Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone with server off in wholesaleinternet right now ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone with server off in wholesaleinternet right now ?

Comments

• Buys extremely cheap budget server, expects 100% uptime. You guys are funny. Bring on the popcorn!

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2016

Also, those switches are used by OVH and other big corporations, they don't have any sort of issue with it.

It's not the "who" that's important, it's the "how".

@MrGeneral said:
    Actually, AaronW, we'd like to get a refund. Is it possible? Considering the bad service we've had. My client is so, so pissed off, that he told me to get all data and shutdown the service for now.

Was your client not aware you were hosting their services in a bargain DC with no/little SLA?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

MrGeneral said: Actually, @AaronW, we'd like to get a refund.

Well you shouldn't put your client on something that was not thoroughly tested or even made the recommendation to use such service. Good luck!

• MunMun Member

@MrGeneral I can only shake my head at you.

The whole network space at WSI has had issues for months on end, and blips almost weekly. It isn't that big of a surprise to me that shit broke on a network system they clearly don't understand, let alone on the one that they do know. However, from what I have come to understand most of these issues are do to DDOS attacks that can't be nulled in time.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

No, no no.

Server wasn't in production itself. It was in production in terms of development. As we use gitlab, we migrated the software right away.

We were testing it due to its processing capabilities and, of course, the ssd. We'd test it for a few months before getting it in production state. I'm not that crazy, at all! :P

The reliable services are in AWS/Rackspace, I want to move from those Clouds, reduce costs and improve the server structure. However, being in Dedicated markets, doesn't mean that, it needs to have 100% reliability. We'll have a HA cluster. We haven't launched the service yet.

Still, it's frustrating the lack of notice, support that is pretty rude (there are folks there whom it's a pleasure to work with).

Thanked by 1hawc
  • tommytommy Member

no one believed you chepo.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@MrGeneral I've had a multitude of servers with Wholesale internet/Datashack and not only have I had very few problems, I have found the staff are a pleasure to deal with, competitive, and respond quickly.

Thanked by 2sin PieHasBeenEaten
  • AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

hawc said: I'm sniffing more "we dont know how to make it work" over "its all Cisco's fault and its all their stuff being broken"

It's probably a little bit of both although we spent weeks testing the Cisco stuff, and working through issues with TAC. We deployed the switches and then found that only a single IP per machine was working. Again, contact TAC, TAC says "Oh, you're not running the latest code. Update it and all will be well.", so we update the code. Now the new code isn't supporting the 40G optics (first off) and the SSh process is chewing up so much CPU that the switch is rebooting every 30 minutes. Call TAC back... "Oh, that's a known bug, you'll need to roll back to an earlier software version." Try to roll back - unsuported. Call TAC, "Oh, that version doesn't support rollback to previous versions"

Pull 14 Nexus switches out of the racks, replace with Brocade and all is well. Now I've got a lot of money in these switches so we're going to deploy them in a test environment and make Cisco fix them, then put them back online in a different area. If we're doing something wrong then I'm sure they'll set up straight and we won't screw it up next time.

edited March 2016

Mun said: The whole network space at WSI has had issues for months on end, and blips almost weekly. It isn't that big of a surprise to me that shit broke on a network system they clearly don't understand, let alone on the one that they do know. However, from what I have come to understand most of these issues are do to DDOS attacks that can't be nulled in time.

That's completely untrue. The only way that would be close to true is if you're the one getting attacked.

shovenose said: @MrGeneral I've had a multitude of servers with Wholesale internet/Datashack and not only have I had very few problems, I have found the staff are a pleasure to deal with, competitive, and respond quickly.

And if this wasn't the norm we wouldn't be in business.

The entire Cisco issue affected 90 servers. That's it. That's not even 2 full racks. I understand that, for some providers around here, that's all they have but for us, that's 1 days worth of orders.

