplier being out of stock.

Indeed. Something like this can happen to anyone. Best thing to do is have open communication.

• @NickO said: While we do have raxweb.net registered we've never used it.

Forward it to the .com, I think that would be efficient.

• At least CVPS isn't selling RAM they don't have. Defects happen. :)

But in all seriousness, a company rolling in the dough and nodes who seems to have same old configs, I'd expect to have serious parts inventory on site.

I feel bad for the customers who are going to be offline for 24 hours or more...

Well I can't believe anybody's server would be down so long... Take drives and raid card out and put it in a spare server??

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: I'd expect to have serious parts inventory on site.

Unfortunately, this all happened at an inconvenient time as we just used our last batch of RAM yesterday for performing some upgrades for a customer machine. We were in the process of ordering more RAM for our inventory for situations like this (as we generally keep a few stocked at all times) however our vendor we typically use was out of stock for the particular DIMMs we require until later this week.

I feel @NickO's pain. I'm on the same node.

@shovenose said: Take drives and raid card out and put it in a spare server??

I get the feeling if they had a spare server they could use like this, they'd just cannibalize the RAM from it.

• @pubcrawler said: But in all seriousness, a company rolling in the dough and nodes who seems to have same old configs, I'd expect to have serious parts inventory on site.

I agree. We were actually in the process of speaking with our typical supplier to get a new batch ordered as we typically keep a decently sized inventory for emergencies, new builds, etc. However we used the last batch of RAM in Los Angeles for a dedicated server customer who needed an upgrade on Sunday, and later that night we received the news from our typical supplier that they wouldn't be able to send in the batch of RAM for our inventory until 2 weeks later because they discovered they did not have stock for the DIMMs we needed.

At any rate, we've ordered a new batch from a different supplier.

@pubcrawler said:I feel bad for the customers who are going to be offline for 24 hours or more...

Don't get me wrong, I can definitely empathise and put myself in our customer's shoes. It's not a fun experience for us nor our customers, but without question it is a learning experience for us and it definitely will not be repeating again in the future.

We expect service for LA-VPS8 to be completely restored by tonight. Thanks for your continued patience guys!

Thanks,

Kevin

• @shovenose said: Well I can't believe anybody's server would be down so long... Take drives and raid card out and put it in a spare server??

If only it were that easy :( Our next batch of servers isn't set to be delivered to Los Angeles by UPS until this Friday.

• @ihatetonyy said: I feel @NickO's pain. I'm on the same node.

It's not too bad since it's only the main site down and not the billing panel. I'll be setting up some failover stuff tonight to ensure this doesn't happen again.

What really sucks is that 3/3 of our providers have had issues in the past 24 hours.

• Perfect storm ... wow

Ouch, it's just one of those days :(

• @shovenose said: Ouch, it's just one of those days :(

Unfortunately =(

All VPS on the Phoenix node are running fine. It's only LA that's affected and our top priority right now is getting it back online.

• @shovenose said: Ouch, it's just one of those days :(

The kind all providers dread. Good luck getting this all sorted @NickO

• What really sucks is that 3/3 of our providers have had issues in the past 24 hours.

That's some damn luck.

Like I keep saying, cabin fever for providers. Everyone doing work this time of year. Spring can't come soon enough so the changes stop and outages almost cease.

I am well, unimpressed by lack of supply and parts. When I was actively involved in datacenters and interfacing with clients, if their server was a broken thing like this, I'd be up all night and it didn't matter if I went and bought a server 120 miles away and brought it back and installed it. That's what my team did. Guess what? Whoever was working for me that didn't maintain proper stock and/or spares, they'd get penalized for it.

As a customer, I'd be asking for a monthly credit.

• All LA VPS should now be back online. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.
    @shovenose

This discussion has been closed.