Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VPS could you host... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VPS could you host...

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Easily should hold 1500. Save some money and just get an I7 and a tower. Same capacity, no way you'll ever run into a problem.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: Easily should hold 1500. Save some money and just get an I7 and a tower. Same capacity, no way you'll ever run into a problem.

Why only hold 1500, when you could get a node with 750gb ram and hold much more? then again, with a node that has 750gb ram, it'd be much much much more costly.

• Holding users and accounts is one thing.

Do you expect that 1500 customers all will use nothing the entire billing period?

Beginning to believe the entire VPS market is just a facade. Few buy and those that do never use. Weird stuff.

Let's see 100 gamers with their 2GB accounts on that server and see what we get :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

100 gamers? Dual core AMD should be plenty then.

• @pubcrawler said: Let's see 100 gamers with their 2GB accounts on that server and see what we get :)

It'll die with DDoS before the RAM is all used up.

• @concerto49 said: It'll die with DDoS before the RAM is all used up.

• also, if you do allow games, might as well get a hardware firewall

• You need the great firewall of China if you build and sell and allow gamers.

• @pubcrawler said: firewall of China

or simply allow games, disable all gaming ports.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you want to do 1000 customers a node:
    1. get a .18 kernel. burst instead of vswap will do much-much better with tons of small vps-es. a .32 kernel will simply die in prostration seeing all those threads and the extra work to keep track of slowing down ram and all the stuff.
    2. Get a huge ssd raid with hw controller, you will not need the kernel worry about stripes and parity too.
    3. Make sure they dont get much network traffic. 1000 ppl doing 1 mbps=100 doing 10=10 doing 100. 100 mbps is not rarely seen on 1 gbps ports from only one machine, if they have small bw allocations will be conservative with that and rates of traffic will go down.
    4. Prepare a big staff to answer tickets 24/7. With 10 k customers is gets atrocious.
    5. Make sure you have redundant power, a serious datacenter with redundant supply for real, drives and memory at hand, even spare servers on site to just switch the drives and power on in case of mobo failure or anything (except drives), you can investigate the rest after the customers are back online.
    6. Prepare to tank DDoSes every 10 minutes or so, have someone always on call to null or supervise the network in case you have autonull.
    7. Dont get a great offer to populate them fast, will be impossible to keep track of abusers and chargebacks, make sure you have more payment processors or more accounts/billing panels/reseller accounts to deal with funds being frozen or have a stash of money prepared for emergencies.
    just for start :)
    BTW, if you want big density, get supermicro twin blade servers. Some have 6x2.5 drive bays which can host a raid of SSD barely enough for 1000 customers.

• One of the things that freaked me out about our 50 cent plan was how many clients we could pack on to the server. It got up to 800 clients on one server, because I got freaked out about having so many eggs in one basket. So we no longer do that, and that's why we no longer do it too. I'd prefer to sell fewer clients more resources than to sell a giant pile of people small fry.

On the other hand, an E3 with 32gb of ram handled those 800 clients without problem, so... your megamonolith server should work fine.

• @Infinity I don't see why not, with all that power usage you would need a quarter rack minimum, pretty sure @damian is using more than 1K IPs in less than a quarter rack.

• @Jacob said: @damian is using more than 1K IPs in less than a quarter rack.

We're up to 1/2 rack now. Our baby is growing sniff

Stop buying broken junk on ebay and you can have the same density too :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jacob said: @Infinity I don't see why not, with all that power usage you would need a quarter rack minimum, pretty sure @damian is using more than 1K IPs in less than a quarter rack.

Not doubting that it's possible. I know it's possible, but definitely not practical.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Not sure why anybody else hasn't asked the question of:

Do you really. REALLY... expect to get 40,000 VPS customers? I mean, even if you tried to build slowly over time, it's going to take a hell of a lot to get that many, surely?

@CVPS_Chris @Francisco @miTgiB care to comment on how long you think it'd take to build this kind of customer-base? Surely more than one or two LEB offers.

• @liamwithers He was asking it to find the maximum theoretical amount of clients that could fit onto a single node and also on a full rack... This is 'what if', not 'I'm definitely going to' have 40,000 VPS customers

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited February 2013

Err, if it was me I'd split that up into a few servers.

I know you're thinking "less headaches, less this, less that", but as @damian said: do you really want all your eggs in one basket? In the long run, placing 100% of your clients on a single server will hurt you. What happens if something fries? You've got 1000 angry clients to deal with. For example: 4 servers and one dies... you're only dealing with 250 clients (yes, don't get me wrong, I know it's still quite a few) versus 1000.

Why do I like BuyVM? The stability is awesome and the people running it are awesome. Why do I have more than 1 VPS with BuyVM? They've got dozens of servers - if they only had a few, I wouldn't have as many as I do ('in-house' redundancy, if you know what I mean). If one server goes down due to some unforeseen error (ie. Fran tripping over a network cable), none of their other servers are affected, and <5% of their clients actually notice something's wrong. With one server, you tripping over a network cable would instantly interrupt 100% of your clients. Sort of a strange example, but do you get what I'm trying to convey?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@BK_ said: In your proposed setup, you tripping over a network cable would instantly interrupt 100% of your clients.

That still happens(ed) if you have a router problem or you trip over the power cord in the router or the main link (if only one), but the chance to trip the exact one to do most damage is smaller.
    On the other hand, having fewer cables, switches, reduces the chance to trip over one dramatically, heck, with only one server can have only one CAT 6 wire from the DC/carrier, all cool.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited February 2013

@Maounique said:

That still happens(ed) if you have a router problem or...

On the other hand, having fewer cables, switches, reduces the chance to trip over one...

Of course it does, I'm not denying that :) My statement certainly isn't foolproof, it's just an opinion.

• @Damian said: On the other hand, an E3 with 32gb of ram handled those 800 clients without problem

WOW!! that's amazing..

@Damian said: Stop buying broken junk on ebay and you can have the same density too :P

What do you think of the Xeons L5420 with 16gb of ram do think it's too old? can it handle 400 clients?

• 800 clients on an E3? Uggh.

This industry is plain nuts. Of course I expect that @Damian wasn't loading up 2GB plans on there either, but instead those tiny plans mainly. Am I right?

• @earl said: WOW!! that's amazing..

Not that spectacular... think of it as 200 128mb clients, or 12 2GB clients....

@pubcrawler said: Of course I expect that @Damian wasn't loading up 2GB plans on there either, but instead those tiny plans mainly.

It was 100% 32mb plans.

• Definitely enough room @Damian only using 25GB @ 800 clients :)

• @Damian said: Not that spectacular... think of it as 200 128mb clients, or 12 2GB clients....

I have one of your 32 MB plans and it works awesome!! knowing that there was 800 clients on it is truly amazing..

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I'm sure there's at least one provider on here that puts 800 2GB clients on an E3 ;) But still a phenomenal feat :)

• @shovenose couldn't be the one who was just recently offering 3GB LEB could it..? ;)

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

• @earl said: knowing that there was 800 clients on it is truly amazing..

LOW END SECRETS

• @Jack what's blue and white and has "OVERSOLD" written all over it? ;)

edited February 2013