If you feel that someone on my staff is rude then by all means, please let me know. Email me directly with their name and/or ticket number and I'll look into it myself. There is never a reason for any of my staff to be anything other than @shovenose described them.

• MunMun Member

AaronW said: That's completely untrue. The only way that would be close to true is if you're the one getting attacked.

Nope, I am not the one being attacked. Nice try however.

If you can't fix the problem, blame the customer -or- the switch company.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner MikePT
  • Mun said: If you can't fix the problem, blame the customer -or- the switch company.

OVH use Cisco Nexus as do many providers, given the sheer scale that OVH operate in both with 1GE/10GE connected hosts and 40GE/100GE uplinks, its definitely safe to say that the switches work, they are robust and the definitely scale out.

If you are used to something thats plug and play then of course you'll be in for a shock. These are not something you just pick up off Ebay and then hope to cobble together. At a minimum you need to hire someone with CCIE DC/CCNP to design the fabric and then build it out accordingly.

• MunMun Member

@MarkTurner said:
    If you are used to something thats plug and play then of course you'll be in for a shock. These are not something you just pick up off Ebay and then hope to cobble together. At a minimum you need to hire someone with CCIE DC/CCNP to design the fabric and then build it out accordingly.

This, this, this, this. All of this.

Thanked by 1hawc
  • rdesrdes Member
    edited March 2016

Whole Delimiter down nearly 3 days because they can't cool down equipement, releasing RFO week later = it's normal, they not giving any SLA, you pay what you get for, let's do some memes.

Whoelsale replaces faulty switches in 10 or so hours, problem affects two racks = terrible provider, they don't know what they doing, request refunds ;).

I love this "LET logic" of some users here ;).

As for the OVH, there's a lot incidents reports regarding their CISCO stuff on travaux.ovh.net.

• MunMun Member

@rdes said:
    Whole Delimiter down nearly 3 days because they can't cool down equipement, releasing RFO week later = it's normal, they not giving any SLA, you pay what you get for, let's do some memes.

Whoelsale replaces faulty switches in 10 or so hours, problem affects two racks = terrible provider, they don't know what they doing, request refunds ;).

Don't worry I am not canceling my server. I have been with them for sometime now.

• rdes said: Whole Delimiter down nearly 3 days because they can't cool down equipement, releasing RFO week later = it's normal, they not giving any SLA, you pay what you get for, let's do some memes.

What has Delimiter got to do with this other company's inability to configure its switches?

You are comparing an unplanned incident caused by third party negligence with someone deploying an untested solution and couldn't remedy it.

If I am going to deploy something - I test it thoroughly before I would even consider buying it. I have Cisco Nexus equipment here which Cisco has left with us for the past 9 months for testing, most vendors do that as standard because when the right opportunity arises they'll send in their sales people to push for a sale based on our internally proven solution.

Whatever your beef with Delimiter is, it has never deployed any of its infrastructure badly, its always been a thoroughly well tested, refined and more importantly have the skillset in-house to maintain it.

• rdesrdes Member
    edited March 2016

@MarkTurner: It's the same kind of thing for me, resulting in downtime.

Delimiter had no backup air-conditioning or replecement colocation room to move servers and WSI had no redunant switches, to replace them right away.

I don't really care who and what caused each problem, but that how long it took to fix it.

Come on Delimiter, where is the refugee offer and 3 days of downtime to follow after the offer?

Thanked by 2zafouhar Jonchun
  • @Jason_HOSTBD24 said:
    Come on Delimiter, where is the refugee offer and 3 days of downtime to follow after the offer?

I don't think Delimiter can compete with the hardware or pricing that WSI offered with the E5's. Unless you wanted to replace your E5 with a L5630 or an E3

• Brando said: I don't think Delimiter can compete with the hardware or pricing that WSI offered with the E5's. Unless you wanted to replace your E5 with a L5630 or an E3

These windmill servers are readily available on the market, there have been quite a few Ebay links to them.

