Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SendGrid/SES vs Dedicated server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SendGrid/SES vs Dedicated server

13»

Comments

• @ææææ said:
    indeed what stupid post could yours be besides spam? read the rest of the thread.

It ok, I understand this could mislead. Anyway thank you for answers.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited November 2017

@ææææ said:

needavps said: 1 pixel tracking was something that might have been done 10 years ago. I do not believe this is the tracking method in sendgrid or mailgun in the last few years...

But it still works. Google (sort of) killed it with their proxy, but that only renders location data useless as Google still requests the image at the date/time user opened the email.

actually it can show the ip/geolocation client info like os/email client. They do append and rewrite links with your hostname with the 1 pixel method for html email. I was mistaken because text emails doesn't have this.

• @needavps said:

actually it can show the ip/geolocation client info like os/email client. They do append and rewrite links with your hostname with the 1 pixel method for html email. I was mistaken because text emails doesn't have this.

It will show IP, OS and Client of Google server :(

• needavps said: They do append and rewrite links with your hostname with the 1 pixel method for html email.

What? No they don't... that's the purpose of the proxy.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited November 2017

Actually I use 2 email providers. SendGrid and SparkPost. In SparkPost I send without SPF and dmarc to some email accounts. Sometimes users misconfigure email forwarding to another account. Also as a second attempt to some bounced email addresses (in case SendGrid subnet was banned by some ISPs).

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited November 2017

@ææææ said:

needavps said: They do append and rewrite links with your hostname with the 1 pixel method for html email.

What? No they don't... that's the purpose of the proxy.

>

I'm referring to mailgun for the hostname rewrite. It's rewritten as email.yourhostname.com/<tracking string> You actually don't see the mailgun provider except in the email headers.

• @needavps said:
    I'm referring to mailgun for the hostname rewrite. It's rewritten as email.yourhostname.com/<tracking string> You actually don't see the mailgun provider except in the email headers.

In sendgrid it is called White-labeling, but does not help. Spam filters hate remote images.

• @Gulf said:

@needavps said:

In sendgrid it is called White-labeling, but does not help. Spam filters hate remote images.

All I will say is I get all my notifications just fine from a gmail account without going to spam. The text emails do not have remote images only the appened unsubscribe link.

If you don't plan on tracking emails than it is wasting money on providers like sendgrid.

• @needavps said:
    If you don't plan on tracking emails than it is wasting money on providers like sendgrid.

Pretty much this. Just get setup with mailchannels and be done with it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Hybrid said: powerMTA and that's not cheap unless you get a null version

Hmm...

• talks about a Standard vs. Enterprise version
    • doesn't specify pricing - "contact us for a quote"
    • offers consulting services

Yeah, I'm sure it's ridiculous expensive. Let take a mental guess...

I was close. $12.5K per server (though just based on a forum google). And I'm sure there's 20-22% annual maintenance.

• @WSS said:

How it works? I do not understand. Should I setup own smtp server?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Gulf said: Yes it would be good to remove some inactive emails, but companies reject such mails

Right, and after they reject enough of them from one sender they have automation configured specifically to recognize and punish you for not keeping your mailing list clean. That probably had something to do with your spamhaus listing as well, though sending that much from one IP probably piled on.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Gulf said:

@Yura said:

If your profits don't cover $0.0003/email maybe it's more rational to think about raising your margins instead of cutting loses? Just a thought.

Yep, sendgrid is expensive at this point. I spend 3k on emails, sms and hosting, and earn 9k. Additional 1k would be useful :)

Could you please pm me your sms volume and pricing?

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

Mail Channels works really well.

@Gulf said:

@WSS said:

How it works? I do not understand. Should I setup own smtp server?

You can simply relay. Why dont you use Amazon SES?

• GulfGulf Member
    edited November 2017

@jarland said:
    That probably had something to do with your spamhaus listing as well, though sending that much from one IP probably piled on.

In sendgrid I use 6 dedicated IPs. But maybe rethink email tracking.

Another downside is Thunderbird and similar clients. For example, scribd uses sendgrid:

• GulfGulf Member
    edited November 2017

@MikePT said:
    Why dont you use Amazon SES?

I need a dynamic email address. For example, [email protected], [email protected]. Also poor deliverability, I tried, their IPs ranges are banned by some providers, also a lot of blacklisted IPs in shared network (btw SendGrid shared network is the same trash, I removed dozens of their shared ips from blacklists every day).

@Gulf said:

@MikePT said:
    Why dont you use Amazon SES?

I need a dynamic email address. For example, [email protected], [email protected]. Also poor deliverability, I tried, their IPs ranges are banned by some providers, also a lot of blacklisted IPs in shared network (btw SendGrid shared network is the same trash, I removed dozens of their shared ips from blacklists every day).

Amazon SES handle IP reputation so you just need to get their higher ops to sort that stuff :)

• @MikePT said:
    Amazon SES handle IP reputation so you just need to get their higher ops to sort that stuff :)

Still they do not allow dynamic email address (I need it for protection against scam).

@Gulf said:

@MikePT said:

Still they do not allow dynamic email address (I need it for protection against scam).

Protection against scam...? Random emails, and you wonder why you are getting rbled...?

• @MikePT said:

Protection against scam...? Random emails, and you wonder why you are getting rbled...?

I've never been rbled from SendGrid. I was from own dedicated server, but maybe misconfigured it. Sometimes I need a dynamic email address for protection against scams.

@Gulf said:

@MikePT said:

I've never been rbled from SendGrid. I was from own dedicated server, but maybe misconfigured it. Sometimes I need a dynamic email address for protection against scams.

But what does scam have to do with dynamic email addresses?

• @Gulf said:

@MikePT said:

This thread really confuses me. How does a dynamic email address protect you from scams? You don't even like html emails because some email providers/apps give warnings about remote images on them...

If you setup your dedicated server to just relay email; you don't even need an email address. Why do you need to randomly generate any email?

• GulfGulf Member
    edited November 2017

@MikePT said:

It is just a way to detect a scam user. Nothing serious.

• @Gulf said:

@MikePT said:

It is just a way to a detect scam user. Nothing serious.

You don't even do email tracking with sendgrid but you want to detect scam users?????

@Gulf said:

@MikePT said:

It is just a way to detect a scam user. Nothing serious.

If you arent tracking it, then you cant track scam users. This looks very shady tbh.

• @needavps said:

You don't even do email tracking with sendgrid but you want to detect scam users?????

Yes. I just need a way to detect if one user tries to scam another user. It is offtop...

• I own a busy classified website, so sometimes deal with scams.

• @Gulf said:
    I own a busy classified website, so sometimes deal with scams.

what you want to do is on your end. you create the dynamic email address that is trackable to a classified listing right? sendgrid doesn't care what your from field is when the domain is verified.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited December 2017

@needavps said:
    Sendgrid doesn't care what your from field is when the domain is verified.

Yep, in SES your have to verify every address (btw lifetime limit is 1000... so be careful). A lot of scams are coming from Africa (Cameroon) nowadays. They work worldwide and receive western union payments even in the US (they work in conjunction with native afro-americans in the US or stay there on tourist visa). I've reported couple of scammers to FBI, seems like they do not care. I think in Africa, huge companies are working in scam industry. So it is a plague for most websites. Bigger classified sites are full of scams.