Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode review - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode review

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Xei said: Hope it works out, would like to do some new tests when it's added.

Hopefully we'll all be able to get a feel for it tomorrow evening.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Few days ago I signed up for SSD vps. Getting good service till now.

• I grabbed a yearly SSD plan this morning and migrated my munin server to it. The difference is night and day quite honestly, I'm very impressed by the speed.

• @Nick_A said: Hopefully we'll all be able to get a feel for it tomorrow evening.

If they miss another deadline, they better compensate you for the inconvenience and bad service.

@HostPair said: Few days ago I signed up for SSD vps. Getting good service till now.

Thanks!

@Nekki said: I grabbed a yearly SSD plan this morning and migrated my munin server to it. The difference is night and day quite honestly, I'm very impressed by the speed.

Good to hear! I put a LOT into every node.

@Centaur said: If they miss another deadline, they better compensate you for the inconvenience and bad service.

Well, they don't charge until the port is up, so I haven't lost any real money yet. Hopefully I haven't lost any unseen business, though.

Anyway, I was just told their port is up, so now I just have to get mine configured.

• @Nick_A said: Anyway, I was just told their port is up, so now I just have to get mine configured.

:-D

Of course my router won't detect a link... They're testing a loopback shortly.

• @Nick_A said: Good to hear! I put a LOT into every node.

Honestly mate, it shows. I'm already considering upgrading from the 128 yearly to something a little bit beefier.

@Nekki said: Honestly mate, it shows. I'm already considering upgrading from the 128 yearly to something a little bit beefier.

Sounds good!

• [Review break] Just opened a ticket w/ Ramnode to renew my service early, but with a longer billing term and a change of coupon code. Answered within 50 minutes with an invoice with everything exactly as I'd asked, and the due date as it would have been had I renewed at the regular time (so have plenty of time to pay). I love Ramnode.

What I’ve learned regarding marketing, though, is to build up loyalty among my clients and they become my best advertising. (WHT interview with Nick)

A+ job on that, @Nick_A!

Thank you very much @DStrout!

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2013

@nick_a the delay from nLayer was probably our fault. We've got them tied up building out their pop here at 34 Peachtree which is also supposed to go live tomorrow. ;)

I think they are also upgrading the Layer2 Distribution and DWDM mux that is currently in JTC that you connect to so that is likely their permanent solution they are referring to.

@RyanD, ah. Well, they think their end is done with my port, but my router does not detect a link. We rolled the cross connect multiple times. They checked my router config and it looks fine. Still nothing. We're just waiting for Cyber Wurx to recheck the cross connect itself at this point.

• @Nick_A the joy of new cross-connects ;) Luckily it's all in-building as CW has fiber to JTC on 8th floor where nLayer's fiber mux / gear is. They then back-haul it back over to 56. So, just a few pieces to the wonderful puzzle. Should be an easy fix :)

At least they didn't do what TelX did to us at 56 and install the wrong fiber panel in the rack, we go to take some circuits live and they had removed the panel without telling us and didn't re-install the new one. We had scheduled turnups and no fiber :(

• We've had nothing but good support and performance from RamNode. Recommended.

@RyanD said: Luckily it's all in-building as CW has fiber to JTC on 8th floor where nLayer's fiber mux / gear is.

I think part of the hassle is that they're moving that gear soon as well. Or maybe they are doing it now. I forget, don't quote me :/

@NodePing said: We've had nothing but good support and performance from RamNode. Recommended.

Thanks, and likewise for NodePing!

• RamNode sucks, no 2GB plan for $7

• if (@jcaleb == sarcasm) {
    goto good
    } else {
    goto stfu
    }

Nope! Not getting into that silly game.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited February 2013

@DStrout said: @jcaleb == sarcasm

Just kidding, RamNode is all about quality.

@Nick_A said: Nope! Not getting into that silly game.

But what about having something like Hostigation's once a year crazy offer? Every Christmas?

@jcaleb said: But what about having something like Hostigation's once a year crazy offer? Every Christmas?

Maybe. Still have a ways to go before I can offer BigTim kind of crazy deals, though.

• @Nick_A said: Nope! Not getting into that silly game.

Good. I don't feel very confident in offers like that. It's clearly unsustainable. For me it's:

Quality

Quantity

• It's amazing RamNode now have a good following, considering they only opened doors last May 2012

• @jcaleb said: It's amazing RamNode now have a good following, considering they only opened doors last May 2012

I know, I was surprised to see that in the WHT interview. Hey, if you do a good job, you will get good customers.

@DStrout said: I know, I was surprised to see that in the WHT interview. Hey, if you do a good job, you will get good customers.

To be clear, are you referring to the ServerBear interview? I can't recall a WHT interview.

Thanks again guys

• @jcaleb said: But what about having something like Hostigation's once a year crazy offer? Every Christmas?

+1
    And I blame Tim for my re-addiction (is that a word?) to LEB's! I had already cancelled almost all my VPS (except one from BuyVM) by then, but after jumping onto that deal I am back to collecting LEB's. :/ & just like most of the other folks on LEB, mine are also sitting idle (except Hostigation) since the purchase.

Both RamNode & Prometeus are on my add to "collection" list. So far, have successfully "avoided" offers from both. But a Hostigation like deal, I am not sure if I (or anyone else interested in these 2 providers) would be able to keep myself from getting one anyway.

I know this is a RamNode review thread, still would like to wish both of the providers good luck & well done for the excellent service so far! :)

• @KernelPanic said: just like most of the other folks on LEB, mine are also sitting idle (except Hostigation) since the purchase.

That is probably the reason the speed is feeling so good on LEB's. 80% on the server are idle :p

• @taronyu

and then some day 5-10 people are going to add load ;)

I watch for CPU abuse like a hawk: http://gyazo.com/f43edfd0aff05efa3abb4a2ab81aadfa (those are tickets created by me)

• @Nick_A said: I watch for CPU abuse like a hawk: http://gyazo.com/f43edfd0aff05efa3abb4a2ab81aadfa (those are tickets created by me)

And not only CPU. I can remember I used Siege so stress my webserver once. Only 2 minutes not much later I received a mail from @Nick_A asking what was happening. After explaning no problems :)