Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alpine Linux µservers - Alpha testers wanted! FREE!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alpine Linux µservers - Alpha testers wanted! FREE!

albertdbalbertdb Member
edited March 2016 in General

I'm developing a new platform of µservers (micro-servers) based on Alpine Linux with s6 and it's the time for real user testing.

Final specs for those µservers are still not decided, but don't count on having dedicated cores and gigs of RAM. They are called micro for a reason!

Network wise, you have 100 NATed ports (plus SSH port) and unmetered bandwidth. In terms of disk, a whopping Gigabyte of SSD disk is at your disposal.

Just send me a PM and I will send you µserver IP, credentials and assigned ports.

Some conditions:

• Only LET users registered before 01/01/2016 00:00 are eligible.
  • After a few days you will have to answer three questions (takes less than 2 minutes) about the service in order to continue using the µserver until next testing phase. Otherwise your µserver will be destroyed and redeployed for the next guy in the waiting list.
  • SMTP is blocked. Don't even try to ask for enabling it for you.
  • I'll be monitoring what you run in there, don't do weird things.
  • TOR not allowed nor any other deepnet thing. See bulletpoint above.

Quick Alpine Linux package system reference:

• To install a package: sudo apk add --no-cache <package>
  • You can find all available packages here: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages
  • Remember that you log-in as a non-root user, sudo is your friend.

s6 init system examples: https://notehub.org/ame84

Comments

• PM sent. Cheers man.

• This is a great idea - long live the 32MB VPS!

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

Sounds interesting! How much do you anticipate this will cost after the testing phase?

• @alfred said:
    Sounds interesting! How much do you anticipate this will cost after the testing phase?

Not decided, but cheap as chips, per year.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

albertdb said: After 72 hours you will have to answer three questions (takes less than 2 minutes) about the service in order to continue using the µserver until next testing phase. Otherwise your µserver will be destroyed and redeployed for the next guy in the waiting list.

Just curious - is this "we are asking questions to make the service better" survey or a "you have to participate in our affiliate-scheme survey because we make 10 cents per reply" thing?

• @raindog308 said:
    Just curious - is this "we are asking questions to make the service better" survey

Yes.

@raindog308 said:
    "you have to participate in our affiliate-scheme survey because we make 10 cents per reply" thing?

No way!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • ehabehab Member

@albertdb said:
    I'll be monitoring what you run in there, don't do weird things.

@raindog308 this vps is not for you

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • 6 µservers delivered so far.

• BradBrad Member

@ehab said:

I'm sure it's not right for many others. Even though you obviously shouldn't run anything important, it's just the principle. What is to stop you from doing this even for paying customers?

• @Brad so are node deploy somehow unable to monitor their customers activity on VPS? I think @albertdb is just being upfront.

• @Brad said:
    I'm sure it's not right for many others. Even though you obviously shouldn't run anything important, it's just the principle. What is to stop you from doing this even for paying customers?

I'm not asking for any ID info of anyone asking for a server. I think it's fair to at least monitor which processes are running to avoid nmap and friends.

Others do it (even for paying customers) and simply don't tell you.

• BTW, this platform is not based in OpenVZ, i.e. it's not just another NATed OpenVZ VPS.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

I'm quite a fan of alpine linux, I'll send you a PM shortly.

What DC/location is this in?

• ehabehab Member

@Brad @albertdb then terms and conditions should be explicit about it, otherwise its called spying.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2016

albertdb said: this platform is not based in OpenVZ

What it's based on, then? LXC?

Also, IPv6 is available?

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

It seems to be Docker. Not super confident of location but maybe online.net?

• I have send the pm, waiting for the response~

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

@alfred said:
    It seems to be Docker. Not super confident of location but maybe online.net?

Yeah it online, the rDNS is scaleway as well.

Edit: also yeah it is docker

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • How do I install rc-service (which package)?

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited March 2016

All your guesses are correct. The platform is Docker-derived.

@deadbeef said:
    How do I install rc-service (which package)?

It's openrc. You may wish to edit the entry point file located at / instead. Don't remove the last line, though.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2016

I'll answer my question: sudo apk add --no-cache openrc

Edit: Whoops, posted at the same time, thanks @albertdb

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2016

The docker image used is problematic, you will have issues following the wiki tutorials.

Edit: I mean, unless you're an Alpine enthousiast willing to dig in :)

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited March 2016

@deadbeef said:
    The docker image used is problematic, you will have issues following the wiki tutorials.

Edit: I mean, unless you're an Alpine enthousiast willing to dig in :)

Next testing phase will bring new base image with service management. Currently you have to fork in background, either manually or from the entry point file.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • albertdb said: whopping Gigabyte

Yup, whopping..

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • The new base image is ready for testing. All new µservers will be delivered with it.

It includes s6 init system.

@deadbeef Do you want me to redeploy your µserver?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

@albertdb said:
    deadbeef Do you want me to redeploy your µserver?

You can do mine if you have time, I'd be interested in trying s6.

• @Setsura said:
    You can do mine if you have time, I'd be interested in trying s6.

Done.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • Some things I think you should pay atention to:

1. If you are using --net=host nor users nor you will be able to change CT hostname. This is bad if you want to provide this as a VPS solution;
    2. If you aren't using this, Alpine containers don't allow you to change hostname too, as you can see on https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/3057. You will have to write a routine on your software to allow users to edit what you pass to the -h flag, but you have to use bridged network for it;
    3. Please, really, PLEASE, setup Docker on Scaleway using ZFS RAID-Z. If you'll provide it as a product, for the love of God, scrub disks once a week;
    4. It will not hurt you if you write a small script to allow users to know what memory limits they have and how much they are using as free will always show the entire system memory usage;
    5. CPU shares are good, don't hate them;
    6. Please, do the same thing using the ARM servers.

Network speed is just what I was expecting from Scaleway:

• Please give me one to test!

Thanked by 1iki
  • @EkaatyLinux Thanks for your input. I will make some comments about some of the points later.

@windytime90 said:
    Please give me one to test!

PM please.