Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Staminus Offline - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Staminus Offline

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2016

rds100 said: I think the KKK is a thing only in US. In Europe people know that such thing has existed back in the days, but don't know that they still exist now. People in Europe know about Nazis, not about KKK.

I was really not aware of the fact that people outside the USA are that uninformed about global history and politics. I am not an US-American too. Maybe it's my progressed age, but I thought that the KKK is part of general education.

• xaocxaoc Member

@Amitz said:

Your age's probably a factor. Not much media/films coverage these days on the matter.

• @xaoc said:

It's in every history book out there.

Then again, kids these days learn to play Angry Birds and How To Interact On Facebook before they get a history book :-S

• mpkossen said: Then again, kids these days learn to play Angry Birds and How To Interact On Facebook before they get a history book :-S

Maybe an Angry-Birds KKK edition can fix that.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amitz said: I was really not aware of the fact that people outside the USA are that uninformed about global history and politics. I am not an US-American too. Maybe it's my progressed age, but I thought that the KKK is part of general education.

Well, people inside the USA are uninformed, so why shouldn't foreigners be? :-)

I think the KKK specifically is obscure for a non-US person. Brits might tend to know something about them because they're a prime mover in the early Sherlock Holmes story, "The Five Orange Pips" (1891).

They have some famous imagery - white hoods, burning crosses, etc. - and were romanticized in the beginning of the 20th century (e.g., "Birth of a Nation" and Thomas Dixon's novels), but I'm not sure they're interesting for a non-US person.

The Klan had three ages:

• after the Civil War - random marauding, not very notable in a historical sense except in the sense that "some who lost the war didn't like it" which isn't surprising in any war. This is the original "hoods and lynching". More myth than anything organized (which is not to downplay their terrorism, just that it was part of the final chords of the Civil War).

• 1910s/1920s resurgence - the Klan's only significant mainstream political power, and it was brief (end of WWI to mid-20s). Most of the more organizational parts of the Klan come from this era as it was a sort of perverted "fraternal organization" in an era when fraternal organizations (Moose, Elks, Masons, Oddfellows, etc.) were at their peak. There were millions of members including congressman and even a Supreme Court judge, but a huge percentage of members were little more than businessmen looking to get ahead. There was of course a terrorist core and the group's ideas were appalling. Long before 1930 they were thoroughly discredited and bankrupt, evidenced by the fact that a Catholic won the 1928 Democrat nomination. The "Grand Dragon" of Indiana was famously convicted in 1925 of raping a young (white) woman - so much for family values. This in general was a wild era - prohibition/gangsters, etc.

• Since WW2 - random terrorism, with a spike in the civil rights era but mostly background noise. They ape (ha!) the earlier Klans but fundamentally they're just small groups of very splintered racists, and they compete with the whole spectrum of hate groups for membership - neoNazis, Christian Identity, Holocaust denial, etc. All you need to be a "Klansman" is a white sheet so I'm sure there will always be lone wolves.

I think every Western country has some small sect of racists/fascists - Britain does, Canada does, and I imagine most do. The Klan is just the American flavor. Owing to the civil war and the important role slavery played in US history, they are perhaps a little more famous but I wouldn't expect a non-American to know much if anything about them necessarily.

Sincerely,
    B.A. in history

• AmitzAmitz Member

How do people even understand the various KKK citations in popular media (Movies, Series, Comedy) without knowing the reference? This world, there it goes...

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited March 2016

They atleast _tried _with their database users...

"Intrepid" and "whmcs" users both had the same shitty leeted password of "zerocool", "23R0c001"....

These things happen, but with a company that's entirely about mitigating a malicious attack and providing security services you'd expect alot more. This seems like it was childsplay with the lack of PDO.

• utamautama Member

not every country taught about kkk. i only know about that because of reddit.

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited March 2016

@mpkossen said:
    It's in every history book out there.

Not in the ones i've had in school. :D USSR didn't care much about this i guess.

• AmitzAmitz Member

xaoc said: USSR didn't care much about this i guess.

Indeed, you had your own problems. Counts as excuse. ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • The white cape is pretty easy to dismiss if you don't already recognize the reference. Those who are not aware would just see a lynch-mob.

Discrimination based on race, religion or cultural identity has its roots in the sense of self/community, and is not unique to the West. You can't exploit another group of people without marginalizing and dehumanizing them - the use of language/slang is the first step.

BTW, I thought the Freemasons were much older. Knights Templar, Crusades and all that...

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited March 2016

While we are racist groups, can't believe the results in Germany, Merkel's party is losing just because of the refuggees :( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-13/merkel-party-declines-in-state-votes-swayed-by-refugee-crisis

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited March 2016

ManofServer said: While we are racist groups, can't believe the results in Germany, Merkel's party is losing just because of the refuggees :( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-13/merkel-party-declines-in-state-votes-swayed-by-refugee-crisis

That's because people feel betrayed.

Germany takes all the refugees despite them traveling through several safe countries before they come to Germany. According to our "Grundgesetz" we can't decline a lot of the refugees but other countries give a shit about them.

It's not up to Germany to take everyone and there are limits on what Germany is capable to do. No wonder right-wing parties gain popularity like the AfD (edit) who are mostly against letting refugees into the country.

rincewind said: BTW, I thought the Freemasons were much older. Knights Templar, Crusades and all that...

