Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap/Budget dedicated server host in Australia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap/Budget dedicated server host in Australia?

pylodepylode Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hi,

I'm in need/looking for a lowend/cheap/budget dedicated server that must be located in Australia..
The server needs to be capable of running a minecraft server, of which currently runs fine on a volumedrive $40 dedicated.

Max Budget: $40/mo.
IPS Needed: at least 5 usable IPv4
At least intel dual core processor.
at least 100 GB HDD.
Preferably at least 200 GB/Bandwidth a month.. on a 100 Mbps or better port

RAM: 2 or 3GB
Reformats/reloads must be free

This must surely be possible someway, as i know it is at multiple budget providers in the US?

Comments

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited February 2013
  • @rahulks
    ""UPDATE: Web24 has informed us that this promotion has now been sold out."

• I would probably need a dedicated as most hosts will just suspend a VPS/VDS once i run a minecraft server on it.
  • Do you need root access and such?

There are a ton of gamehost companies in Australia that cater for Minecraft although they price based on people allowed in the server...

http://minecraftserver.com.au prices are in your range.

• @athk i will also use the server as a VPN.. and a few other things.. so yes i need root access

• You won't find a dedicated server for $40/month in australia, the 200GB bandwidth alone would probley cost more

• @smooch1502 should of mentioned that ;)

Good luck finding something cheap that'll cater for game servers though, if you do find one in that price range PM me!!

Our prices here are ridiculous Australian bandwidth prices are pretty terrible...

• rolz14rolz14 Member
    edited February 2013

If you do manage to find such a thing, Please let me know! that would be amazing

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can try ZettaGrid - it's a VPS but very nice (and non-LEB)

• It's just wrong that the cheapest 1GB server in Australia is at least $100 :\ and that's unmanaged, crappy cpu etc.

I'm okay with a VPS/VDS as long as its not OpenVZ + they wont suspend or terminate me.. or charge me extra to run a minecraft server on it

• what about a host in a country close to Australia or somewhere with good routing to Optus Residential connections? I need like less than 80/90ms ping really

• @gbshouse strange website can't find the TOS .... Wondering what policy they have on intensive CPU scripts.

@smooch1502 they have a 30 free trial up to the value of $150 which will get you some good GHZ.

• http://www.crucial.com.au/company/information#tos-legal $29.95 Linux vps but you can't exceed 5% CPU according to the TOS

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

@smooch1502 said: what about a host in a country close to Australia or somewhere with good routing to Optus Residential connections? I need like less than 80/90ms ping really

This is like no where. USA is at least 160ms due to physical distance. Asia often has congestion / bandwidth issues with Australia / weirdness, so it won't work.

PM me if you like about that offers' DC, but it is hm... (I have NDAs on what I can say).

• @concerto49 PM you about....? bit confused

• If it is truly 100% impossible to get a server or VPS/VDS capable of what i want in Australia in my budget then what about a less than 180ms ping US server? (which must also be in my budget)..?

• @smooch1502 Distance is the factor just as @concerto49 said..

edited February 2013

@smooch1502 said: If it is truly 100% impossible to get a server or VPS/VDS capable of what i want in Australia in my budget then what about a less than 180ms ping US server? (which must also be in my budget)..?

Optus is as good as it gets (unless they have internal congestion). Being a big investor in Southern Cross (the best route going out), it wins.

Quadranet / Colo@ Los Angeles would do it. Lots of hosts there.

We're working on something even better, but won't be until end of the month

@smooch1502 said: @concerto49 PM you about....? bit confused

I was talking about the offer linked. Issues with it. Enough said.

• @athk i'm getting 260/300ms using "ping serverip" in terminal to my volumedrive dedi server... it's basically unplayable as a minecraft server

• @concerto49 Optus has bad intl congestion afaik

• @concerto49 Quadranet too expensive.. needs to be ~$40

edited February 2013

@smooch1502 said: @athk i'm getting 260/300ms using "ping serverip" in terminal to my volumedrive dedi server... it's basically unplayable as a minecraft server

Volumedrive is horrible. Enough said. They aren't West Coast either. That's another problem. Heck, I get ~160-170 to Texas in Sydney but. Internap is fun.

Where are you? Sydney? All USA route through Sydney.

@smooch1502 said: @concerto49 Optus has bad intl congestion afaik

Cable definitely. ADSL possibly. iinet/Internode seem to be better and also use Southern Cross.

@smooch1502 said: @concerto49 Quadranet too expensive.. needs to be ~$40

$40 dedicated server never works for such long distances. Closest bet try Versaweb, i.e. Fiberhub. They had a special for $55 earlier, but think it's out of stock.

• @concerto49 $40 USD all i can really afford :(. i need at least 2/3GB RAM too.

• http://www.minecraftserver.com.au/server-plans/

Buy the "wood" server and buy a leb vps with tun/tap (for VPN) and "other things" I suggest Urpad.net I get a good speed from Wollongong.

• @athk $35 for 1GB seems pretty expensive, + only 12 slots?

• It's just wrong that the cheapest 1GB server in Australia is at least $100

• @athk i was talking about dedicated server... not minecraft server

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

Highest KVM offered by @Oliver: 1GB RAM, 35GB Space, 50GB BW, costs $24/mo.

A dedi? I doubt you will get what you want within the budget. :/
    Seems like bandwidth would be your limiting factor.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@smooch1502 said: cheap/budget dedicated server

@smooch1502 said: in Australia

@smooch1502 said: at least 100 GB HDD, 200 GB BW, RAM: 2 or 3GB

@smooch1502 said: Max Budget: $40/mo.

Ha! I bid you good luck.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@smooch1502 said: Max Budget: $40/mo.

IPS Needed: at least 5 usable IPv4
    At least intel dual core processor.
    at least 100 GB HDD.
    Preferably at least 200 GB/Bandwidth a month.. on a 100 Mbps or better port

RAM: 2 or 3GB

Reformats/reloads must be free

What's your ratio of incoming/outgoing data going to look like in a typical month?

Edit: Oh wait, you want dedicated... Good luck with that. :p

• I've not used Amazon's EC2 before, but based on their Micro server in Sydney + 100GB In/100GB Out, $16.15/month after free tier discount. Problem is the next jump is their Small server at $74.71/month.