Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun With Crissic/QuadraNet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fun With Crissic/QuadraNet

I was a victim of the Skylar/Crissic sellout. So I idled, and then I checked the aup/tos. All good, so I ran a tor relay and after posting this comment I was shut down. The ensuing conversation was great!!
http://imgur.com/2aV3HmYScreenie right after the container was suspended
I was only running a relay, not an exit node:
The reply from Crissic "support"
http://imgur.com/wm1h61x
I was offline in 30 seconds!

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hello,

I am not sure what is so great about you intentionally violating a providers terms are, but to each his own. There was a mixup with the acceptable use policy on our new site, but this was fixed. You can date back that policy for years on WayBackMachine and the policy is still the same, we do not allow Tor (Exit, relay or otherwise).

The customer stated openly that he was going to intentionally violate our policy, we found him, verified he was running a process that was against our policy, and suspended him.

P.S as per your sig "Have you seen my baseball?" Not exactly, but I hope you enjoyed our bat.

• ATHKATHK Member

@thagoat , what in the world made you think you could do this? Did you ask the provider if it was ok? No .. no you didn't.

Nothing wrong with what they've done.

Thanked by 2dustinc hostnoob
  • HxxxHxxx Member

lol +1 dustinc

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

That's what this red thing is for :)

• Why does a customer have to check on anther site to verify your TOS? There was clearly none there when he looked ...

• ATHKATHK Member

@werwin01 said:
    Why does a customer have to check on anther site to verify your TOS? There was clearly none there when he looked ...

You clearly can't read.

And the TOS would've been there when OP signed up, so he has no excuse.

• cassacassa Member
    edited March 2016

But how

Thanked by 3thagoat GCat Mathias
  • @cassa said:

But how

That has to be the longest (broken) screenshot URL ever!

Thanked by 1support123
  • cassacassa Member

@linuxthefish said:
    That has to be the longest (broken) screenshot URL ever!

Fix0red

• lazytlazyt Member
    1. OP signed up under Skylar's TOS not Quadnuts.

2. From what Dustin wrote above it would seem that the New site allowed it but it was then caught by Quadnuts who went my bad. And switched it to their "long term Quadnuts policy".

Typical from what I've seen of Dustin et al s operations.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • @dustinc said:
    P.S as per your sig "Have you seen my baseball?" Not exactly, but I hope you enjoyed our bat.

First, how very mature.

Second, please remember that I requested the cancellation.

Third, see this comment and know that I found what I was looking for.

Have a nice day.

• @lazyt said:
    1. OP signed up under Skylar's TOS not Quadnuts.

1. From what Dustin wrote above it would seem that the New site allowed it but it was then caught by Quadnuts who went my bad. And switched it to their "long term Quadnuts policy".

Typical from what I've seen of Dustin et al s operations.

You idiot; it was against Skylar's policy too, you brainless soul.

Thanked by 1emre22
  • @ATHK said:
    Did you ask the provider if it was ok? No .. no you didn't.

Why would I bother Support staff with a question that I can look up myself? I don't call my dad and ask if I can have a cookie after dinner!

I ask my wife =)

• Ahh... atleast it's a smile for those whose read this ;)

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • @dustinc said:

Do you mean that as in you will grab his billing adress and come with the team with bats?

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited March 2016

@doghouch LOL

Never bothered to check everyone else is trolling in one direction so I trolled in the other.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • VyprNetworksVyprNetworks Member
    edited March 2016

A nice read for the day well played Dustin.

• JacobJacob Member

Douchebag response from what now seems to be a douchebag provider.

who didn't see this coming..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Messing with summerhosts who copy/paste their TOS from pastebins is legitimate sport, and running a TOR exit node on them is good clean wholesome fun.

Breaking a TOS because someone forgot to update their web site when you know you're breaking TOS and the TOS you accepted at signup forbids the behavior...meh.

thagoat said: I was a victim of the Skylar/Crissic sellout.

What really did people lose here? From what I heard, QuadraNet continued running their VPSes. Couldn't sign up for more and dropped the Crissic rates, but it's not like people who were with Crissic suddenly lost service.

Wasn't/aren't a Crissic or QuadraNet customer, but seems to me like while the community was sad to see Crissic go, it was handled better than most hosts who just stop responding to ping...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ATHK said:
    thagoat , what in the world made you think you could do this? Did you ask the provider if it was ok? No .. no you didn't.

Nothing wrong with what they've done.

** I mean I would read something if there was anything there...

• chipchip Member

If their is no aup, surely anything is fair game?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

chip said: If their is no aup, surely anything is fair game?

Only if you're a raging fucking idiot. Anyone sensible would realise no AUP more likely means an error rather than 'do what you like'.

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2016

chip said: If their is no aup, surely anything is fair game?

You just can't use them for anything anymore - no usage is acceptable.

raindog308 said: What really did people lose here?

Uptime seems to have gone to crap judging by uptimerobot mails.

• chipchip Member

@Nekki said:

Yes, but surely a sensible host would also do one last final check before releasing their new site to the public?..in this case going oh s**#t we forgot the aup

• NekkiNekki Veteran

chip said: Yes, but surely a sensible host would also do one last final check before releasing their new site to the public?..in this case going oh s**#t we forgot the aup

What's your point? That because they didn't post an AUP they're fair game?

• ATHKATHK Member

@chip said:
    Yes, but surely a sensible host would also do one last final check before releasing their new site to the public?..in this case going oh s**#t we forgot the aup

People make mistakes, it's not even a huge issue. You're just trying to make it one.

What the OP did was absurd and he knows it.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

chip said: Yes, but surely a sensible host would also do one last final check before releasing their new site to the public?..in this case going oh s**#t we forgot the aup

OK, so QuadraNet made an oops.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • chipchip Member

@Nekki said:
    What's your point? That because they didn't post an AUP they're fair game?

No but they fucked up and someone took advantage of that, happens everyday everywhere.

And legally the law (In the UK anyway) would be something along the lines of... The terms that they saw during signup or could have seen had they clicked on an obviously visible link... Well the op did click on the aup and did see it... It however was blank which is what he agreed to when he signed up with them and has proof in the screenshot... So on the flip side they have breached the contract that the op agreed to when he signed up by terminating/suspending his service

• chip said: And legally the law (In the UK anyway) would be something along the lines of... The terms that they saw during signup or could have seen had they clicked on an obviously visible link... Well the op did click on the aup and did see it... It however was blank which is what he agreed to when he signed up with them and has proof in the screenshot... So on the flip side they have breached the contract that the op agreed to when he signed up by terminating/suspending his service

No. Apparently their policy 'mixup' happened after the buy out, and apparently the OP bought before the buyout.

I don't see the point of what the OP done other than to stick two fingers up to a company he doesn't like.

Thanked by 2badpatrick netomx
  • chipchip Member

@ricardo said:

Oh in that case.... The ops a plonker and deserved suspension

I kind of understand the sticking two fingers up though, those types of buyouts are usually messy.