Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[box.com] Get 50GB of Box FREE for Life - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[box.com] Get 50GB of Box FREE for Life

2»

Comments

• mount all accounts with davfs2 and use unionfs-fuse to join all of them in one folder. works great. but I would recommend making a few accounts as backup account and adding them to unionfs folder as you need them. no need in mounting ten accounts if you don't need them.

I can say that I really love box.com. I uploaded with 20MB/s without problems, already over 40GB in the account and davfs is working great. much better than Dropbox.

• and as @komo said duplicity is perfect for this because it does not care about 250MB file size limit. it tar/gzipps and splits everything in 25MB chunks.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited February 2013

@tommy said: works here :) and I've invite all of my email :P so I can get 50 GB x 10 = 500 GB

Is there any incentive to invite rather than sign up directly with the Dell link?

• nikcnikc Member
    edited February 2013

@nstorm said: Google "davfs2". If you LEB are OpenVZ it needs to be FUSE enabled. If not you can still use curl for automation of file uploads/downloads (but it won't mount it ofc).

Seems I dont have FUSE enabled, but how would one upload using curl ?

• @zhuanyi said: Is there any incentive to invite rather than sign up directly with the Dell link?

nothing :) atm I don't use proxy/vpn so I don't want they detect multiple signup from same address, by using invitation I can signup later, no need to worry.

• I Wish a feature they have is to be able to stream videos to your android phone but unfortunately it tries to download the complete file first before playing the video.. I've noticed this with Dropbox, Google Drive as well

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2013

Seems I dont have FUSE enabled, but how would one upload using curl ?

curl -T zzz.jpg --user login:password https://www.box.com/dav/zzz.jpg

You can left password blank and it will prompt for it in commandline. Or a more complicated way: http://developers.box.com/get-started/

• @earl did you've tried opening the file directly as stream from MX Player? Should work if it will be able to authorize.

• @nstorm said: @earl did you've tried opening the file directly as stream from MX Player?

No go it just says "sorry this video cannot be played" it's an flv file so it should technically work

• Its more about on how client works. If you are opening it from box android app it will just always try to download first and then launch associated app. And this isn't wrong. Try opening the webdav url from MX player:
    https://username:[email protected]/dav/path/to/your/file

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited February 2013

Is webdav performance terrible for anyone else? Took ~30 seconds to return from "echo foo > test" and generally fails to copy files dragged/dropped in finder.

Ps thanks for the heads up @spirit

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@nstorm said: Try opening the webdav url from MX player:

I use the share link that does not need a password at which point I input that in mxplayer under network stream.. but does not work

• @spirit thanks got 4acc for my friends

• @tehdan webdav performance is great in my eyes. single requests need time to start but transfer speeds are great. basically it is great for big files because the overhead is big.

this should not be used as a standard network drive but as backup device. you should probably see this mounted drive it as ftp server.

• WebDAV support aren't great, people are often complaining about it. But at least it works and its free.

@earl share link doesn't gets you directly to your file download. It opens a page with download link, which is dynamic. Like with other file storage sites. WebDAV with username/password could provide you a direct download link, which should work... if MX player will be able to authorize correctly.

• @nstorm said: curl -T zzz.jpg --user login:password https://www.box.com/dav/zzz.jpg

Is there any way to use a wildcard with this to upload all files in a directory ?

• @nstorm I like webdav solution more than Dropbox solution with a special local folder where you have to copy files or make links to your files. on the other side is Box.com with 50GB probably more a backup drive than synchronization tool like Dropbox.

• @nikc use the force of *nix. Something like:
    for fn in *.jpg; do curl -T $fn --user login:password https://www.box.com/dav/$fn; done

@tcreu webdav != box.com. WebDAV are implemented by many other storage services. And the box.com aren't support their webdav part much. So sometimes it bugs, it can fail transfers it can work pretty slowly. If you compare it to other webdav services, not with other technologies.

• for me is box.com = webdav because I would not use it in any other way. I have crashplan account but I like to have raw access to my files without any complicated apps.

• @nstorm yeah I had several files not make it, or end up on the server empty - without throwing an error, there's a backup disaster waiting to happen :) The webpage is nice and responsive but their DAV seems pretty useless.