We've seen them for some time and played with them. As I've said before - we would not sell anything based on that hardware, in our opinion its not suitable for sales as a dedicated server. It lacks all the basic functionality that a customer needs.

To offer an HP blade with Dual E5-2670, it would probably be twice the price, there is no reason for us to take an enterprise grade blade and devalue it to compete with this.

These systems will meet some people's needs, but not others. Those that it doesn't are already taking our L5630 offering because it comes by default with Full KVM, IPMI and doesn't have the driver/OS issues that this one has.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

I would chose WSI over Delimiter any time (and I have) simply due to WSI's professionalism vs Delimiters competitor-bashing drama BULLSHIT.

And an outage is an outage no matter what the cause. Whether the provider is not actually at fault or not is irrelevant - the provider is getting paid to provide a service and if the service is down the provider is then not providing a service.

This is 2016 - a three day outage is not acceptable, and Delimiter's poor communication during and after the outage is simply unacceptable.

I'm not saying WSI isn't at fault with the server issue. I don't know enough about their setup to know exactly, and it didn't affect me so quite frankly I don't really care. But @AaronW communicated the problem effectively and promptly and it sounds like WSI staff made a plan to resolve the issue quickly and jumped upon it with all hands on deck.

Are they sending out pop tarts like Delimiter? No... but I'd rather have a working server than a snack. Actually, I'd like both - if they do send me pop tarts, heck, I'd be thrilled. But I don't need bribing to recommend them, and I'd rather they spend their time and money improving their services and not shipping food and drinks.

@rdes said: Whole Delimiter down nearly 3 days because they can't cool down equipement, releasing RFO week later = it's normal, they not giving any SLA, you pay what you get for, let's do some memes.

This. 100%. Just because Delimiter sends out pop tarts makes them awesome while WSI sucks because they had an outage 1/4 the time as Delimiter. Makes no sense at all.

• shovenose said: Just because Delimiter sends out pop tarts makes them awesome

But you have to admit it was pretty awesome :)

Thanked by 1luissousa

Could of toasted the pop tarts in delimiters DC during that down time. Even made some smors also.

• Jason_HOSTBD24 said: Could of toasted the pop tarts in delimiters DC during that down time. Even made some smors also.

It wasn't quite that hot, but a Hawaiian themed week may have been a good idea

• @shovenose said:
    This. 100%. Just because Delimiter sends out pop tarts makes them awesome while WSI sucks because they had an outage 1/4 the time as Delimiter. Makes no sense at all.

Well maybe WSI will start sending out dough nuts or cupcakes in lieu of uptime.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2016

Sorry, just felt I had to add some whimsy to this thread.

@Derek this looked like an applicable use for this, thanks!

Cheers!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@MrGeneral said:

Power over Ethernet.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Whatever your beef with Delimiter is, it has never deployed any of its infrastructure badly, its always been a thoroughly well tested, refined and more importantly have the skillset in-house to maintain it.

Really? You claimed you didn't know your dc was being fed from a decades old fuse...a single fuse that brought down everything. Most would know the full scope of what is feeding their datacenter. You blamed the building/contractors for causing your 3 day outage. Your cooling could not handle turning on more than a handful of servers at a time, leaving customers down for up to 3 days with constant missed promises of resolution. That certainly falls under the catagory of "badly deployed infrastructure". It was obviously not well tested nor refined and you were not prepared in the slightest for what happened or how to properly respond/update customers during the event.

Your cutesy pop tarts after were a slap in the face to many of your customers showing you cared more about greasing certain members than caring for all your impacted customers.

You are very knowledgeable, but are showing your ass in these competitor threads. How about you focus on your customers you let down with the three day outage instead of constantly trying to criticize your competitors setups. This issue impacted a handfull of customers for mere hours. You failed all your customers for up to three days and left them hanging with missed promises of resolution. Who f'd up more....certainly Delimeter. Focus on your own shortcomings and let WSI focus on theirs.

• on and off today... there goes my app down the drain