Provable to the late 16th century, though development of symbols and rituals continued well through the 19th century before formalization. Zero credible connection to the Knights Templar, Crusades, or any of that. Just a purely fraternal organization. When I was involved in Masonry, it was 50% charitable work, 25% getting together to eat, and 25% rituals and symbols.

Sincerely,
    A Master Mason (though I haven't been active in 20 years)

BTW, a LET mod who's a Master Mason should be enough conspiracy theory material to hold you all for quite a while.

• tr1cky said: Germany takes all the refugees despite them traveling through several safe countries before they come to Germany.

The reasons many of them decided to migrate in the first place was because Merkel basicly invited them - she said "we will take anyone that comes" - and here they come. And many of them are not refugees at all. Refugees are people who flee from a military conflict - like the people from Syria. But most of those who come do not come from Syria, they are just illegal immigrants from other countries who are looking to exploit your social system.

Thanked by 2boernd k0nsl
  • @rds100 said:
    The reasons many of them decided to migrate in the first place was because Merkel basicly invited them - she said "we will take anyone that comes" - and here they come. And many of them are not refugees at all. Refugees are people who flee from a military conflict - like the people from Syria. But most of those who come do not come from Syria, they are just illegal immigrants from other countries who are looking to exploit your social system.

So what is next, are you pro-KKK?

@ManofServer said:
    So what is next, are you pro-KKK?

Whoa...big difference between disagreeing with immigration policy and lynching people.

• @rds100 said:

Must be regional knowledge as here we know kkk nazis , etc . here = Argentina

• I do think the KKK is pretty famous, but I understand their significance doesn't really extend beyond North America. They have been active in Canada as well. As I understand it they were once invited to establish in my area in order to break up attempts of miners to unionise.

xaoc said: Your age's probably a factor. Not much media/films coverage these days on the matter.

Media and films is not exactly where one gets knowledge about the world - I hope!

• Brian Krebbs has an article about this matter. (sorry if it was posted earlier): Hackers Target Anti-DDoS Firm Staminus

If what is posted there is true, then it would appear that Staminus was not competent to manage their own security. Anyway, I wasn't there - but it looks like somebody else was.

• sinsin Member

lol Athena Layer is advertising on the Staminus facebook page

Thanked by 2ATHK inthecloudblog
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

raindog308 said: I think the KKK specifically is obscure for a non-US person

I think every one that has an average education know about the racist and terrorist organization KKK. But for non-americans, it is the acronym "KKK" that is not widely known, most of them know KKK by the whole name, Ku Klux Klan.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul raindog308
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Staminus gets hacked, thread turns into a healthy debate over knowledge of the KKK.

I can check this one off my bucket list.

• all thats missing is some aff links and some hosting 'recommendations'

Thanked by 2lbft zafouhar
  • Well in all fairness, there is good reason to suspect that the fact that the KKK web site was hosted there (and their subsequent doxing) could be a big part of the motivation for the attack.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2016

Ole_Juul said: Well in all fairness, there is good reason to suspect that the fact that the KKK web site was hosted there (and their subsequent doxing) could be a big part of the motivation for the attack.

Except the hackers said they only discovered the KKK stuff afterwards:

~[CTRL-H]~ KKK & FRIENDS This was a real treat and one that completely blindsided our team. After pillaging and generally shitting on the entirety of Staminus' & co's infrastructure, it was discovered that one of the client box's was housing a real gem. Yes, that's right, Staminus was hosting the KKK and it's affiliates.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @tr1cky said:

That would be true if most of them ware not economic migrants.

• raindog308 said: a LET mod who's a Master Mason

Holy Sh*t! I didn't think this was real! This is more interesting than the KKK stuff..

Any interesting initiation rituals?

rincewind said: Any interesting initiation rituals?

Very memorable - having a blindfold removed to discover you're in a dramatically lit room with men standing in tuxedos, top hats, and gloves is a memory I will never forget. Honestly, you can find detailed descriptions on the Internet - and before that, various exposes were published.

The rituals are innocuous but full of dramatic language, and sometimes plays, some of which are humorous. Most of Masonic lore is an acknowledged fiction about the Masons who worked on the Temple of Solomon, as well as some ethical teachings that are common to virtually all religions (e.g., the Golden Rule).

As I said, about 25% rituals (which is essentially membership induction), 25% eating, and 50% charity. We did a lot of hospital visits, helping out Masons who'd fallen on hard times (the fraternal aspect), answering various community calls for volunteers, bell ringing at Christmas, etc.

It really harkens back to a pre-technology age. Before radio/TV/internet, fraternal organizations were very common. Freemasons and Oddfellows took a very charitable/fraternal path (no drinking in Lodge), while some lodges (Elks, Moose, etc.) took more of a fun approach (discount bar). Nothing wrong with either of course. There were plenty of other fraternal orgs that came and went - you'll still find the Eagles in some cities.

• raindog308 said: (Elks, Moose, etc.) took more of a fun approach (discount bar). Nothing wrong with either of course. There were plenty of other fraternal orgs that came and went

Being a member of the Low End Fraternity of Cheapskates is good enough for me. (though a discount bar does sound interesting)