Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Staminus Offline - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Staminus Offline

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It seems AthenaLayer is now spamming their facebook feed trying to get people to move over.

Jesus people, have some class.

Francisco

• GulfGulf Member
    edited March 2016

A bit badly written code for silicon valley. Looks like they never validate any user input.

Fucking rude coder

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • raindog308 said: 25% rituals

How about the mystical stuff? Pentagrams and the all-seeing eye?! Wasn't Emerson a Mason?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2016

Scary news, just goes to show that hosting your stuff with a big company does not mean you are safe!

I bet they won't exist for much longer, this is about as worse as it gets.

Thanked by 22khosts coreflux

@linuxthefish said:
    Scary news, just goes to show that hosting your stuff with a big company does not mean you are safe!

I'd be very surprised if this rocks them that hard. They still offer pretty decent protection and their support is top notch.

Protection is expensive to offer at high volumes and whenever there was an issue they were quick to help us and more than once they called me within 5 minutes of a ticket arriving to talk through things to speed up resolution.

Someone dropped the ball, period.

Francisco

• GulfGulf Member

@linuxthefish said:

Big company != safety. They tend to save and hire cheap unprofessional coders.
    I've browsed their codebase and it smells like сode monkey.

• xaocxaoc Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    Media and films is not exactly where one gets knowledge about the world - I hope!

There`s also internet now... :P

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @Amitz said:
    You don't know about the KKK? I mean - really? Who does not know about those racists?

Americans perhaps? Looks to me that being a KKK leader isn't a carreer stopper in the US politics, even for Democrats. You just have to disavow and apologize and then you can become a "President pro tempore", third in line for Presidential succession.

• Wow just WOW hosting a nut-job organisation like the KKK would put any company at risk i guess, very scary news :( so if a group of hackers wanted to get you they can? Or this just leads down to the poorly secured setup of their infrastructure?

• @Gulf said:
    A bit badly written code for silicon valley.

You'd be surprised ;)

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member

@deadbeef said:
    You'd be surprised ;)

Especially with salaries like 10k$ monthly

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Gulf said:
    Especially with salaries like 10k$ monthly

For a young, single person, certainly it's not bad. For older people with family, not so great.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited March 2016

@deadbeef said:

For that salary they could hire a dedicated office of professional developers/testers somewhere in the ukraine or russia, like name cheap does (based in LA).

• @Gulf said:
    For that salary they could hire a dedicated office of professional developers/testers somewhere in the ukraine or russia, like name cheap does (based in LA).

Certainly. Yet, there are pros and cons in doing that, so it is not a magic pill solution for many companies. Having an outsourced remote dev team that produces on par with a local team is very challenging to do it right. Also, there is a strong preference from VCs to have local programmers in start-ups.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited March 2016

@deadbeef said:

Staminus codebase is awful, but I think it was developed by their local US guy. Can't get how do security companies hire such unprofessional staff...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I have never heard about the KKK, but their logo looks familar.

coincidence?
    I don't think so.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

Talking about "conspiracy theory" :)

From provider perspective: Staminus is in a tremendous problem. Total destruction of company. Wondering, what they have done to the crackers in order to receive such harsh punishment...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Seems like the KKK switched to OVH.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

If you had bothered to spend more than one minute reading you'd see that they only discovered the KKK site after the fact — while rumbling through Staminus stuff. So it had very little to do with them hosting that particular site.

@2khosts said:
    Wow just WOW hosting a nut-job organisation like the KKK would put any company at risk i guess, very scary news :( so if a group of hackers wanted to get you they can? Or this just leads down to the poorly secured setup of their infrastructure?

Thanked by 2jonbeard 2khosts
  • jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

Has Staminus's site been loading for anyone since like Friday? I haven't been able to reach their site at all.

• No luck connecting from here either. Still can't believe this whole mess and how easily it could've been prevented.

Looks like @globalfrag is the newest host to start spamming the list:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1556659&page=5&p=9655137#post9655137

Francisco

Thanked by 22khosts ihatetonyy
  • You are receiving this email because you opted in at one of our sister companies with Global Frag Networks.

Who knew being part of a data dump opted you in for emails from @globalfrag. Must be a really loose definition.

Since they're providing us a nice address in Los Angeles, would this count as a CAN-SPAM violation? Is my understanding of the law fairly light?

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/plain-language/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business.pdf

The CAN-SPAM Act has certain aggravated violations that may give rise

to additional fines. The law provides for criminal penalties – including imprisonment – for:

harvesting email addresses or generating them through a dictionary attack (the practice of sending

email to addresses made up of random letters and numbers in the hope of reaching valid ones)

Thanked by 2Francisco 2khosts

ihatetonyy said: would this count as a CAN-SPAM violation

I'm not sure about that, i'm sure it does violate federal laws though. I know for me it suddenly gives some validity to nexhost's claims that @globalfrags are a bunch of crooks.

Francisco

• Francisco said: nexhost's claims that @globalfrags are a bunch of crooks.

https://www.globalfrag.com/lax02_facility_sheet.pdf

• You may borrow and not keep. It does NOT include the free drinks/snacks *

Customers don't even get free drinks or snacks as advertised in the spam email. That's the most insulting thing to me, honestly

Thanked by 2MikeA Francisco
  • The worst thing is that hosts get customers from sending those spam emails which is why providers continue sending spam.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited March 2016

Francisco said: I'm not sure about that, i'm sure it does violate federal laws though.

IANAL, but if in the US a customer database could be considered a trade secret then the Economic Espionage Act comes into play, including criminal penalties of 10 years jail and/or a $5 million fine and civil injunctive relief.

I know for me it suddenly gives some validity to nexhost's claims that @globalfrags are a bunch of crooks.

I'll take a different option: Nexhost is a braindead moron at the same time as GlobalFrag are dodgy as fuck. He whined because he was a screwup and it may as well be a total coincidence that GlobalFrag are (IMHO) untrustworthy.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lbft said: IANAL, but if in the US a customer database could be considered a trade secret

Nope.

lbft said: then the Economic Espionage Act comes into play, including criminal penalties of 10 years jail and/or a $5 million fine and civil injunctive relief.

"injunctive" is an impressive-sounding word for sure.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2016

@Grizzly said:
    Two things I would like to add:
    1. I always knew Staminus was a load of shite and my sixth sense was right due to this hack though that sense was years ago. Yes I know I have nothing to back me up.
    2. Who gives AF if they host KKK orBlackPanther Websites. It doesn't matter.

Actually, the KKK at this point is just icing on the cake, a simple laughing matter.