Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alpine Linux µservers - Alpha testers wanted! FREE! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alpine Linux µservers - Alpha testers wanted! FREE!

2»

Comments

• Please, don't run Tor.

• PM sent. I can load test it good this weekend :)

-Jamie M.

• @albertdb said:
    Please, don't run Tor.

I was trying to run a ZeroNet client hidden behind TOR. Just saw that you was killing the processes :)

Never mind, no TOR if you don't like it.

• I'd also like to test the new image please.

• @tehdan said:
    I'd also like to test the new image please.

Done.

I'm going to write a brief example of how to create a new service supervised by s6 init system and manage it. Give me a few minutes.

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland reCaptcha is broken. It says something about invalid key.

This is the guide, I cannot post it here directly: https://notehub.org/ame84

It shows how to install nginx and create a s6 service for it. It's quite straightforward.

• @albertdb I'm interested in trying s6 too, My Alpine Linux µserver 's Private IP Address is 172.17.0.8

Thanks.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited March 2016

@albertdb My I ask why you chosed s6 and not any of the others (supervisor, …)?

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited March 2016

@rahulks said:
    albertdb I'm interested in trying s6 too, My Alpine Linux µserver 's Private IP Address is 172.17.0.8

Thanks.

Done.

@shafire said:
    albertdb My I ask why you chosed s6 and not any of the others (supervisor, …)?

Lightweight, powerful, fairly easy to use and available in main Alpine Linux repository, which has 2 years support. Also, it doesn't require to be and works well not being PID 1, so main SSH server (which could be considered as a kind of vKVM) can survive a system (init died) crash. Ideally, users should run a s6 supervised SSH server and use it as main SSH entry point, so everything runs under control of s6.

• @EkaatyLinux said:
    Some things I think you should pay atention to:

1. If you are using --net=host nor users nor you will be able to change CT hostname. This is bad if you want to provide this as a VPS solution;
    2. If you aren't using this, Alpine containers don't allow you to change hostname too, as you can see on https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3057. You will have to write a routine on your software to allow users to edit what you pass to the -h flag, but you have to use bridged network for it;

It's an Alpine bug, as you say. Once it's fully integrated (µservers will be provisioned through REST API requests), it will be configurable on the deploy request.

1. Please, really, PLEASE, setup Docker on Scaleway using ZFS RAID-Z. If you'll provide it as a product, for the love of God, scrub disks once a week;

ZFS is under consideration.

1. It will not hurt you if you write a small script to allow users to know what memory limits they have and how much they are using as free will always show the entire system memory usage;

It's on the roadmap.

1. CPU shares are good, don't hate them;

Already in use. I've raised CPU allowance to all µservers.

1. Please, do the same thing using the ARM servers.

Once they are in stock, I they ever be again.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @EkaatyLinux said:
    Some things I think you should pay atention to:

3. Please, really, PLEASE, setup Docker on Scaleway using ZFS RAID-Z. If you'll provide it as a product, for the love of God, scrub disks once a week;

Is ZFS RAID-Z on Linux already stable? Or how do you mean this?

• @shafire said:
    Is ZFS RAID-Z on Linux already stable? Or how do you mean this?

As far as I know (and use) yes. But for using with Docker on Scaleway you need to build a custom image built on zfs (or other linux kernel supported fs) because their official images are all on ext4.

To be honest, RAID-Z has a not negligeable impact on the pool IOPS. Maybe you should look for ZFS mirroring instead of RAID. @albertdb take a look at this article, you may find it useful: http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/06/zfs-you-should-use-mirror-vdevs-not-raidz/

Thanked by 1albertdb
  • There are still a few µservers available. I won't ask for feedback until (at least) the 24th and you'll have some more days to answer, so feel free to ask for your free µserver :)

Nevertheless, any feedback prior to that would be awesome, even if it's why you aren't even considering to participate in alpha test.